Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting expanding dotted paths to absolute ones in bash or sh Post 77806 by pixelbeat on Wednesday 13th of July 2005 04:44:47 AM
Old 07-13-2005
I use this alias a lot:
alias realpath='readlink -f'

So in your script just do:

path=`realpath "$1"`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Dotted thread icons

Can you guys please enable the "dotted" icon option, so that the thread icon for a thread in which a user has posted in will appear with a dot in it? Thanks, Aaron (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
2 Replies

2. AIX

Is there a way to list all the functions dotted in to the env?

Hi People, Please advise if there is a command to retrieve the list of functions (user-defined) available at any certain point? Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: easwam
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expanding variables with Ed Bash 3.2.33

Hi, The following code finds the line containing fruits in test.txt and replaces instances of apple with banana. ed -s test.txt <<< $'/fruits/s/apple/banana/g\nw' What I want to do is put variables in the place of fruits, apple and banana. I have tried replacing ' with " to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: de_la_espada
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute and Relative Paths?

Can someone cofirm that I have got the paths correct here? :confused: $PATH_TO_TMP_DIR='/tmp'; #$PATH_TO_TMP_DIR='home/tmp'; $PATH_TO_YOUR_IMG_DIR = '/temp_images'; #$PATH_TO_YOUR_IMG_DIR = 'home/public_html/Midwich/temp_images'; Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stubie
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove absolute paths from zip archive

Hi, I need to write an bash script which works like it can copy files from remote machine through ssh to the server where script is running in zip format with the structure i want. I don't want to get absolute path in zip archive. Please let me know how it can be possible. ssh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
4 Replies

6. Solaris

exclude absolute paths when extracting Tar file?

Hi, How do I extract data from TAR excluding absolute paths for Tar? (Solaris) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to change paths inside a bash script?

i have some script with some paths inside it. The idea is to some files which is on desktop copy and move to another location. Problem is that inside script is similar to this: cp test1.zip /root/help/ because I allways have another zip files, does it possible to have some input which ask me... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show only the filenames under a directory without relative and absolute paths.

I am able to list all the filenames under a directory & its sub-directories except blent.tar on Linux find "/tmp/" -type f | grep -v blent.tar | rev | cut -d '/' -f1 | rev Desired Output: THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt javaws libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash argument not expanding in script

I pass an argument to bash as run. The first command in green executes as expected, however the second in blue fails as the $run does not expand. I tried to escape the variable with \ thinking the quotes were making the literal translation and also "${run}" but both did not work to expand the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[BASH] eval command not expanding variables as expected.

Hi Guys, I wrote a collection of bash functions years ago and now need to use them again but I'm getting some error messages when eval tries to expand the variables names. I recollect that I used the shopt command to set one of the options but I can't quite remember the command that I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
8 Replies
SYMLINKS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SYMLINKS(8)

NAME
symlinks - symbolic link maintenance utility SYNOPSIS
symlinks [ -cdrstv ] dirlist DESCRIPTION
symlinks is a useful utility for maintainers of FTP sites, CDROMs, and Linux software distributions. It scans directories for symbolic links and lists them on stdout, often revealing flaws in the filesystem tree. Each link is output with a classification of relative, absolute, dangling, messy, lengthy, or other_fs. relative links are those expressed as paths relative to the directory in which the links reside, usually independent of the mount point of the filesystem. absolute links are those given as an absolute path from the root directory as indicated by a leading slash (/). dangling links are those for which the target of the link does not currently exist. This commonly occurs for absolute links when a filesystem is mounted at other than its customary mount point (such as when the normal root filesystem is mounted at /mnt after booting from alternative media). messy links are links which contain unnecessary slashes or dots in the path. These are cleaned up as well when -c is specified. lengthy links are links which use "../" more than necessary in the path (eg. /bin/vi -> ../bin/vim) These are only detected when -s is specified, and are only cleaned up when -c is also specified. other_fs are those links whose target currently resides on a different filesystem from where symlinks was run (most useful with -r ). OPTIONS
-c convert absolute links (within the same filesystem) to relative links. This permits links to maintain their validity regardless of the mount point used for the filesystem -- a desirable setup in most cases. This option also causes any messy links to be cleaned up, and, if -s was also specified, then lengthy links are also shortened. Links affected by -c are prefixed with changed in the output. -d causes dangling links to be removed. -r recursively operate on subdirectories within the same filesystem. -s causes lengthy links to be detected. -t is used to test for what symlinks would do if -c were specified, but without really changing anything. -v show all symbolic links. By default, relative links are not shown unless -v is specified. BUGS
symlinks does not recurse or change links across filesystems. AUTHOR
symlinks has been written by Mark Lord <mlord@bnr.ca>, the developer and maintainer of the IDE Performance Package for linux. SEE ALSO
symlink(2) Version 1.2 November 1994 SYMLINKS(8)