Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Commands and Command Line Flags Post 77577 by Kedgeboy on Monday 11th of July 2005 08:47:47 AM
Old 07-11-2005
Commands and Command Line Flags

Hello

I'm very new to unix, am learning it as part of my new job.

I have a book which has a list in the back, of a number of commands and their command line flags, detailing what these flags are used for.

I've been looking everywhere for an electronic copy of this type of list, so I can print it out and write some notes on it. Does anyone have a copy (or know where I can get one) of a similar list?

Hope that made sense, and I'm sorry if this has been posted in the wrong forum.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if flags

Hi folks. I'm just starting to teach myself shell scripting and am having some trouble with an if statement. I am working with a directory where only one file will reside at a time and need to evaluate if this file is compressed to determine subsequent steps. I'm using echo for testing purposes.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

two commands on 1 line

wuts the command that allows u to use 2 commands on one line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: el_soldado
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Running oracle commands Directly from Command Line

In mysql, I can get what I want from a database without having to log into mysql. works great for me and it is perfect. now, i want to be able to do the same in oracle but I dont know how to. For example, if i want to retrieve information from the mysql database from the command line, i issue... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you use UNIX commands in the Windows Command Line?

I tried opening the windows command line and typing UNIX commands, but they don't work. It kept saying that it was not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Removed strange sentence with even stranger link I need to use UNIX commands such as 'less',... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any shell or hack that makes the shell command line take vi commands?

basically i'm tired of hitting the left arrow a few dozen times when correcting a mistake or modifying a history command i'd like to use vim style key shortcuts while on the command line so that a 55 moves the cursor 55 places to the left... and i want all the other vi goodies, search of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marqul
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take input from the user from the command line and execute commands basedon that?

Hi, I am using solaris 10 and bash shell.Script execution follows below.Initially it will check whether a directory exists or not if does not exist it will create it.(This I have completed) Second step:I have four users say user1,user2,user3,user4.Script should prompt for the user id and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading ls -l output line by line awk the user name and su user to run commands

Using ksh on AIX what I am trying to do is to read the ls -l output from a file in a do while loop line by line. Extract the user name(3rd field) and the directory/file name(9th field) using awk and save them into variables. su -c to the user and change directory/file permisions to 777. Script I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: zubairom
13 Replies

9. AIX

Commands to call script work from command line but not from Cron entry

My first post evidently did not materialize so I posted it again: Runnning a cron job every 5 mins to send data files to a state facility. My original cron entry at worked fine: 01,06,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * /home/sftpuser/stateinoc-from-appname.ksh Somewhere I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies
books(3)							       Coin								  books(3)

NAME
books - Books Related to Open Inventor / Coin Here is a list of some of the better books for people that invested in software development with Open Inventor. If you have suggestions for additional books that ought to go on this list, please feel free to tell us about it. The Inventor Mentor (subtitle 'Programming Object-Oriented 3D Graphics with Open Inventor') This is an excellently written, detailed, tutorial-style introductory book for Open Inventor that takes you through all the fundamental design principles applied in the Open Inventor API, richly illustrated and with numerous, well documented code examples. The Inventor Mentor is getting a bit old, but do not let that put you off. It is as valid today as it was the day it was written, and we heartily recommend this book for anyone learning to use Open Inventor. ISBN 0-201-62495-8. You might also be able to find this book as a pdf file online, but we recommend having it in print. The Inventor Toolmaker This book explains how Open Inventor was designed for being extended by the users, and walks you through how to develop your own components that work with all aspects of Coin. ISBN 0-201-62493-1. You might also be able to find this book as a pdf file online, but we recommend having it in print. The Annotated VRML2.0 Reference Manual This book covers the VRML97 (aka VRML 2.0) standard, which Coin has implemented with its Inventor/VRMLnodes/* classes, which is an extension made beyond the Open Inventor V2.1 API. The VRML97 format has some significant differences from the Inventor and VRML1 formats, so it is a useful book if you want to use that part of Coin. ISBN 0-201-41974-2. You will find the specification documents for VRML97 online at http://www.web3d.org/. The Open GL Programming Manual This is the bible when it comes to OpenGL programming and is relevant for Open Inventor extenders that develop new nodes that implement or affect Open Inventor OpenGL rendering. There are many editions of this book since it is updated whenever new versions of OpenGL are standardized and comes out, so check that you have identified the latest edition if you order one. The Open Inventor C++ Reference Manual Although this book is directly relevant for Open Inventor, it does only cover the Open Inventor 2.1 API. This information is more or less also covered in the online doxygen doc for Coin, where you have it hyperlinked, and can also be generated offline from the Coin sources to have locally, so we do not think this book is very useful to have in print. We mention it anyway since it is an official documentation book for Open Inventor. ISBN 0-201-62491-5. Version 3.1.3 Wed May 23 2012 books(3)