Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: osx mp3 player help
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) osx mp3 player help Post 78727 by eideas on Thursday 21st of July 2005 11:00:44 PM
Old 07-22-2005
osx mp3 player help

Hey UNIX Saviors,
I am not very familiar with unix commands so I need some detailed help please. I have a RCA Lyra MP3 player that is supposed to work as a drag and drop external drive when transferring my MP3's.

In OSX, the problem is that when I delete the MP3 from the mounted drive it deletes the files but doesn't free up any space on the drive so I can replace the MP3's. When I check the drive out on my Wintel machine the files are being moved to the Trash folder on the drive. I can delete the files from the Windows machine. In OSX, I am unable to view or delete from this Trash folder.

I believe that I could access this invisible Trashes folder using the Terminal but I don't know Unix well enough to do this. I would like to be able to delete these files right from my MAC so I don't have to plug the player into the Wintel box to delete and then go back to my Mac to upload the MP3's.

Can anyone give me the exact commands to follow to access this Trashes folder and delete the files?
Thanks in advance for you time and effort!
Dave

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

how to download a free mp3 player for linux

Does anyone of you have the links to a site where you can download a mp3 player for linux(fedora 1). :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting mp3

Hi all... Here's my question: -> considering i've got thousands of mp3s', named like "Artist name - Track Name", how could i write a shell (ksh, or bash my favorite, not knowinf enough any other language) that would create a directory (if not existing already) with the Artist's name, and move... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mp3 codec

I just need a mp3 codec that will decode mp3s so I can play them with my media player (probably going to be using XMMS) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synbios
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

good mp3 player for linux

Hi all i am lookign for a good mp3 player under linux which runs nicely with an amd64 (x86-64) enverioment. i used too use xmms but i just found out that there are no active develepors anymore (last active developer logged in on forum somewhere in augustus 2005) so does someone knows a good... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jurrien
6 Replies

5. Linux

Unable to install VLC media player or any other player in SL 6.3 distro

Hi, I am unable to install VLC or any other media players in my SL 6.3 distro. I am using yum utility to install the packages, but i am getting the below error messages, --> Processing Dependency: libpng15.so.15()(64bit) for package: vlc-core-2.0.3-1.fc18.x86_64 --> Processing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

OSX afplay command line audio player _manual_.

Hi everyone... I don't know if this is the correct forum but it is Apple OSX specific. It is a proper pseudo-man page for the sparse official one... This is as thorough as experimentation can get... Command line afplay, August 2016. --------------------------------- afplay -h ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
rmf(1mh)																  rmf(1mh)

Name
       rmf - remove folder

Syntax
       rmf [ +folder ] [ -help ] [ -[no]interactive ]

Description
       The  command  removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself.  If there are any files within the
       folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not specify a folder, and cannot find  the
       current folder, asks you whether you want to delete instead.

If the current folder is removed, it makes current.

Note that the command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution.

If  the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and tells you that this has happened.  This
       provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list  and  returning  to  the  current
       folder from which the list was extracted.

Using to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder
       itself.	If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-interactive
       -nointeractive
		 Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder.  By default, deletes a folder and its messages without asking	for  confirmation.
		 If  you  specify  the	-interactive option, asks if you are sure before deleting the folder.  You are advised to use this option,
		 since when deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably.

Examples
       This example shows how asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used:
       % rmf -interactive +test
       Remove folder "test"? y

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine the user's Mail directory

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       rmm(1mh)

rmf(1mh)