Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File concatenation problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File concatenation problem Post 78289 by jim mcnamara on Monday 18th of July 2005 02:25:15 PM
Old 07-18-2005
echo is adding two carriage returns - one for the character.

change echo "\n" to echo " " or change the parms to echo to suprress the second \n

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Concatenation

Hi, I want to write a generic shell script, which can concatenate n number of files passed as parameter ;to an output file which is again a parameter Example catfl.sh outfl.txt a.txt b.txt c.txt (3 files to be concatenated into a file outfl.txt) catfl.sh outfl.txt a.txt b.txt(2 files to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenation

How can I do this: date = 4 -----------> 04 Month= 3-----------> 03 I wish to make a varibale named Var1 which will hold the value of current date and month value as: 2 digits for date. 2 digits for month. So finally var1 should hold value as 0403 --- MMDD (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed line concatenation problem

I have a somewhat bizarre problem when trying to concatenate lines in a file. Using cat file.txt | sed -e :a -e '/$/N;s/\n/ /;ta' the output in file.txt should go from 1 2 3to 1 2 3 instead I only get the last line or 3. I find that if I open the file in gedit and hit delete in front of every... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pluto7777
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation problem

Hi there, I'm writing a basic script where I want to make a string of 2 numeric fields from a file, which I have done, but the behavior is rather confusing. I have a file of random values such as: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 and my awk code is: BEGIN { FS = " " } { str = str $1 $2 } END {... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HMChadwick
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Erroneous file concatenation.

I have more than one files in a directory , namely GLOW_OUT.txt FIELD_OUT.txt BASE_OUT.txt ... SHOW_OUT.txt What I wanted to do is to I am working in Korn Shell What I did was : for file in <directory_name>/*.* ;do cat $file | grep -v '^$' >> temp_file rm $file done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable concatenation through loop problem

Hi Team!! Please can anyone tell me why the following line does not work properly? str3+=$str2 it seems that str3 variable does not keep its value in order to be concatenated in the next iteration! Thus when i print the result of the line above it returns the str2 value What i want to do is to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Concatenation in a format

I have some files named as: error_abc.txt error_def.txt error_ghi.txt I want to concatenate all these into a single file say error_all.txt. The error_all.txt should be displayed like: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File concatenation

awk '{$2=$2":"$8"-"$3;$3=$NF;$4=$NF="";print $0 | $10=$10":"$8"-"$18;$11=$NF;$12=$NF="";print $0 }' design.txt Trying to concatenate specific fields in a spreadsheet and the others remain unchanged. I attached an excel spreadsheet (all the data comes from a design.txt), but I put an example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in Concatenation/Joining of lines in a dynamically generated file

Hi, I have a file containing many records delimited by pipe (|). Each record should contain 17 columnns/fields. there are some fields having fields less than 17.So i am extracting those records to a file using the below command awk 'BEGIN {FS="|"} NF !=17 {print}' feedfile.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Concatenation of multiple files based on file pattern

Hi, I have the following reports that get generated every 1 hour and this is my requirement: 1. 5 reports get generated every hour with the names "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CTLR" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.ACCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.BCCD" "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CCCD"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
1 Replies
BOOLVAL(3)								 1								BOOLVAL(3)

boolval - Get the boolean value of a variable

SYNOPSIS
boolean boolval (mixed $var) DESCRIPTION
Returns the boolean value of $var. PARAMETERS
o $var - The scalar value being converted to a boolean. RETURN VALUES
The boolean value of $var. EXAMPLES
Example #1 boolval(3) examples <?php echo '0: '.(boolval(0) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '42: '.(boolval(42) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '0.0: '.(boolval(0.0) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '4.2: '.(boolval(4.2) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '"": '.(boolval("") ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '"string": '.(boolval("string") ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '"0": '.(boolval("0") ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '"1": '.(boolval("1") ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '[1, 2]: '.(boolval([1, 2]) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo '[]: '.(boolval([]) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; echo 'stdClass: '.(boolval(new stdClass) ? 'true' : 'false')." "; ?> The above example will output: 0: false 42: true 0.0: false 4.2: true "": false "string": true "0": false "1": true [1, 2]: true []: false stdClass: true SEE ALSO
floatval(3), intval(3), strval(3), settype(3), is_bool(3), Type juggling. PHP Documentation Group BOOLVAL(3)