Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO System hangs on data compression Post 79107 by RTM on Monday 25th of July 2005 11:58:20 AM
Old 07-25-2005
Seems like deleting things out of that directory means you aren't going to get good backups (it matters WHEN you are doing the delete).

Suggest you find more space (add a bigger disk, change your partitioning ) to make /home/compdir larger - the script is attempting to compress the data before sending to /home/compdir (assumption) so /home/compdir could be smaller than $BASE. If you set up /home/compdir to be the same size as $BASE, then you should not have an issue.

More importantly, supply your 3rd party vendor with the errors and have them fix this. Give them the size of $BASE and /home/compdir. They can tell you more quickly than anyone else what needs to be there and when you can safely delete files (deleting files should be part of the script unless it's saved for quicker restores).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Pulling a drive on RAID1 hangs system

I'm setting up a server with software RAID1, and everything is working perfectly, except that when I pull either of the drives, the system completely hangs and has to be rebooted. The computer is a Tyan Transport GX28, which is alleged to have hot-swappable SATA. I can fail a drive and the system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

system hangs in case of driver

hi, i am working on device drivers in linux kernel-2.6.11. Distribution is Mandrake-10.2. Basically i have to port the driver from kernel-2.4 to kernel-2.6.11. My system hangs,when ever an application calls select. Basically the kernel code for select, contains only 2 apis void poll_wait... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.ec
0 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris 8 hangs and data access error on reboot

Hi using solaris 5.8 on UltraSPARC-IIi 360MHz. I know it is an old hardware but similiar hardware is running fine. here is the issue, System booted : works okay for some time then display was hung so system was rebooted ..it gave data access error. again rebooted and it came up... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
6 Replies

4. Solaris

System hangs

Hi, today when i started the OS Sun Solaris 10 it hangs on initialization. Following was shown in the end of the screen Initializing system Please wait.... * Please help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check hardware data compression

Hi, I'm looking to check the compression ratio applied by hardware to work out how much free space we have on tapes. mt -f /dev/rmt0 status shows: If I add up the output of the du command and what we backup from the script, it gives me the total space we tape up. So the plan was to find the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rab
4 Replies

6. Solaris

System hangs (freezes) on system bell/beep

I am running OpenIndiana development version oi_148 32-bit on a seven-year-old Dell Inspiron 8600. Seems to be running fine except for one particular annoyance: It freezes whenever a system bell/beep plays. I have mitigated this by turning the system bell off in gnome-terminal, which I use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeadBadger
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Linux system hangs giving ntp errors

Hi folks, I am facing issue of my system (host1) getting hanged after throwing following ntpd messages. I am not able to ssh to the server there after. only option is to restart the host: Dec 29 02:58:51 host1 ntpd: time reset -0.207907 s Dec 29 02:58:51 host1 ntpd: synchronisation lost Dec 29... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SiddhV
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 system hangs

Solaris 10 (Sun V210) System hangs every couple of months. Have to go into ALOM to reset. I did a consolehistory report and seen this in it. Failed to exec inetd_start method of instance svc:/network/bootps/udp:default: I/O error WARNING: /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2 (glm0): Resetting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joeentech
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

system freezes / hangs

Hi, We're using - openldap-2.3.43-12.el5_6.5 nss_ldap-253-25.el5 on RHEL-5.5 Intermittently the entire system hangs, no message is present in any of the log files, login to the system fails, ssh fails, ping fails, the only way to recover is to hard-boot the system. We consulted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheRock
3 Replies
cachefslog(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    cachefslog(1M)

NAME
cachefslog - Cache File System logging SYNOPSIS
cachefslog [-f logfile | -h] cachefs_mount_point DESCRIPTION
The cachefslog command displays where CacheFS statistics are being logged. Optionally, it sets where CacheFS statistics are being logged, or it halts logging for a cache specified by cachefs_mount_point. The cachefs_mount_point argument is a mount point of a cache file system. All file systems cached under the same cache as cachefs_mount_point will be logged. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. You must be super-user to use the -f and -h options. -f logfile Specify the log file to be used. -h Halt logging. OPERANDS
cachefs_mount_point A mount point of a cache file system. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cachefslog when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Checking the Logging of a directory. The example below checks if the directory /home/sam is being logged: example% cachefslog /home/sam not logged: /home/sam Example 2: Changing the logfile. The example below changes the logfile of /home/sam to /var/tmp/samlog: example# cachefslog -f /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 3: Verifying the change of a logfile. The example below verifies the change of the previous example: example% cachefslog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 4: Halting the logging of a directory. The example below halts logging for the /home/sam directory: example# cachefslog -h /home/sam not logged: /home/sam EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 success non-zero an error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cachefsstat(1M), cachefswssize(1M), cfsadmin(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Invalid path It is illegal to specify a path within a cache file system. SunOS 5.10 7 Feb 1997 cachefslog(1M)