Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to set up dummy printer on UNIX Post 79095 by infierno on Monday 25th of July 2005 11:17:46 AM
Old 07-25-2005
I have something like that at office, using APSFILTER (on FreeBSD) we share a line printer using samba for our Windows workstations and lpd for some unix like hosts. The problem I found was not sharing the printer... the real problem was finding the correct driver for the printer, it depends on your printer model. Take a look at the printcap manual page printcap(5) on your UNIX system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware dummy trying to set up Unix workstation for Oracle at home for practice!

I have been planning to set up a Unix workstation at home to host an Oracle database just for database admin. practice. But I don't know enough about hardware to know whether this can be done on a regular desktop and the required hardware config. If anyone could kindly guide me in this mission I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmanpakdee
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

set up HP printer in Sun Solaris 2.8

Is there any documentation as to how to set up/register a printer in Sun Solaris server? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simt
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Printer set and format?

I have a network printer LaserJet 4050N on Sun Solaris Sun-Fire-408R. When I lp text.lis, it printed out steps like indent lines. When I unix2dos test.lis, it print out all right. I tried to print a report from Banner Finance - FGRCTRL, and chose the the same printer with command line: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simt
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix dummy's question

:confused: Hi, 2 questions to get some insight. Thanks (1) I would like to add a prefix (XX00) in each row of the line in my text file and save a newly generated file another name. How to go about it. (2) How to insert a blank line into each row in my file. and save the file another name.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merry susana
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Dummy

i need to learn unix real quick and i have completely no idea how. could anyone please tell me how to get material to get me going??? I am IT oriented. PLEASE ANY ONE???????????????? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quarmenna
3 Replies

6. SCO

Create dummy printer

On SCO Openserver we create a so called dummy printer that directs to /dev/null (we use this in our software to purge some stuff). Now I have SCO UnixWare 7.1.4, but I cannot create a dummy printer. I create the printer exactly as in Openserver by the Printer Manager, - Enter spoolname -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: p.vvugt
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Dummy!

Hi everyone!! i need some help to do the next exercice, if some one can help-me! Perform a script to swap two lines of a file. The name of file as the two line numbers are passed as a parameter. It should be verify that the file exists, have the necessary permits and lines. i try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freixo
3 Replies

8. SCO

How to set up a printer on SCO 5

1. Does all the man pr commands work as expected on SCO 5? 2. Do I have to do some special printer setup to connect the printer to the server before trying to print? Thanks - Much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ggats11
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash set dummy ?

Could somebody please provide me with verbatim description / purpose of the following ? set dummy $ac_prog; ac_word=$2 set dummy $ac_tool_prefix; ac_word=$2 could it be written set dummy $ac_prog; ac_word=$2 set dummy $ac_tool_prefix; ac_word=$2 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anne
9 Replies

10. AIX

How do I set up a Zebra Printer on AIX?

Hi All We have a Zebra LP 2824 that we are wanting to use to print mailing labels from our AIX 7.1 server. We have around 350 printers of various types and manufactures already installed and functioning so, we don't want to install CUPS. I can get the printer to print using Line Mode but,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DLooney
3 Replies
CANCEL(1)						      General Commands Manual							 CANCEL(1)

NAME
cancel - send cancel requests to an LPRng print service SYNOPSIS
cancel [ -P printer ] [ -D debug-options ] [ request-ID... ] DESCRIPTION
The LPRng lprm client supports an cancel interface when invoked with an cancel program name. This is similar to the ex(1) and vi(1) pro- grams. The supported form of the cancel command arranges for the named jobs to be removed from the specified print queues. The action is identical to that of lprm(1), including the options, with the difference that the last argument on the command line can be an optional printer name. If the name does not appear in the LPRng printcap database, then the name is assumed to be a job identifier. The format of request-ID should be either the identifier field value or the job number reported by LPQ. OPTIONS
-P printer printer name. The destination printer is taken from the command line -P printer value, then the environment variables PRINTER, LPDEST, NPRINTER, NGPRINTER, then first entry in the printcap information, and and finally the default_printer entry from the con- figuration file, and then the compile time default. -D debug-options Debug options for the program. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported by cancel: ID A request ID, as returned by lp. Specifying a request ID cancels the associated request even if it is currently printing. printer A printer name (for a complete list of printer names, use lpq). This method may not be supported on all systems, and the -P printer form should be used instead. ENVIRONMENT
By default, the destination printer is taken from the command line printer value, then the environment variables PRINTER, LPDEST, NPRINTER, NGPRINTER, then first entry in the printcap information, and and finally the default_printer entry from the configuration file, and then the compile time default. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: zero (0) Successful completion. non-zero (!=0) An error occurred. SEE ALSO
lpd.conf(5), lpc(8), lpd(8), checkpc(8), lpr(1), lpq(1), lprm(1), printcap(5), lpd.perms(5), pr(1), lprng_certs(1), lprng_index_certs(1). DIAGNOSTICS
Most of the diagnostics are self explanatory. If you are puzzled over the exact cause of failure, set the debugging level on (-D5) and run again. The debugging information will help you to pinpoint the exact cause of failure. HISTORY
LPRng is a enhanced printer spooler system with functionality similar to the Berkeley LPR software. The LPRng mailing list is lprng@lprng.com; subscribe by sending mail to lprng-request@lprng.com with the word subscribe in the body. The software is available from ftp://ftp.lprng.com/pub/LPRng. AUTHOR
Patrick Powell <papowell@lprng.com>. LPRng CANCEL(1)