Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying to capture empty variable. Post 79286 by radhika on Tuesday 26th of July 2005 02:50:55 PM
Old 07-26-2005
ThankYou for the correction.

Although, in my case the file when created will be an empty file and will not be touched again.

Regards,
Radhika.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture an empty key press...

I am trying to test input from the user, if they press enter with out an Y or N. I have the characheter thing sorted but when it comes to a blank or empty key press I am having trouble. if ; then clear echo "Sorry, that is an invalid choice!" exit fi I am using a KSH script in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty Variable

I am trying to assign list of files that created that day to a variable 'filename' filename=`ls -ltr |grep "Mar 6" | awk '{print$9}'` If there are no files created that day, my script just hangs, i need help with some login here. i am also trying to figure out a way to look for files that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[csh] How to capture output from a command and pass it on to a variable?

Hi there! I'm trying to write a script that will capture output from a command and assign it to a variable. Let's say, for example, I'd like to catch from inside the script whatever the following command outputs: ls *.aaa and put it into a variable "listoffiles". What I tried was: set... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinogodzilla
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture value in shell variable from oracle sql?

Hi Friends, Do someone know how to capture value in a shell variable from oracle sql? Requirement : In a table we want to count the number of records and want to pass this value to a shell variable where it can be manipulated later. In ksh shell we open oracle connection from sqlplus. For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sourabhsharma
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Process with highest CPU% in Variable

I am trying to capture the process on a red hat linux system with the highest cpu utilization into a variable. I have been playing with ps command but really do not think I am making the correct progress. For instance: top - 09:01:16 up 63 days, 18:29, 2 users, load average: 0.39, 0.49, 0.48... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
5 Replies

6. Programming

capture the output of printf into another variable

Hi , I wonder if in java I can pipe the below output of the printf into a variable: System.out.printf(" This is a test %s\n", myVariable); I want to keep the output of the printf command to create my history array. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Script to Capture Each Line of File As Variable

Hi All, I'm working on creating a parts database. I currently have access to a manufacturer database in HTML and am working on moving all of the data into a MySQL db. I have created a sed script that strips out the HTML and unnecessary info and separates the script into one line for each field.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkr
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture Multiple Lines Into Variable As Of Standard Output

Hello All, I have the below script and output. cat test.sh #!/bin/bash -x logit() { echo " - ${*}" > ${LOG_FILE} } LOG_FILE=/home/infrmtca/bin/findtest.log VAR=`find . -type f -name "*sql"` logit $VAR Output: cat /home/infrmtca/bin/findtest.log -... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check whether a variable is empty or contains some value?

hi, i want to check whether a a variable contains some value or is empty in a shell script. so if the variable contains some value i want to do some job and if the variable doesnt contain any value then i need to skip that job. here is a sample script read_filenames.sh contains ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture system() function output in variable

How to capture system() function output in awk variable and the print that awk variable..... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharat1211
8 Replies
EMPTY(3)								 1								  EMPTY(3)

empty - Determine whether a variable is empty

SYNOPSIS
bool empty (mixed $var) DESCRIPTION
Determine whether a variable is considered to be empty. A variable is considered empty if it does not exist or if its value equals FALSE. empty(3) does not generate a warning if the variable does not exist. PARAMETERS
o $var - Variable to be checked Note Prior to PHP 5.5, empty(3) only supports variables; anything else will result in a parse error. In other words, the follow- ing will not work: empty(trim($name)). Instead, use trim($name) == false. No warning is generated if the variable does not exist. That means empty(3) is essentially the concise equivalent to !isset($var) || $var == false. RETURN VALUES
Returns FALSE if $var exists and has a non-empty, non-zero value. Otherwise returns TRUE. The following things are considered to be empty: o "" (an empty string) o 0 (0 as an integer) o 0.0 (0 as a float) o "0" (0 as a string) o NULL o FALSE o array() (an empty array) o $var; (a variable declared, but without a value) CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.5.0 | | | | | | | empty(3) now supports expressions, rather than | | | only variables. | | | | | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | Checking non-numeric offsets of strings returns | | | TRUE. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A simple empty(3) / isset(3) comparison. <?php $var = 0; // Evaluates to true because $var is empty if (empty($var)) { echo '$var is either 0, empty, or not set at all'; } // Evaluates as true because $var is set if (isset($var)) { echo '$var is set even though it is empty'; } ?> Example #2 empty(3) on String Offsets PHP 5.4 changes how empty(3) behaves when passed string offsets. <?php $expected_array_got_string = 'somestring'; var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string['some_key'])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string[0])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string['0'])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string[0.5])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string['0.5'])); var_dump(empty($expected_array_got_string['0 Mostel'])); ?> Output of the above example in PHP 5.3: bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) Output of the above example in PHP 5.4: bool(true) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(true) bool(true) NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Note When using empty(3) on inaccessible object properties, the __isset() overloading method will be called, if declared. SEE ALSO
isset(3), __isset(), unset(3), array_key_exists(3), count(3), strlen(3), The type comparison tables. PHP Documentation Group EMPTY(3)