Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do l test for carriage return & Disk space usage Post 77969 by futurelet on Thursday 14th of July 2005 09:05:23 AM
Old 07-14-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Code:
 bdf . | awk '{ if(NR==2){print $5}}'

Code:
 bdf . | awk 'NR==2{print $5}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding disk space usage

How would I go about finding the about of disk space occupied by a certain directory? For example, /u1/cvera => 530 MB Thanks =) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvera8
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to determine the disk space usage

how can we determine the disk space used by a certain directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor disk space usage

Some times my disk space is used upto 100% due to the application logs . So this script is to monitor the disk space usage and wall message to the users about the disk space usage if it exceeds the limit set in the script. Here for example the limit is set to 80%. This job is added in cron to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip carriage return & append next line

Hello everyone, I am trying to search a file for lines that start with 'ip:' and have a carriage return after(ip:$). I then want to remove the carriage return from that line and append the next line in the file to the line containing 'ip'. I tried doing this with SED, but had no luck. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Usage - Space Used

Hi all, FreeBSD7.1 @ sh. In a backup script I am trying to get the blocks used by the backup once completed. I am using the function: #!/bin/sh spaceused() { du -d 0 "${1}" | awk -F"+" '{ print $1 } } to return the blocks used of said directory and contents. Via. command line... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
7 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Issue with disk space usage

Issue with disk space usage I have the following line in my "df -h" output: Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/ad4s1a 496M 495M -39M 109% / What is the issue with having 9% excess utilisation? How can I find out what this partition is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Disk Space Usage Status via email

Hi Guys, Is there any way I can write a script that sends DISK SPACE USAGE STATUS via email once a week? Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: g4v1n
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Generic command for disk space usage

Given this directory /web I need to get the current usage (in %) on Linux and Unix both using the same command on bash shell ? The command i tried was working on Unix (solaris) but does not filter the desired same value when run of Linux. My command df -h /web | awk '{print $5}' | sed -n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate disk space usage email alert

hi all members I have a shell script to generate disk space usage email alert if threshold is more than 80 %, now the requirement changed to keep sending alert emails for every 5% incremental usage ........ Any help would be greatly appreciated. ex - 80% , 85% ,90%,95%,100% we should get an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
6 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)