Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Very Basic Question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Very Basic Question Post 78316 by bakunin on Tuesday 19th of July 2005 05:09:52 AM
Old 07-19-2005
I'd point you to the bootinfo command too, but I hope it is understood by the community when I say I won't deem you worth an answer because of your nickname (for the non-german-speaking: "Totenkopf"=skull) and the political implications it raises.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

I have some basic doubts. Can someone clarify in this forum? 1)if then eval ' tset -s -Q -m ':?hp' ' else eval ' tset -s -Q ' what does it exactly mean in .profile? 2) what are 'nobody' and 'noaccess' usernames in /etc/passwd file. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

hey...when i type who...what does "pts" field mean??? eg pts 0 etc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urwannabefriend
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Really basic question....

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I know a little more then it seems by me asking this question... here goes I have an old 486 box and I want to start messing around with unix. I've been taking classes for 3 or 4 years in c programming in unix, so I am used to the commands and such, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robherms
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Basic OS question

Could someone tell me the command to find out the OS version which will give 12 character not the 9 characters(which is usually machine id). uname -i gives machine id and uname -a is more comprehensive way to look. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic question

hi, I have a basic question,, i am in a directory called /intas/OCU_3.9.1/sbin ocuut1@france>mv itsa_tcs itsa_tcs_old mv: itsa_tcs_old: rename: Permission denied i am logging as the owner of the file. when i am doing this i am getting the above error of permission denied. I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic nc question

i'm doing this in one terminal: nc -lu 7402 and it appears to start listening properly, then in another i do this: echo "hello" | nc -u localhost 7402 and nothing happens on the listening terminal - what am i doing wrong? thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterworth
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

really basic for loop question

sorry for being dumb here, but is there a way my for loop can take an entire line of a file into consideration instead of each word in a line... ill explain if i have a file like this # cat list serial: 23124 hostname: server1 and a script that does this # cat list.sh #!/bin/sh ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

8. Solaris

patchadd -p ,, basic question

greetings, I am new to solaris, have a basic question. I have to check for patch 137111-04 (as prerequisite) for installing Oracle. # patchadd -p | grep 137111-04 # patchadd -p | grep 137111 Patch: 137137-09 Obsoletes: 120741-01 120986-12 120992-02 121008-02 121274-01 121414-01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mubeenmd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic sed question

Please have a look at below examples. Why do these 3 sed commands deliver the same result? Especially, why are there 4 "x" in the result instead of 3? 1. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/x/g' xaxbxcx 2. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/&x/g' xaxbxcx 3. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/x&/g' xaxbxcx Thanks for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Werner Gross
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic IF Command Question

Hi, I have a months worth of data that I need to separate into weekly files. There is a date column with dates in the following format: YYYYMMDD. I'm thinking I can create the weekly files by using a grep command combined with an IF command and specify each day of the specific week I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cwl
1 Replies
Statistics::Basic::Variance(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Statistics::Basic::Variance(3pm)

NAME
Statistics::Basic::Variance - find the variance of a list SYNOPSIS
Invoke it this way: my $variance = variance(1,2,3); Or this way: my $v1 = vector(1,2,3); my $var = var($v1); And then either query the values or print them like so: print "The variance of $v1: $variance "; my $vq = $var->query; my $v0 = 0+$var; Create a 20 point "moving" variance like so: use Statistics::Basic qw(:all nofill); my $sth = $dbh->prepare("select col1 from data where something"); my $len = 20; my $var = var()->set_size($len); $sth->execute or die $dbh->errstr; $sth->bind_columns( my $val ) or die $dbh->errstr; while( $sth->fetch ) { $var->insert( $val ); if( defined( my $v = $var->query ) ) { print "Variance: $v "; } # This would also work: # print "Variance: $v " if $var->query_filled; } METHODS
new() The constructor takes a list of values, a single array ref, or a single Statistics::Basic::Vector as arguments. It returns a Statistics::Basic::Variance object. Note: normally you'd use the mean() constructor, rather than building these by hand using "new()". query_mean() Returns the Statistics::Basic::Mean object used in the variance computation. _OVB::import() This module also inherits all the overloads and methods from Statistics::Basic::_OneVectorBase. AUTHOR
Paul Miller "<jettero@cpan.org>" I am using this software in my own projects... If you find bugs, please please please let me know. :) Actually, let me know if you find it handy at all. Half the fun of releasing this stuff is knowing that people use it. OVERLOADS
This object is overloaded. It tries to return an appropriate string for the calculation or the value of the computation in numeric context. In boolean context, this object is always true (even when empty). COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2012 Paul Miller -- Licensed under the LGPL SEE ALSO
perl(1), Statistics::Basic, Statistics::Basic::_OneVectorBase, Statistics::Basic::Vector perl v5.14.2 2012-01-23 Statistics::Basic::Variance(3pm)