Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk / bash globbing question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk / bash globbing question Post 78015 by franzke on Thursday 14th of July 2005 01:27:12 PM
Old 07-14-2005
awk / bash globbing question

I would like to process a list of files matching: GPS*\.xyz with an awk script. I would then like to output the files to GPS*\.xyz.out (e.g. the same file name appended with .out). Something like:
Code:
awk '{if(NR==1) {offset=-$1}; $1=$1+offset; print }' GPS*.xyz

this does exactly what I want EXCEPT redirecting the output appropriately. I tried
Code:
awk '{ ... print > FILENAME.out}' GPS*.xyz
and
awk '{...}' GPS*.xyz > GPS*.xyz.out

but as expected this did not work.

I realize that putting this in:
Code:
for f in ls GPS*.xyz

loop would work as I need but I would like an elegant solution that I can learn from.

Suggestions?

Cheers,
Brandon Franzke

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Globbing slash Wildcarding Question

I am on HP-UX and I am trying to come up with a method to call in a list of files named like so. filename020107.dat filename020207.dat filename020307.dat Obviously I can list them ls them like so, ls filename*.dat. In case you did not notice the number is a date and I was hoping to match... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash question

Hi Guys, I found this script for monitoring the status of a services: for i in syslogd cron; do if && ; then printf "%-8s" "$i";printf " is alive=A\n" else printf "%-8s" "$i";printf " is not alive\n" fi The script is working fine except if either syslogd or cron will have a defunct... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

globbing, $# is too high after wildcard expansion in bash script

How can I pass in an argument such as "*.k" to a bash script without having to double-quote *.k and not having *.k `glob` to match all files in the pattern? I tried using noglob in my script but this didn't work the way I thought it would.. expansion is still occuring, $# is higher than I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoo591
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash Wildcard Question

Hi, I am writing a BASH script. In a directory I have a bunch of files of various filename structures. How do I list all the filenames that begin with either a capital or lowercase A or T. Is there one command that could replace the following 4: ls A* ls a* ls T* ls t* Thanks. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

embarrassing question: is sh = bash ?

I would like to know the version of my shell. I usually type "sh scriptName". I googled for it and they usually say bash --version. But is the same shell ? Can I have installed multiple shells ? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested if question BASH

Just started learning bash ,and I am confused with sintaksis line 16: syntax error near unexpected token `else' thanks #!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter: " read num if(($(echo ${#num}) == 0 )) then echo No arguments passed.Try again elif rem=$(echo $num | tr -d ) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Globbing or not globbing

Hi guys, Here is a simple script. It writes the current time to specific files in a directory. The arguments are the names of the files to write the date to (without path nor extension). root:~# cat /usr/local/bin/dummy.sh #!/bin/sh -e for file in $@; do date >> /var/lib/$file.dat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File globbing questions

hi guys, jus some file globbing questions sed "s/^.*on//" what does the full stop and asterisk means? i onli know that ^ means inverse or not (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ment0smintz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negation in Bash Globbing

$ ls -1 a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 * b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 ** a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1The last result is not as expected. Why? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File globbing order

Hi , I'm facing a different behaviour with one of my shell script for last few days. It was working good before that. here is my code for the script FileRemove.sh #get the file name# file1=$1 file2=$2 rm $file1 # delete the old file mv $file2 <target path> #move the new file to the target... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
5 Replies
APSFILTER-BUG(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  APSFILTER-BUG(1)

NAME
apsfilter-bug -- create a half-automatic bug report for apsfilter SYNOPSIS
apsfilter-bug OPTIONS
none DESCRIPTION
With the apsfilter-bug script you can automatically create a bug report for apsfilter(1). A template report file is created which you can edit with your favourite editor ( emacs(1) by default, or whatever is entered in the environment variable EDITOR ). You will see a couple of lines starting with '#'; these lines will be removed before the report is sent. So if you want to use the '#' char- acter at the beginning of a line, just indent it with a space. A very important piece of the bug report is the debugging log created by aps2file(1), probably with a command like aps2file -D -o /dev/null [-P...] [-Z...] [input] 2> log.txt Unless you don't even have a chance to create a debugging log, it is crucial for serious bug hunting. After you have filled in as much (useful) information as possible, you must save the file under its original name, then exit your editor. If you invoked apsfilter-bug by accident, or if you need some additional system information to include into the bug report, just exit your editor without saving the file. NOTES
In addition to the stuff you've edited, some more information is appended to the bug report automatically: apsfilter version 7.2.6-stable ghostscript version (from 'gs --version') system id (from 'uname -a') configure options --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-awk=/usr/bin/awk --with-sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail shell executable /bin/bash awk executable /usr/bin/awk sendmail executable /usr/sbin/sendmail FILES
/usr/bin/aps2file script to create debugging output SEE ALSO
apsfilter(1), aps2file(1) BUGS
See apsfilter software center - http://www.apsfilter.org/ - for new versions, bugfixes and known bugs. Please use the new tool apsfilter-bug(1) to release bug- or problem reports. It automatically presents you a form in an editor window which asks you some standard questions. If you save and quit the editor session, then this report is sent automatically via e-mail to the proper apsfilter mailinglist. If apsfilter fails to print something or prints it in a way you wouldn't expect and you want to report an apsfilter error then please save the debugging output of one print session using the new aps2file(1) utility by typing aps2file -D -Z options file > /dev/null 2> file.debug and including the debugging output in the file file.debug into the edit session of the apsfilter-bug utility, so that it is included into the mail to the apsfilter mailinglist. Please note that you need to run /bin/sh (Bourne Shell), bash or a compatible shell, so that the above mentioned output redirection works. Under C-shell (/bin/csh) or tcsh it would't work. If you don't know, then simply make sure you use the Bournce shell by typing /bin/sh or bash, then you should have no problems with redirection of stdout and stderr (> /dev/null 2> file.debug). DOCUMENTATION
See official apsfilter homepage http://www.apsfilter.org/handbook.html Apsfilter Handbook including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) USER FORUM
Please send questions to the official apsfilter help channel apsfilter-help@apsfilter.org. The above section BUGS and the file HOWTO-BUGREPORTS tells you how to report bugs. If you want to know how to troubleshoot your apsfilter installation, please read the manpage aps2file(1) and apsfilter-bug(1) as well as the Apsfilter Handbook carefully. HISTORY
The apsfilter-bug manpage has been written by Michael LoBin <phallobst@web.de> and first appeared in apsfilter V 7.1.0. BSD
Dec 26, 2001 BSD