Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Learning Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Learning Unix Post 7917 by garydavies on Wednesday 3rd of October 2001 12:59:46 PM
Old 10-03-2001
Learning Unix

Hello one and all
I am a Prof in a University in France and have been handed the "Unix" course and would like to know if anyone has a ready made course to propose to me for beginners, my students are in t heir first year and a few are ok with Unix, however i would like to find a detailed "lesson book" to teach these young people with ease, anyone with ideas please let me know.
Thanks in advance

Gary Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Learning Unix , Advice?

I am a long-time Windows NT, 2000 user at home and work. I want to learn Unix to broaden myself. What flavor do you recommend and how do you recommend practicing with it at home? how to get a copy of it to practice with? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robmaxfli
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is learning Unix worth it?

Hello. I am a comp sci major and am forced to take a intro to Unix class. So far i am loving it. I was wondering is it useful to learn more off on my own? Will it have any use to me when i get a job after school is done? Same applies to Perl Sed and Awk? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smiledk1
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where to obtain UNIX and learning on a UNIX variant?

Hi. I've just started to get into UNIX. Researched on the Net, found out that most of the UNIX variants are not offered online. 1. Any of you guys know where I could obtain them on the Net? or anywhere at all? 2. Does learning a UNIX variant enough to cover an understanding of other UNIX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninelives1980
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning UNIX

Hi guys! Am new to this forum so would like to say hello to all. Was wondering, what the best way to learn UNIX was? Theoretically or Practically? Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibah11
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Learning UNIX

Alright I am looking to further my knowledge and experiance with computers (Currently a PC technician but not much knowledge with other operating systems like unix/linux). What im trying to do now is get a basic understanding of unix and its commands, unix shells, the unix directory structure, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rycon
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Unix

Hi all, and thanks for viewing this thread. I have never used the terminal (UNIX) before, not until I read an introductory book about it: Unix for Mac OS X Tiger. Now I've become intrigued, and I want to uncover more of the mysteries of Unix. I've searched and searched, but there are many books... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hin
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I am learning UNIX and

I am wondering, is there a core book or instruction DVD that I can learn from and be functional in UNIX with. I know a lot of the basic commands and I just figured out how to create a file but, I want to be able to handle this with no problem. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MOSE
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning unix

Hi, i have started to learn unix (on and off for the past few months) and am wishing to move into that area in the administration field of it. I have been working in the help desk area (desktop support - windows based) for about 2.5 years and moved into a team leading role for 1 year in which i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donnieDarko
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning UNIX

Hi Everyone, I know nothing about Solaris / Linux / AIX but I know they are all part of Unix. I have been using Windows the last 15years and I have been a LAN admin, I am now working in IT Operations and we use some solaris commands but not much plus its from following a document so we can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxie
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Learning UNIX

Hi Guys , Hope everybody is fine . I am here to learn UNIX . Please provide any URLs/pdfs for learning . Thanks in advance. -Radha ---------- Post updated at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:48 PM ---------- Just to add , I am good at basics but unable to write scripts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radha254
4 Replies
books(3)							       Coin								  books(3)

NAME
books - Books Related to Open Inventor / Coin Here is a list of some of the better books for people that invested in software development with Open Inventor. If you have suggestions for additional books that ought to go on this list, please feel free to tell us about it. The Inventor Mentor (subtitle 'Programming Object-Oriented 3D Graphics with Open Inventor') This is an excellently written, detailed, tutorial-style introductory book for Open Inventor that takes you through all the fundamental design principles applied in the Open Inventor API, richly illustrated and with numerous, well documented code examples. The Inventor Mentor is getting a bit old, but do not let that put you off. It is as valid today as it was the day it was written, and we heartily recommend this book for anyone learning to use Open Inventor. ISBN 0-201-62495-8. You might also be able to find this book as a pdf file online, but we recommend having it in print. The Inventor Toolmaker This book explains how Open Inventor was designed for being extended by the users, and walks you through how to develop your own components that work with all aspects of Coin. ISBN 0-201-62493-1. You might also be able to find this book as a pdf file online, but we recommend having it in print. The Annotated VRML2.0 Reference Manual This book covers the VRML97 (aka VRML 2.0) standard, which Coin has implemented with its Inventor/VRMLnodes/* classes, which is an extension made beyond the Open Inventor V2.1 API. The VRML97 format has some significant differences from the Inventor and VRML1 formats, so it is a useful book if you want to use that part of Coin. ISBN 0-201-41974-2. You will find the specification documents for VRML97 online at http://www.web3d.org/. The Open GL Programming Manual This is the bible when it comes to OpenGL programming and is relevant for Open Inventor extenders that develop new nodes that implement or affect Open Inventor OpenGL rendering. There are many editions of this book since it is updated whenever new versions of OpenGL are standardized and comes out, so check that you have identified the latest edition if you order one. The Open Inventor C++ Reference Manual Although this book is directly relevant for Open Inventor, it does only cover the Open Inventor 2.1 API. This information is more or less also covered in the online doxygen doc for Coin, where you have it hyperlinked, and can also be generated offline from the Coin sources to have locally, so we do not think this book is very useful to have in print. We mention it anyway since it is an official documentation book for Open Inventor. ISBN 0-201-62491-5. Version 3.1.3 Wed May 23 2012 books(3)