Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking before start and stop processes Post 78734 by maldini on Friday 22nd of July 2005 02:27:24 AM
Old 07-22-2005
thanks vino for the reply.

but how abt the making sure the process will be terminated successfully?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Start/Stop Script

I'm a newbie to the Unix world Help! I have to maintain a host of Sybase database servers sitting on Unix Sun Solaris 8...I've been tasked with finding/creating a way to auto start/stop Unix via unix commands, specifically when the Unix servers need to be restarted we want Sybase to start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjv1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stop/Start proftpd

Hi everyone, I was wondering how to configure ftp access for one user when I found this board. After some searches I found my infos around proftpd (and the great config file proftpd.conf who answered to all my dreams...) but now I only need to stop proftpd and restart it (I guess it is needed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lomic
1 Replies

3. AIX

Start Stop Apache

I am in the process of reorging my Lawson db. I need to turn off the RMI server...not a problem. However my instructions also state that I must also shutdown my Servlet Container....I believe it is Apache. I have looked in /usr/apache/bin/apachectl What is the command for stopping and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MILLERJ62
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to log start/stop time of ALL processes

Hi all, I joined this forum today and this is my first question. I thank you all for viewing it. I will try to be brief. The OS: HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 There are lot of cron scheduled perl scripts running on this server, which do different things at different time. Some of them process... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesky099
10 Replies

5. HP-UX

ypbind start/stop

Hi, How to start or stop ypbind on HP-UX machine. Searched a little but could not find. thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
2 Replies

6. Solaris

How to start/stop processes

Please anyone tell me In my last interview the HR asks me how to monitor, start,stop & kill the various processes and subprocesses. Please anyone explain me clearly. It's my personal request (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stop/Start vs. Restart

Is there any functional difference between: issuing separate stop/start commands like this; super (handler) (instance) stop super (handler) (instance) start versus issuing a single recycle command like this; super (handler) (instance) restart (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newbix
3 Replies

8. SuSE

List of processes/ which ones to stop

Hi there, I've install a testserver with SLES 11.0! I'll install/test XEN + WebServer not all things at the moment! In a first time, I'd like to stop all unuse processes... but I don't understand all processes! As someone a list of all processes with his signification and which should/could... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiddenshadow
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

factor [start[stop]

Another question for you guys! This is so fun. So I am playing around with the factor operation. I read in "man factor" that you can actually print a list of primes in between a range, using the syntax factor ] However, every time I enter two values, it just returns the factored value.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: statichazard
1 Replies

10. SCO

Stop boot system at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases"

Hi, (i'm sorry for my english) I'm a problem on boot sco unix 5.0.5 open server. this stop at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases" (See this image ) I'm try this: 1) http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/50/37093/#post37094 2) SCO: SCO Unix - Server hangs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: buji
9 Replies
thr_join(3C)                                               Standard C Library Functions                                               thr_join(3C)

NAME
thr_join - wait for thread termination SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file...[ library... ] #include <thread.h> int thr_join(thread_t thread, thread_t *departed, void **status); DESCRIPTION
The thr_join() function suspends processing of the calling thread until the target thread completes. The thread argument must be a member of the current process and cannot be a detached thread. See thr_create(3C). If two or more threads wait for the same thread to complete, all will suspend processing until the thread has terminated, and then one thread will return successfully and the others will return with an error of ESRCH. The thr_join() function will not block processing of the calling thread if the target thread has already terminated. If a thr_join() call returns successfully with a non-null status argument, the value passed to thr_exit(3C) by the terminating thread will be placed in the location referenced by status. If the target thread ID is 0, thr_join() finds and returns the status of a terminated undetached thread in the process. If no such thread exists, it suspends processing of the calling thread until a thread for which no other thread is waiting enters that state, at which time it returns successfully, or until all other threads in the process are either daemon threads or threads waiting in thr_join(), in which case it returns EDEADLK. See NOTES. If departed is not NULL, it points to a location that is set to the ID of the terminated thread if thr_join() returns successfully. RETURN VALUES
If successful, thr_join() returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
EDEADLK A joining deadlock would occur, such as when a thread attempts to wait for itself, or the calling thread is waiting for any thread to exit and only daemon threads or waiting threads exist in the process. ESRCH No undetached thread could be found corresponding to the given thread ID. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
thr_create(3C), thr_exit(3C), wait(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
Using thr_join(3C) in the following syntax, while (thr_join(0, NULL, NULL) == 0); will wait for the termination of all non-daemon threads, excluding threads that are themselves waiting in thr_join(). SunOS 5.10 27 Mar 2000 thr_join(3C)