Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: recursion too deep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting recursion too deep Post 78294 by reborg on Monday 18th of July 2005 03:18:06 PM
Old 07-18-2005
Why are you recursing?

There is absolutely no need to do so, and if the file never exists you are indeed in an infinte loop.

Code:
function chk_for_file
{
while [[ ! -f file ]] ; do
     sleep <some number of seconds>
done

<do whatever>
}

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need to ls all files in 4-6 deep dirs

I need to print to file , a listing of all files below a certain directory. Example: I need to print to file a listing of all files below the etc dir (including the subdirectories) with their full path. Any ideas on how to do this with one command. Or is this something I need to do on all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gforty
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Perl, Deep recursion? exit() ignored?

Hi all, I am calling a subroutine which checks if a log file is writeable and if not, prints something stdout and also log something into the same file, which doesn't work neither of course. Anyway, there is enough exit() calls, that should stop it working, but the problem is, that I get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
5 Replies

3. Programming

Deep copy of structure in C

Hi , I have a scenario where i need to copy the iter to another local variable , where iter is of type MCC_T_SYS_ADDRINFO *iter . struct addrinfo { int ai_flags; int ai_family; int ai_socktype; int ai_protocol; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files deep in directories

i need to find a portable way to go through multiple directories to find a file. I've trid something like this: find /opt/oracle/diag/*/alert_HH2.log -printordinarily, i can run the ls command and it will find it: /opt/oracle/diag/*/*/*/*/alert_HH2.log The problem with this approach is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
SLEEP(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  SLEEP(3)

NAME
sleep -- suspend thread execution for an interval measured in seconds LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> unsigned int sleep(unsigned int seconds); DESCRIPTION
The sleep() function suspends execution of the calling thread until either seconds seconds have elapsed or a signal is delivered to the thread and its action is to invoke a signal-catching function or to terminate the thread or process. System activity may lengthen the sleep by an indeterminate amount. This function is implemented using nanosleep(2) by pausing for seconds seconds or until a signal occurs. Consequently, in this implementa- tion, sleeping has no effect on the state of process timers, and there is no special handling for SIGALRM. RETURN VALUES
If the sleep() function returns because the requested time has elapsed, the value returned will be zero. If the sleep() function returns due to the delivery of a signal, the value returned will be the unslept amount (the requested time minus the time actually slept) in seconds. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), usleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A sleep() function appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 13, 1998 BSD