Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get yesterday in yyyymmdd format Post 78120 by blowtorch on Friday 15th of July 2005 02:35:35 PM
Old 07-15-2005
I wrote this script to convert julian date into dd-mm-yyyy format. You could use this to get yesterday's date. You just have to get today's julian date (get this using `date +%j`) and subtract 1 from it. This will get you yesterday's julian date. Give this as the second argument to the script. The first argument is the present year in the YYYY format.

Note: I have changed the output so that it prints YYYYmmdd.

[edit]
Also this script will blindly convert whatever the julian date that is given to it. No error checking is done - so if you give the julian date as 0, the output you get for this year is 20050100
[/edit]

Code:
#!/bin/sh

check_done() {
        if [ $month -eq 1 -o $month -eq 3 -o $month -eq 5 -o $month -eq 7 -o $mo
nth -eq 8 -o $month -eq 10 -o $month -eq 12 ]
        then
                daysofmth=31
        elif [ $month -eq 2 ]
        then
                if [ `expr $year % 100` -eq 0 -a `expr $year % 400` -eq 0 ]
                then
                        daysofmth=29
                elif [ `expr $year % 100` -ne 0 -a `expr $year % 4` -eq 0 ]
                then
                        daysofmth=29
                else
                        daysofmth=28
                fi
        elif [ $month -eq 4 -o $month -eq 6 -o $month -eq 9 -o $month -eq 11 ]
        then
                daysofmth=30
        fi
        julday=`expr $julday - $daysofmth`
        if [ $julday -lt 0 ]
        then
                done=1
                julday=`expr $daysofmth + $julday`
        elif [ $julday -eq 0 ]
        then
                done=1
                julday=$daysofmth
        fi
}
#########  main script starts here
if [ $# -ne 2 ]
then
        echo "Usage: fromjul <yyyy> <julian day>"
        exit 1
fi

year=$1
julday=$2

month=0
done=0

while [ $done -ne 1 ]
do
        month=`expr $month + 1`
        check_done
done

printf "%.4d%.2d%.2d\n" $year $month $julday

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get yesterday date in yyyymmdd format

I would like to know how I could get a yesterday date in yyyymmdd e.g. today is 20011109, and I would like to get 20011108. Thank you!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk_newbie
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

How can i get the yesterday's date in YYYYMMDD format

How can i get the yesterday's date in YYYYMMDD format??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadsr
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format date from MM/DD/YYYY to YYYYMMDD

I have a file with some date columns in MM/DD/YYYY format: SMPBR|DUP-DO NOT USE|NEW YORK||16105|BA5270715|6/6/2007 |MWERNER|109||||JOHN||SMITH|MD|72211118||||||74559|21 WILMINGTON RD||D|11/6/2003|SL# MD CONTACT-LIZ RICHARDS|||0|Y|N||1411458| And I want to convert the date format to: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date format YYYYMMDD to MM/DD/YYYY

In my shell script i have a variable which stores date in the format of YYYYMMDD. Is there any way to format this value to MM/DD/YYYY. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nasirgondal
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the next day from 20100303 (YYYYMMDD format)

Hi , i have doubt in bash shell script.. for example my file name is sampledate.sh given command = ./sampledate.sh -d 20100303 -f karthi how to find the next day from 20100303 (YYYYMMDD format) After getting the next day ,changed date and -f argument value will be sent to one java class. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthinvk
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the date format from mmddyyyy to yyyymmdd

How do I change the date format from mmddyyyy to yyyymmdd in PERL. Can any one help me please. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thankful123
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Date after 5 dates in YYYYMMDD format

Hi Experts, How to get date 5 days after current date in YYYYMMDD format? How do we compare date in YYYYMMDD format? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: needyourhelp10
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating date in yyyymmdd format using PERL

Hi all, i had a code where in user will enter a date in yyyymmdd format.. i didnt use any validation for the date and now the problem is if a user enters date instead of month after year it is proceeding with the code.. like if the date is 20120426 and if the user enters 20122604 it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format to be changed from DDMMYYYY to YYYYMMDD

My requirement is:- there will be files at a location each day with the date format DDMMYYYY. Novawise_Activity_Call_Notes_04022013.txt Novawise_Activity_Inbound_04022013.txt Novawise_Activity_Inbound_05022013.txt Novawise_Activity_Call_Notes_05022013.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: djrulz123
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to conver YYYYMMDD to MJD format?

I would like to convert YYYYMMDD to MJD format for eg 20041223 converted to 53362 in MJD format i got logic from javascript to covert it to MJD which is long enough function YMDtoMJD (year, month, day) { var year; var monthi var day; var yr = Math.floor (year); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mandalmanas24
1 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of Easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-3hjy] [-A number] [-B number] [[month] year] cal [-3hj] [-A number] [-B number] -m month [year] ncal [-3hjJpwy] [-A number] [-B number] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-3hJeo] [-A number] [-B number] [year] ncal [-CN] [-H yyyy-mm-dd] [-d yyyy-mm] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of Easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -h Turns off highlighting of today. -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of Easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of Easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. If month is specified as a decimal number, it may be followed by the letter 'f' or 'p' to indicate the following or preceding month of that number, respectively. -o Display date of Orthodox Easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. -3 Display the previous, current and next month surrounding today. -A number Display the number of months after the current month. -B number Display the number of months before the current month. -C Switch to cal mode. -N Switch to ncal mode. -d yyyy-mm Use yyyy-mm as the current date (for debugging of date selection). -H yyyy-mm-dd Use yyyy-mm-dd as the current date (for debugging of highlighting). A single parameter specifies the year (1-9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calendar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as speci- fied by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calen- dar for the month of August in the current year). Not all options can be used together. For example ``-3 -A 2 -B 3 -y -m 7'' would mean: show me the three months around the seventh month, three before that, two after that and the whole year. ncal will warn about these combinations. A year starts on January 1. Highlighting of dates is disabled if stdout is not a tty. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian-Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. Not all options are compatible and using them in different orders will give varying results. BSD
March 14, 2009 BSD