Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cutting part of string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cutting part of string Post 79078 by matrixmadhan on Monday 25th of July 2005 10:13:27 AM
Old 07-25-2005
var=`basename /u09/core/inbound/abc.txt`
echo $var

I believe this question had been answered many times if I am not making assumptions wrongly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting Up a String

I have a file name coming in as such <string>_YYYYMMDD.DAT The string could be anything. I want to cut out the date and put it in a variable. Can someone help me with this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting segment of a string

Hi, I am using bash. My question concerns cutting out segments of a string. Given the following filename: S2002254132542.L1A_MLAC.x.hdf I have been able to successfully separate the string at the periods (.): $ L1A_FILE=S2002254132542.L1A_MLAC.x.hdf $ BASE=$(echo $L1A_FILE | awk -F.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble cutting characters into a string.

I just have a couple of quick questions. I am having trouble with this cut. I am basically trying to cut the string so that i can insert the users guess at the appropriate point in the string. $letters is the character count of the $word. What it seems to do is cut the character into the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makaer
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting the value from a string

Hi all I have a string variable ${WHERE_SQL1} where i want to cut the first value of a variable. Eg ${WHERE_SQL1} = 'Where a.id =.................' I the string to be 'a.id =.......' Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theeights
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with cutting a string

Hi All, I have a string in the following format "abcd | fghfh | qwer | ertete" I need to cut the values in the following format line1 = abcd | fghfh | qwer line2 = ertete Simply speaking a want to cut all the values before the last delimiter from the line and print it on one line and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_kv1983
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting Part of Output

Hello all I'm using bourne shell and need to figure out how to cut out a specific portion of some output. For example, my output from my command is: 12.12.52.125.in-addr.arpa name = hostname.domain.main.gov I need to get just the "hostname.domain.main.gov" part. What I'm trying... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lee.n.doan
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any shell scripts for cutting and pasting part of data?

Hi, I have a tab-delimited txt file as below. It is part of the original file. I want to cut the lines starting with "3" in column1 and paste them before the lines starting with "1" in column 1. So I will get Anyone knows any simple shell scripts to do that? The original file is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cliffyiu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a part of line till delimiter

here are the few scenarios... isoSizeKB text NOT NULL, reserved1 varchar(255), KEY `deviceId` (`deviceId`) `d5` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci DEFAULT NULL, `dHead` enum('HistoryInfo','Diversion') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci, `ePR` int(11) DEFAULT '0', PRIMARY KEY (`id`) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting string inside if

I was trying the below statement if It is working fine if I run it in a test file. but not working, when I am trying in my actual script. Error: : "${FXML_line:1129:1}": bad substitution Thanks in advance :) PS: Above if block I have a while loop which is reading a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a string using more than one character as delimiter

Hi , I have a set of files in a folder which i need to cut in to two parts.... Sample files touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch AE_JUNFOR_2014_YTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch temp_AE_JUNFOR_2014_MTD_2013-05-30-03-30-02.TXT touch... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
4 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)