Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIS problem with netgroup
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users NIS problem with netgroup Post 7767 by loadc on Monday 1st of October 2001 11:01:52 PM
Old 10-02-2001
You must be HUGE!!!

Just kidding,

I had a similar problem, but mine was due to the fact that my groups file was about 16K+ lines long. The version of libs that my NIS was built with had a limit around 15K lines. My vendor told me where I could stick my desire that they re-write NIS on the platform, mostly because they are dropping the OS shortly and going in a new direction.
I am also having issues now that my passwd file is getting too large as well. I may have to move to LDAP, and I am hoping that will work. My company is looking at Active Directory, but I don't see where that'll help me, I can't query it from unix, and I can't write any scripts to update it from there either, so I think I'm a gonna go out and get one of them new-fangled directory servers. I already did it once, and then they canned my idea in favor of waiting for company wide standards for LDAP, well they came out, and they read: Active Directory....

Pile of crap,

loadc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS Problem

Hi all, I use a sparc 1000 Enterprice server with solaris 5.8 as nis server. IŽam able to login as root user on the server and switch after that to any other user (If I am switch as root user) . So far so good. But if i try a rlogin server -l user_name or su - user (if I am no root user)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS config problem

Hi Experts, For configuring NIS server/clients which i've done several times already, i faced some problem which i have not seen before. The problem is that after configuring NIS server & the clients, for instance when i run "ypcat hosts " it gives this message: "No such map in domain services"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
5 Replies

3. Solaris

NIS Problem

I have a Solaris 9 system running on a sparc platform which is configured for NIS. The domain is set to unixlab.ocas.uc.edu on this system and the yp processes are running. The client machinces successfully binds using the ypinit -c command and specifying the servers name. I also copied the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
2 Replies

4. Solaris

NIS Problem

I'm having an issue with NIS. I run the following: ./nisclient -i -d XXX.XXXX.XXX -h XXXX-XXXX Everytime I do this with both my master and slave servers up and running and I go to reboot my client the client will hang after starting RPCBIND, and NIS Cachemanager. If I take my slave NIS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buckhtr77
1 Replies

5. Solaris

annoying problem with nis

This is my home set up I have 2 solaris boxes at home. One is a nis server and one is client. everytime I start the client without server, it will hang permanently looking for for nis server. is there a way to get around this? Can you set timeout the nis client? I use nis becuase my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: congngo
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS Group, Netgroup

Hi all, Is there a way for me to know the NIS group and Netgroup my UNIX account? Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

NIS problem

Hello Everyone! When my NIS clients sync to the master server they have a problem with only the group maps. Upon executing "ypcat group" on the client, just one entry displayed for groups. That entry corresponds to the local group account (/etc/group) on the master. This particular group... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
0 Replies

8. Linux

/etc/security/limits.conf NIS netgroup support

Hi there, I am trying to set a ulimit max in the /etc/security/limits.conf against a NIS netgroup (which contains a whole bunch of users) instead of a local user or group. so I have a NIS netgroup called +@myusers , none of whose users are defined locally on the box. I want to ensure that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change to NIS netgroup definition in upcoming Internet Draft

I'm considering the merits of slightly redefining the "domain" field in a NIS netgroup (the third field in the triple) to make it more useful, in a new Internet Draft that I am currently developing. Does anyone out there who uses NIS actually make use of the "domain" field? The places I've worked... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cambridge
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pull Netgroup from Servers

Hi, How to pull netgroup from all servers I think the netgroup resides in /etc/security/access.conf so I want to know how to get the list of netgroup in all the servers. I have a jump server I can run the script from there to get the list but not sure how to do the script. Any ideas or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
1 Replies
NETGROUP(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       NETGROUP(5)

NAME
netgroup -- defines network groups SYNOPSIS
netgroup DESCRIPTION
The netgroup file specifies ``netgroups'', which are sets of (host, user, domain) tuples that are to be given similar network access. Each line in the file consists of a netgroup name followed by a list of the members of the netgroup. Each member can be either the name of another netgroup or a specification of a tuple as follows: (host, user, domain) where the host, user, and domain are character string names for the corresponding component. Any of the comma separated fields may be empty to specify a ``wildcard'' value or may consist of the string ``-'' to specify ``no valid value''. The members of the list may be separated by whitespace and/or commas; the ``'' character may be used at the end of a line to specify line continuation. Lines are limited to 1024 characters. The functions specified in getnetgrent(3) should normally be used to access the netgroup database. Lines that begin with a # are treated as comments. NIS
/YP INTERACTION On most other platforms, netgroups are only used in conjunction with NIS and local /etc/netgroup files are ignored. With FreeBSD, netgroups can be used with either NIS or local files, but there are certain caveats to consider. The existing netgroup system is extremely inefficient where innetgr(3) lookups are concerned since netgroup memberships are computed on the fly. By contrast, the NIS netgroup database consists of three separate maps (netgroup, netgroup.byuser and netgroup.byhost) that are keyed to allow innetgr(3) lookups to be done quickly. The FreeBSD netgroup system can interact with the NIS netgroup maps in the following ways: o If the /etc/netgroup file does not exist, or it exists and is empty, or it exists and contains only a '+', and NIS is running, netgroup lookups will be done exclusively through NIS, with innetgr(3) taking advantage of the netgroup.byuser and netgroup.byhost maps to speed up searches. (This is more or less compatible with the behavior of SunOS and similar platforms.) o If the /etc/netgroup exists and contains only local netgroup information (with no NIS '+' token), then only the local netgroup information will be processed (and NIS will be ignored). o If /etc/netgroup exists and contains both local netgroup data and the NIS '+' token, the local data and the NIS netgroup map will be processed as a single combined netgroup database. While this configuration is the most flexible, it is also the least effi- cient: in particular, innetgr(3) lookups will be especially slow if the database is large. FILES
/etc/netgroup the netgroup database COMPATIBILITY
The file format is compatible with that of various vendors, however it appears that not all vendors use an identical format. SEE ALSO
getnetgrent(3), exports(5) BUGS
The interpretation of access restrictions based on the member tuples of a netgroup is left up to the various network applications. Also, it is not obvious how the domain specification applies to the BSD environment. The netgroup database should be stored in the form of a hashed db(3) database just like the passwd(5) database to speed up reverse lookups. BSD
December 11, 1993 BSD