Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add a line to a file.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add a line to a file. Post 77563 by vino on Monday 11th of July 2005 06:10:12 AM
Old 07-11-2005
I see that a similiar question was posted before. Smilie

Before you post, please use our search facility to look for similiar problems/postings.

Check this out

https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/15927-sed-add-new-line-after-finding-text.html

Vino

Last edited by vino; 07-11-2005 at 07:41 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a new line into a file

I want to insert a new line character inside the file between these two record entries "san" and "man". How can this be done echo " san " >"C:/\Test/\Output/\Neme" echo " man " >>"C:/\Test/\Output/\Name" Name file should look like this san man Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add a line to a file

Hi I want to search for a string and add a new line after that line in the file. Say I have a file Input file adfad aadfsdfsa adfadsf <name>TypeOptions</name> adfdasf adfad adfad outputfile adfad aadfsdfsa adfadsf <name>TypeOptions</name> <option xsi:type="metadata:Option"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add new parameters into a line, and redirect the line to other file

How can i add new parameters into a line, and redirect the line to other file? For example: 1.sh name:owner google:richard youtube:student I want a, for example 2.sh with: name:owner:description google:richard:search site youtube:student:video site In the 2.sh, I added a new column:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafazz
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

howto add line as a first line into a non empty file

Hi Trying to do like this : echo "$variable1\n $(cat file.txt)" but it only adds one time. When I run this cmd again with different variable it only replaces line of variable1. How to add constantly line into first line in file ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

5. Linux

Add file's date at beginning of every line in file

How would I do that? /Rutger (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rutgerblom
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and for each line replace two variables, add strings and save output in another file

Hi All, I have a file, let's call it "info.tmp" that contains data like this .. ABC123456 PCX333445 BCD789833 I need to read "info.tmp" and for each line add strings in a way that the final output is put /logs/ua/dummy.trigger 'AAA00001.FTP.XXX.BLA03A01.xxxxxx(+1)' where XXX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy_ARG
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line break for each line in a file

I cannot seem to get this to work.. I have a file which has about 100 lines, and there is no end of line (line break \n) at the end of each line, and this is causing problem when i paste them into an application. the file looks like this this is a test that is a test balblblablblhblbha... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify a file by another file: add new line and variable after string is found

hello, I have problem with writing/adjusting a shell script. I searched forum and unfortunately couldn't write scipt based on the information I found. I never wtire such so it's hard for me and I do need to modify one script immediately. case looks like: 1. 'file' that needs to be modified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bipbip
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

create txt file form data file and add some line on it

Hi Guys, I have file A.txt File A Data AK1521 AK2536 AK3164 I want create text file of all data above and write some data on each file. want Output on below folder /home/kka/out AK1521.txt Hi Welocme (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and add line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi, I want to achieve something similar to what described in another post: The difference is I want to add the line if the pattern is not found. File 1: A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu3
11 Replies
line(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           line(1)

NAME
line - read one line SYNOPSIS
line DESCRIPTION
The line utility copies one line (up to and including a new-line) from the standard input and writes it on the standard output. It returns an exit status of 1 on EOF and always prints at least a new-line. It is often used within shell files to read from the user's terminal. EXIT STATUS
Exit status is: 0 Successful completion >0 End-of-file on input. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 line(1)