Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: increment a Variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting increment a Variable Post 77810 by pixelbeat on Wednesday 13th of July 2005 05:07:42 AM
Old 07-13-2005
be careful of spaces. You can't have spaces around =

COUNT=`expr $COUNT + 1`

vinos method uses the bash specific syntax
which will run faster as it doesn't need to
start a seperate expr process per increment.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment variable stored in a file

Hi, I want to write a perl script, which will increment number stored in file. I want to do this without any file handles. I think we have to use some UNIX commands. I am not sure how to do this with file handles. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solitare123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment of a variable

Hi All, I have a variable n that stores a number. Eg. echo $n comes out to be 120. I need to print 121 using echo command on n. Please advice. Thanks in advance !! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning_skills
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment a date variable in perl script

Hi, I have a perl script which prints epoch value of date in milliseconds as the output. My reuirement is that once the output is printed,the day variable shld increment by 1 and when i execute the script for the second time the output shld be for the new day value. My script looks as... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment a variable in unix bash

Hello There, I have been trying to increment the value of variable to 1, 2, 3 etc. but, it displays 1 1+1 1+1+1 ..... :wall: Could anyone help out with this? for i in *.* do s=`expr $s+1` echo $s j=$i$j mv $i $j done Any help is appreciated? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: amrutha0303
24 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable increment (of some sort)

i have a variable that has more than one value. i am declaring another variable, which will have the old variable data one by one. i want to use the second variable to hold the track of all the variable it has parsed from the first one. can somebody help me how do i declare and use the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopajitmalakar
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 4.0 increment variable

Hi there everyone! This is my first post so be gentle. I have a small bash script that is extracting 3 line every 3 lines. I got the AWK part but i cant do the loop part. #!/bin/bash export line=`awk 'END { print NR }' btnew` echo $line for i in {1..$line..3} #increment do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theodorosGreece
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment a string variable?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a novice at shell script. I am trying to write a script to determine each of the NIC configured on a linux system and its speed and Duplex. I came up with the following piece of code: echo `ifconfig -a | grep eth > /home/a/nic.txt` i=`awk -F, '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravin883
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment date variable

hey guys, I need to incerement the date variable for instance echo `date '+%F %H:%M:00'` this produces 2014-08-02 20:05:00 -I will grant this to : $Datehour and need to assign 1 hr from now to $Datelasthour -the script time will be used to talk to DB system information. however... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo_VERTICASQL
4 Replies
XmScrollVisible(library call)											     XmScrollVisible(library call)

NAME
XmScrollVisible -- A ScrolledWindow function that makes an invisible descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/ScrolledW.h> void XmScrollVisible( Widget scrollw_widget, Widget widget, Dimension left_right_margin, Dimension top_bottom_margin); DESCRIPTION
XmScrollVisible makes an obscured or partially obscured widget or gadget descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible. The function re- positions the work area and sets the specified margins between the widget and the nearest viewport boundary. The widget's location relative to the viewport determines whether one or both of the margins must be adjusted. This function requires that the XmNscrollingPolicy of the ScrolledWindow widget be set to XmAUTOMATIC. scrollw_widget Specifies the ID of the ScrolledWindow widget whose work area window contains an obscured descendant. widget Specifies the ID of the widget to be made visible. left_right_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the left or right edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved horizontally to make it visible. top_bottom_margin Specifies the margin to establish between the top or bottom edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved vertically to make it visible. For a complete definition of ScrolledWindow and its associated resources, see XmScrolledWindow(3) RELATED
XmScrolledWindow(3). XmScrollVisible(library call)