Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dont know what I'm doing wrong with useradd Post 77520 by d11wtq on Sunday 10th of July 2005 10:41:21 AM
Old 07-10-2005
Dont know what I'm doing wrong with useradd

Hi,

Just got a dedicated server account for web hosting. I have some linux experience since the past 3 months I've been using SuSE and aint even touvhed windows but now I know I've relied too much on KDE's friendly tools to do some of the admin stuff.

I'm trying to add a user from the root account using SSH. I want this user to be in the group "users".

This is what I'm doing:

Code:
useradd -d /home/d11wtq -m -s /bin/bash -e 2010-07-10 -g users -p mypass d11wtq

It all *appears* to go okay so I try

Code:
ssh d11wtq@localhost

It asks me for my password as expected then pauses and asks me again, after 3 attempts it just says session inactive and throws me out (like the password is wrong).

Could somebody explain where I'm going wrong here? I feel like such a n00b now Smilie

Cheers,

d11

(Do I need to do something else before the user "d11wtq" can use SSH?)

EDIT | If it helps this a Gentoo Linux server

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd

I work on some hp ux 11.00 Servers. i have to add an user. i use the useradd command like follows: useradd -u 72022 -g 71095 -c " comment " -d /PACKAGE_NAME/home/username -s /usr/bin/sh username The command returns with error 3. The manpage means value number 3: Invalid argument supplied to an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd

Hi. due to some needs i gave a user the premission to use useradd command with sudo. i want to know if there is a way to let him set the initial password, without giving him the premission to use passwd command as root (sudo). maybe a way to set a default password for all the new users that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorilevy
2 Replies

3. Programming

I dont want this

Im creating a sort of shell, for my cybercafe This will restrict my clients from accessing unwanted materials so im programming a similar bash to 1. to meet my goals 2. to learn new things. im creating it in C, please have a look at the attachement. i wish to avoid having a blank space... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
6 Replies

4. Solaris

useradd

Hi, I need to add a new user who will only be able to access one single folder on my Solaris 9 system. Can this be achieved by using just useradd or do i need to fiddle with auth_attr table? TIA, Selma (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selma
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd

Gurus, I need to add a user to all the machines. I need a script to do this. I did one but it does not allow me to su to root within a ssh session i open. It exists saying su: Sorry. Please let me know how i can do it. I do not have the freedom of using sudo either. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd?

Hi Experts, when using useradd command, what are the necessary options/arguments to be included? Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
4 Replies

7. Solaris

useradd

if useradd command is deleted in solaris how do we add user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
3 Replies

8. Solaris

useradd

I want to creat a 27 logins in solaris.Can anyone tell me how to write a script for that so that i create at a time for all 27 people. Thanks to guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies
UUID(3) 							    Libuuid API 							   UUID(3)

NAME
uuid - DCE compatible Universally Unique Identifier library SYNOPSIS
#include <uuid.h> DESCRIPTION
The UUID library is used to generate unique identifiers for objects that may be accessible beyond the local system. This library generates UUIDs compatible with those created by the Open Software Foundation (OSF) Distributed Computing Environment (DCE) utility uuidgen. The UUIDs generated by this library can be reasonably expected to be unique within a system, and unique across all systems. They could be used, for instance, to generate unique HTTP cookies across multiple web servers without communication between the servers, and without fear of a name clash. CONFORMING TO
OSF DCE 1.1 AUTHOR
Theodore Y. Ts'o AVAILABILITY
libuuid is part of the util-linux package since version 2.15.1 and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
uuid_clear(3), uuid_compare(3), uuid_copy(3), uuid_generate(3), uuid_is_null(3), uuid_parse(3), uuid_time(3), uuid_unparse(3) util-linux May 2009 UUID(3)