Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting expanding dotted paths to absolute ones in bash or sh Post 77837 by TanRanger on Wednesday 13th of July 2005 08:59:34 AM
Old 07-13-2005
Thanks, Pixelbeat. I'm new to *nix but I gather "realpath" is standard equipment so I assume this should still be portable. I try to stay in the habit of writing portable code whenever I have the luxury (or whenever I'm getting paid by the hour Smilie).

I condensed your two lines into one and it has shortened my code by quite a few lines. Just in time, too, as I notice I was a little sloppy in my handling of error conditions. If only all of the users could be counted on to know what I had in mind.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Dotted thread icons

Can you guys please enable the "dotted" icon option, so that the thread icon for a thread in which a user has posted in will appear with a dot in it? Thanks, Aaron (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
2 Replies

2. AIX

Is there a way to list all the functions dotted in to the env?

Hi People, Please advise if there is a command to retrieve the list of functions (user-defined) available at any certain point? Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: easwam
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expanding variables with Ed Bash 3.2.33

Hi, The following code finds the line containing fruits in test.txt and replaces instances of apple with banana. ed -s test.txt <<< $'/fruits/s/apple/banana/g\nw' What I want to do is put variables in the place of fruits, apple and banana. I have tried replacing ' with " to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: de_la_espada
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute and Relative Paths?

Can someone cofirm that I have got the paths correct here? :confused: $PATH_TO_TMP_DIR='/tmp'; #$PATH_TO_TMP_DIR='home/tmp'; $PATH_TO_YOUR_IMG_DIR = '/temp_images'; #$PATH_TO_YOUR_IMG_DIR = 'home/public_html/Midwich/temp_images'; Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stubie
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove absolute paths from zip archive

Hi, I need to write an bash script which works like it can copy files from remote machine through ssh to the server where script is running in zip format with the structure i want. I don't want to get absolute path in zip archive. Please let me know how it can be possible. ssh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
4 Replies

6. Solaris

exclude absolute paths when extracting Tar file?

Hi, How do I extract data from TAR excluding absolute paths for Tar? (Solaris) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to change paths inside a bash script?

i have some script with some paths inside it. The idea is to some files which is on desktop copy and move to another location. Problem is that inside script is similar to this: cp test1.zip /root/help/ because I allways have another zip files, does it possible to have some input which ask me... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show only the filenames under a directory without relative and absolute paths.

I am able to list all the filenames under a directory & its sub-directories except blent.tar on Linux find "/tmp/" -type f | grep -v blent.tar | rev | cut -d '/' -f1 | rev Desired Output: THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt javaws libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash argument not expanding in script

I pass an argument to bash as run. The first command in green executes as expected, however the second in blue fails as the $run does not expand. I tried to escape the variable with \ thinking the quotes were making the literal translation and also "${run}" but both did not work to expand the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[BASH] eval command not expanding variables as expected.

Hi Guys, I wrote a collection of bash functions years ago and now need to use them again but I'm getting some error messages when eval tries to expand the variables names. I recollect that I used the shopt command to set one of the options but I can't quite remember the command that I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
8 Replies
LN(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     LN(1)

NAME
link, ln -- make links SYNOPSIS
ln [-Ffhinsv] source_file [target_file] ln [-Ffhinsv] source_file ... target_dir link source_file target_file DESCRIPTION
The ln utility creates a new directory entry (linked file) which has the same modes as the original file. It is useful for maintaining mul- tiple copies of a file in many places at once without using up storage for the ``copies''; instead, a link ``points'' to the original copy. There are two types of links; hard links and symbolic links. How a link ``points'' to a file is one of the differences between a hard and symbolic link. The options are as follows: -F If the target file already exists and is a directory, then remove it so that the link may occur. The -F option should be used with either -f or -i options. If none is specified, -f is implied. The -F option is a no-op unless -s option is specified. -h If the target_file or target_dir is a symbolic link, do not follow it. This is most useful with the -f option, to replace a symlink which may point to a directory. -f If the target file already exists, then unlink it so that the link may occur. (The -f option overrides any previous -i options.) -i Cause ln to write a prompt to standard error if the target file exists. If the response from the standard input begins with the char- acter 'y' or 'Y', then unlink the target file so that the link may occur. Otherwise, do not attempt the link. (The -i option over- rides any previous -f options.) -n Same as -h, for compatibility with other ln implementations. -s Create a symbolic link. -v Cause ln to be verbose, showing files as they are processed. By default, ln makes hard links. A hard link to a file is indistinguishable from the original directory entry; any changes to a file are effectively independent of the name used to reference the file. Hard links may not normally refer to directories and may not span file sys- tems. A symbolic link contains the name of the file to which it is linked. The referenced file is used when an open(2) operation is performed on the link. A stat(2) on a symbolic link will return the linked-to file; an lstat(2) must be done to obtain information about the link. The readlink(2) call may be used to read the contents of a symbolic link. Symbolic links may span file systems and may refer to directories. Given one or two arguments, ln creates a link to an existing file source_file. If target_file is given, the link has that name; target_file may also be a directory in which to place the link; otherwise it is placed in the current directory. If only the directory is specified, the link will be made to the last component of source_file. Given more than two arguments, ln makes links in target_dir to all the named source files. The links made will have the same name as the files being linked to. When the utility is called as link, exactly two arguments must be supplied, neither of which may specify a directory. No options may be sup- plied in this simple mode of operation, which performs a link(2) operation using the two passed arguments. COMPATIBILITY
The -h, -i, -n and -v options are non-standard and their use in scripts is not recommended. They are provided solely for compatibility with other ln implementations. The -F option is FreeBSD extention and should not be used in portable scripts. SEE ALSO
link(2), lstat(2), readlink(2), stat(2), symlink(2), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The ln utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The simplified link command conforms to Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv2''). HISTORY
An ln command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 14, 2006 BSD