Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ifconfig problem
Special Forums IP Networking ifconfig problem Post 78254 by RTM on Monday 18th of July 2005 07:37:01 AM
Old 07-18-2005
Check your startup files in /etc/rc2.d and rc3.d - check for permissions (files should be executable (rwx or r-x) for owner - check owner is root. List them long (ls -l) and then check that all links are actually there (usually linked to /etc/init.d directory).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I have to cd into /sbin to get to ifconfig?

I have to cd into /sbin in order to use ifconfig to check out my network cards. This has only started to happen since I downloaded the last update from RedHat(The machine runs RedHat 8.0). Does anyone know what happened? More importantly, are there any sources that can help me with this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig

I am trying to change an IP address on a machine running HPUX10 After I change it I can ping it from the outside but it completely locks the console. After a reboot it returns back to its previous IP. Any ideas?? Thanks Brian (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
7 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

ifconfig

Hi, I type (as root) "ifconfig en1 ether aa:aa: " but it doesnt change the mac of my airport. Can anyone help me? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ifconfig!!!!

why the ifconfig command is not working in my machine? it says "-bash: ifconfig: command not found" why its says that? actually i m looking for "how can I know the Network Interface Card physical address?" Requesting u all for help. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moco
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig and ipconfig

hey, I know that ifconfig on linux systems is identical to win ipconfig. I wanted to know if there is a linux distribution (new or old) that uses the ipconfig command. thanks alot :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsmotix
2 Replies

6. Solaris

ifconfig -a not working

Hi All, I logged into a sun microsystems server box, using both a vnc session and a ssh session. I am able to use "ifconfig -a" in a ssh session, but the same on a vnc session says that its a invalid command. how is this possible, when i am logging into the same box through two different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pardhuhere
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

/etc/hosts changes when ifconfig......

Hello everyone. Im using last redhat enterprise edition and in my working environment, i'm always reconfiguring both interfaces , eth0 and eth1, everytime i change any interface, (i use ifconfig to change ip, and after i execute "/etc/init.d/network restart") my "/etc/hosts" file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trutoman
9 Replies

8. Linux

ifconfig - information

Hi All, I need some info on ifconfig. ifconfig is available in Linux and Solaris. However the options available in Solaris is not there in Linux. 1. ifconfig -a == output is different in both OS. I am somewhat able to compare the output. But one thing I am not getting is after the flags... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

not able to run ifconfig

Unable to run the ifconfig in my home dir.. I did add adding /sbin and /usr/sbin in th PATH But still unable to get that .. Am using red hat linux cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ifconfig Flags

Hi there, I need your help in understanding the below Solaris 10 ifconfig output; athnetspns02>ifconfig -a lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 e1000g0:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
2 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change access mode for files SYNOPSIS
chmod [-R] mode file ... OPTIONS
-R Change hierarchies recursively EXAMPLES
chmod 755 file # Owner: rwx Group: r-x Others: r-x chmod +x file1 file2 # Make file1 and file2 executable chmod a-w file # Make file read only chmod u+s file # Turn on SETUID for file chmod -R o+w dir # Allow writing for all files in dir DESCRIPTION
The given mode is applied to each file in the file list. If the -R flag is present, the files in a directory will be changed as well. The mode can be either absolute or symbolic. Absolute modes are given as an octal number that represents the new file mode. The mode bits are defined as follows: 4000 Set effective user id on execution to file's owner id 2000 Set effective group id on execution to file's group id 0400 file is readable by the owner of the file 0200 writeable by owner 0100 executable by owner 0070 same as above, for other users in the same group 0007 same as above, for all other users Symbolic modes modify the current file mode in a specified way. The form is: [who] op permissions { op permissions ...} {, [who] op ... } The possibilities for who are u, g, o, and a, standing for user, group, other and all, respectively. If who is omitted, a is assumed, but the current umask is used. The op can be +, -, or =; + turns on the given permissions, - turns them off; = sets the permissions exclu- sively for the given who. For example g=x sets the group permissions to --x. The possible permissions are r, w, x; which stand for read, write, and execute; s turns on the set effective user/group id bits. s only makes sense with u and g; o+s is harmless. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2). CHMOD(1)