Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do u open a read only file in Unix? Post 78589 by JosephGerard on Thursday 21st of July 2005 02:59:30 AM
Old 07-21-2005
Question How do u open a read only file in Unix?

How do u open a read only file in Unix?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performing an open/read, open/write

I'm trying to do two different things (converting an OpenVms .com to a ksh shell script): 1) open/read/err= 2) open/write/err= Any help? I've found some things, but can't seem to find the correct way. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prosserj
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

open unix file in windows

Hi, I have a text file in unix. i am trying to give a link in Internet explorer to that file. If i click on the link in Internet Explorer page then it should display the text from file in unix. is that anyway possible.... i am trying it for past 2 days....if i find a way out i will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Win32::OLE open excel file as read only

I am using Win32::OLE to write a perl script which opens an excel file. That excel file is password protected and everytime i run that script dialog box pops up and I have to click on Read-Only then my script executes. Is there any way I can specify the readonly attribute in my code so i dont have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dguy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open .zip file created in UNIX

Hi I am using the unix zip command to zip a file name to name .zip. I am then ftping the file to my windows Xp desktop and trying to open it using compressed(zipped) folders. Then iam getting an error like 'the compressed(zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted' Please advice. regards,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
5 Replies

5. Solaris

file open/read/write/close/access by process

Hi want to know what file (descriptor+filename+socket) is being accessed by particular process on solaris. Purpose : while running perf. test, needs to find where is the bottleneck. We are providing concurrnet load for around 1 hr and needs to capture data related to file usage pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raxitsheth
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open windows's .url file in unix

In windows, I can create a shortcut for websites. It's a .url file. the content of the file is like: How can I open it, the .url file, in firefox or google chrome in Unix(or just ubuntu)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hz_i3
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to open a file and read a file in UNIX

HI can any one tell me how to open and read a file in UNIX actually i have the following script can you please suggest me on this.. LOG,">$log" or NotifyAdmin "Failed to open file $log";... this is the perl statement.. which opens log file. i want to open same log file in unix Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open a file in UNIX mode

hi, The function open(OUTPUT, ">$output_filename"); #opens the file in (DOS) windows mode. how to open the output file in unix mode. please suggest. thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read .csv file until open in vi editor

Hi, I am facing a problem regarding .csv file, my script does not read .csv file and if i open this file in vi editor and perform :wq option then only my script reads the .csv file. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranabhavish
5 Replies
ns_file(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				       ns_file(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_chmod, ns_cp, ns_cpfp, ns_ftruncate, ns_link, ns_mkdir, ns_rename, ns_rmdir, ns_symlink, ns_truncate, ns_unlink - File manipulation com- mands SYNOPSIS
ns_chmod option ?arg arg ...? ns_cp option ?arg arg ...? ns_cpfp option ?arg arg ...? ns_ftruncate option ?arg arg ...? ns_link option ?arg arg ...? ns_mkdir option ?arg arg ...? ns_rename option ?arg arg ...? ns_rmdir option ?arg arg ...? ns_symlink option ?arg arg ...? ns_truncate option ?arg arg ...? ns_unlink option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_chmod filename mode Change a file's access permissions. ns_chmod changes the specified file's permissions to mode, in the same manner as the Unix chmod(1) command-line utility. ns_cp -preserve file1 file2 Copy one file to another. ns_cp copies the contents of file1 to file2, just like the Unix "cp" command. The default directory is the home directory for the server. If -preserve is specified, the copied file will retain the creation time, modification time, owner, and mode of the original file, just like the Unix "cp -p" command. ns_cpfp fileid1 fileid2 ?nbytes? Copy a specified number of bytes from one file to another. ns_cpfp copies information from one file (fileid1) to another (fileid2). If you specify a number of bytes in the nbytes argument, only the specified number of bytes will be copied. By default, the entire file is copied. ns_ftruncate fileid ?length? Truncate an open file to a specified length. ns_ftruncate causes the open file specified by fileid to have a size of length bytes. If length is not specified, it causes the file to have a size of zero bytes. The file must be open and be a regular file. ns_link ?-nocomplain? filename1 filename2 Create a link. ns_link creates a link named filename2 that points to the file specified by filename1. If the link fails, a Tcl error is generated, unless -nocomplain is specified. ns_mkdir path Create a directory. ns_mkdir creates the directory named PATH, just like the Unix mkdir command. By default, under Unix the direc- tory is created with the file permissions set to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x.). These permissions can be modified by setting the umask parameter for the server. ns_rename file1 file2 Rename a file. ns_rename renames the first file (file1) to the file name specified by file2. Make sure that the files and the directories in which the files exist are read/write accessible to the username that's running the AOLserver. ns_rmdir path Remove a directory. ns_rmdir removes the directory named path, just like the Unix rmdir command. The directory must already be empty. ns_unlink [-nocomplain] filename Remove a file. ns_unlink attempts to remove the file filename. If -nocomplain is not passed in and the removal fails, a Tcl error is generated. ns_truncate filename ?length? Truncate a file to a specified length. ns_truncate causes the file specified by filename to have a size of length bytes. If length is not specified, it causes filename to have a size of zero bytes. The file must exist and be a regular file. ns_unlink [-nocomplain] filename Remove a file. ns_unlink attempts to remove the file filename. If -nocomplain is not passed in and the removal fails, a Tcl error is generated. SEE ALSO
ns_chmod, ns_cp, ns_cpfp, ns_ftruncate, ns_link, ns_mkdir, ns_rename, ns_rmdir, ns_symlink, ns_truncate, ns_unlink KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 ns_file(3aolserver)