Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking How to Network a PowerMac & a PC Post 777 by Neo on Wednesday 17th of January 2001 09:05:43 PM
Old 01-17-2001
Computers communcate cross-platform because they support a common (standard) network-protocol. In the case of the systems you mention, only TCP/IP is required to interoperate (provided you have them physically connected using standard link-layer protocols Smilie. There are myriad applications that run on top of TCP/IP based on your processing requirements.

[Edited by Neo on 01-17-2001 at 09:07 PM]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Mac OS X And The PowerMac G5

When they say that the G5 is the faster (more faster) than any UNIX Workstation that means Dual Processor Workstations right? (Stupid Question, I know) I heard theres one Super Super clusternode in a research and varsity joint in the US that will have over 1200 G5's chips in it? Medical,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedVenim
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX system & Network Administration II.PDF

Dear all, I plan to take HP-UX cert. EXAM. But, I cannot find hp-ux system & network administration II.pdf file Do you know where can I download?? Do you have? can you send to me? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkpcman
2 Replies

3. Linux Benchmarks

PowerMac 4400 YLD 3.0

CPU/Speed: PowerPC 603ev 200Mhz Ram: 92M EDO Ram Motherboard: Apple Bus: 2 PCI Cache: L1 32k and L2 256k Controller: ATA Disk: 2GB ATA Load: 1 user, running httpd, Xwin, various daemons Kernel: Linux 2.4.22-2f Kernel ELF?: ??? pgms: gcc versión 3.2.2 20030217 (Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 3.2.2-2a);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: clemare
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

How to find out why the network was down?, now the server is up & running

Hi there, solaris server was not reachable. Now the server is up & running I have to investigate the network logs (where i can get these logs)as such network issues are happening frequently. How to find why the netwrok has gone down ?? Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Iqan Zahera
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Shell Script & Blade Logic & Network Security

I am going to take up a position in Data & Network Security. I would need to write network shell scripts doing the following task: Going to around 2000 servers and findout which groups has access to each servers and which ids are there in each group that has access. I need to implement... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
1 Replies

6. UNIX Benchmarks

Early PowerMac G5

Hardware Overview: Model Name: Power Mac G5 Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2 Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2) Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz Number Of CPUs: 2 L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB Memory: 1.5 GB Bus Speed: 900 MHz Boot ROM Version:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tnorth
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Career in Networking & Network Security

Hii i want to make career in networking and i m new in this field could u plz help me what should i do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawan_kumar
2 Replies

8. Hardware

Disk I/O & Network I/O

HI Team, I am working on ubuntu server through ssh, as its in US and i am in India. From last 4/5 days its working very slowly. It doen'st shows any load or more procsses, but works slowly. For that my senior told me to check Disk I/O & Network I/O of that server. Can anybody help me. I dont know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
0 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Disk I/O & Network I/O

HI Team, I am working on ubuntu server through ssh, as its in US and i am in India. From last 4/5 days its working very slowly. It doen'st shows any load or more procsses, but works slowly. For that my senior told me to check Disk I/O & Network I/O of that server. Can anybody help me. I dont... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

hostapd & wired network ?

hi im using the following network with hostapd on the authenticator : Authentication server <---wired---> Authenticator(hostapd<----wired---> User (win XP with WinRadius) 1.100 -------- 1.200 , 0.13 ----- 0.12 and this is my configurations for hostapd : interface=eth1 driver=wired... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: turner
0 Replies
SOCKET_CREATE(3)							 1							  SOCKET_CREATE(3)

socket_create - Create a socket (endpoint for communication)

SYNOPSIS
resource socket_create (int $domain, int $type, int $protocol) DESCRIPTION
Creates and returns a socket resource, also referred to as an endpoint of communication. A typical network connection is made up of 2 sockets, one performing the role of the client, and another performing the role of the server. PARAMETERS
o $domain - The $domain parameter specifies the protocol family to be used by the socket. Available address/protocol families +---------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Domain | | | | | | | Description | | | | +---------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | |AF_INET | | | | | | | IPv4 Internet based protocols. TCP and UDP are | | | common protocols of this protocol family. | | | | | | | |AF_INET6 | | | | | | | IPv6 Internet based protocols. TCP and UDP are | | | common protocols of this protocol family. | | | | | | | |AF_UNIX | | | | | | | Local communication protocol family. High effi- | | | ciency and low overhead make it a great form of | | | IPC (Interprocess Communication). | | | | +---------+---------------------------------------------------+ o $type - The $type parameter selects the type of communication to be used by the socket. Available socket types +---------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Type | | | | | | | Description | | | | +---------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | SOCK_STREAM | | | | | | | Provides sequenced, reliable, full-duplex, con- | | | nection-based byte streams. An out-of-band data | | | transmission mechanism may be supported. The TCP | | | protocol is based on this socket type. | | | | | | | | SOCK_DGRAM | | | | | | | Supports datagrams (connectionless, unreliable | | | messages of a fixed maximum length). The UDP pro- | | | tocol is based on this socket type. | | | | | | | |SOCK_SEQPACKET | | | | | | | Provides a sequenced, reliable, two-way connec- | | | tion-based data transmission path for datagrams | | | of fixed maximum length; a consumer is required | | | to read an entire packet with each read call. | | | | | | | | SOCK_RAW | | | | | | | Provides raw network protocol access. This spe- | | | cial type of socket can be used to manually con- | | | struct any type of protocol. A common use for | | | this socket type is to perform ICMP requests | | | (like ping). | | | | | | | | SOCK_RDM | | | | | | | Provides a reliable datagram layer that does not | | | guarantee ordering. This is most likely not | | | implemented on your operating system. | | | | +---------------+---------------------------------------------------+ o $protocol - The $protocol parameter sets the specific protocol within the specified $domain to be used when communicating on the returned socket. The proper value can be retrieved by name by using getprotobyname(3). If the desired protocol is TCP, or UDP the corre- sponding constants SOL_TCP, and SOL_UDP can also be used. Common protocols +-----+---------------------------------------------------+ |Name | | | | | | | Description | | | | +-----+---------------------------------------------------+ |icmp | | | | | | | The Internet Control Message Protocol is used | | | primarily by gateways and hosts to report errors | | | in datagram communication. The "ping" command | | | (present in most modern operating systems) is an | | | example application of ICMP. | | | | |udp | | | | | | | The User Datagram Protocol is a connectionless, | | | unreliable, protocol with fixed record lengths. | | | Due to these aspects, UDP requires a minimum | | | amount of protocol overhead. | | | | |tcp | | | | | | | The Transmission Control Protocol is a reliable, | | | connection based, stream oriented, full duplex | | | protocol. TCP guarantees that all data packets | | | will be received in the order in which they were | | | sent. If any packet is somehow lost during commu- | | | nication, TCP will automatically retransmit the | | | packet until the destination host acknowledges | | | that packet. For reliability and performance rea- | | | sons, the TCP implementation itself decides the | | | appropriate octet boundaries of the underlying | | | datagram communication layer. Therefore, TCP | | | applications must allow for the possibility of | | | partial record transmission. | | | | +-----+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
socket_create(3) returns a socket resource on success, or FALSE on error. The actual error code can be retrieved by calling socket_last_error(3). This error code may be passed to socket_strerror(3) to get a textual explanation of the error. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS If an invalid $domain or $type is given, socket_create(3) defaults to AF_INET and SOCK_STREAM respectively and additionally emits an E_WARNING message. SEE ALSO
socket_accept(3), socket_bind(3), socket_connect(3), socket_listen(3), socket_last_error(3), socket_strerror(3). PHP Documentation Group SOCKET_CREATE(3)