Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Korn vs Bash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Korn vs Bash Post 7777 by jpprial on Tuesday 2nd of October 2001 02:09:58 AM
Old 10-02-2001
Korn vs Bash

Let's say I have
Code:
alias good_op=`[[ "$sign" = "+" || "$sign" = "-" ]]`

in a Korn shell script. How can I write that in a non-interactive bash shell?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn syntax

Hi, how do I write this condition in korn shell: file="*.html" if then echo "$file" fi I am trying to find all html files from a input text file that were created today and ftp them to a different server. please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sajjad02
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell

Hi I am new to shell programming. I need help to write a script to monitor a process on Sun OS. If the process fails then call a oracle procedure. i check the process if running by typing ps -ef | grep ESP | grep -v grep root 29002 1 0 Mar 18 ? 7:20... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpanesar
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

korn shell to bash - statement not working

Everything else seems to be working, but this isn't. Is it the "cat..." that is wrong of the condition? Thanks. cat tc_result.txt | while read LINE do if then let "files_run += 1"; echo "inside the if loop" # save current filetype case $LINE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Korn vs. Bash - which to use

Hello: I'm a newbie to Unix/Linus and shell scripting. This is probably a stupid question but here goes. Some people at work use Korn for scripting while others use Bash. What is the difference between the two? If the two is better to use? When a person logs in, one will type... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbradshaw
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell

I am using korn shell but I want to have my prompt to represnent that of my C shell because I like it better. Is there anyway to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vthokiefan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn/bash Script to monitor a file a check for specific data

Hi, Im trying to write this script but im stuck on it, basicaly what i want to do is to write a code to verify a log file ( apache log file for example ) and for each new line with specific data , then, output this new line for another file: full ex: output of the server.log is (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thales.Claro
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with korn script

Hi guys, I am new to unix scripting. I have a folder rx and it has subfolders rx1,rx2 and rx3 each subfolder has 4 directories each load,land,arch and extr I have the below tar and rm commands using wich we should write a shell script rx1-- tar -cf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kornscript
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difficulty with a couple commands porting from korn shell to bash

I am relatively new to shell scripting. I have a script I wrote that works fine in korn shell. I need to make it work in bash on a different server. There are a couple valid korn shell commands I am having difficulty finding the bash equivalents for. At one point the scripts prompts the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: inakajin
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to korn shell

I am new to korn shell and slowly learning. Is there a way to have a parent script prompt for input and then execute a child script and return the output then move forward and ask for more input and then execute the next child script? I think the answer is no but thought i would ask. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cptkirkh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Korn Shell to Linux Bash

Migrating Unix batch jobs (Korn Shell) running in HP-UX server to Linux environment. Hi All Please help me to understand the easiest way to migrate Kernel Shell scripts to Linux Bash. Also let me know 1. Any automated scripts or tools available for this. 2. Challenges and issues... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpremesh
5 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)