Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell magic number with a -
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell magic number with a - Post 77436 by vino on Friday 8th of July 2005 10:11:57 AM
Old 07-08-2005
shell magic number with a -

In one of our internal scripts (unix.run), I have noticed that the following shebang.

Code:
#!/bin/sh -
for i in test1 test2 test3 ; do

Any idea what the - in the magic number stands for ?

And what impact does it have on the script ?

Continuing on the same script, I have the following for unix.run

Code:
ls -l unix.run
-rw-------    1 XXXXXX g900          187 Jul  8 04:29 unix.run

If I do a

Code:
./unix.run

it says 'Permission denied'

But if I run it as,

Code:
sh unix.run

it works well.

Why the difference in behaviour between ./unix.run and sh unix.run?

Shouldn't it always say 'Permision denied' in both the cases ?

Any inputs/pointers on these two points, highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vino

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bad magic number

Hi, when installing a piece of third part software I get the error "Bad magic number" at one point when it tries to use libraries from the bea tuxedo server. Am I correct that this means that the software is expecting 32bit while I'm on 64bit? Is there a way around it or can it only be solved... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
5 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Bad Magic Number

Dear All, i have a SCSI hard disk drive i'm installing on it solaris 5 and the workstation is sun sparc, i made an image of this H.D using Norton Ghost 6, so i took off the SCSI H.D from the sun workstation and put it on a Compaq server then i booted the server from the Norton Ghost floppy disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wesweshahaha
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

LVM magic number 0x4D48

LVM partition(8e type) begins with a magic number(0x4D48) - HM, At this sector, I get the name of volume group plus two three more structures, which I am unable to decipher. So, if anyone can let me know the details of these structures. In my case, I had made two logical volumes in my LVM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
2 Replies

4. Solaris

wrong magic number

/pci@if,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/dad@0,0 corrupt label wrong magic number can u plz suggustion me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
6 Replies

5. Solaris

BAD magic number in disc label...

Hello All, I m very new to this forum. i m having SUN NETRA X1 server with 40 GB HDD (Seagate) & 128 MB RAM. i m trying this server for SUN 10 Practise. As i m installing SUN 9 /10 with CD ,its giving me error after OK propmt *************************** #boot cdrom or #boot cdrom... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: amrut_k
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris magic number problem

Hello, When I boot up my ancient SUNOS 5 system. it stops at the OK prompt and complains about a bad magic number. I have told that I need run fsck but I cannot seem to do so from the OK prompt. How can I get into a diagnostic mode so I can run fsck? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. AIX

module has an invalid magic number

Hello everybody: I have a trouble running an application which connects to an Oracle server, I got this message: Dependent module /opt/oracle/product/10.2/lib/libclntsh.so could not be loaded. The module has an invalid magic number. Running ldd MyApp doesn't report missing symbols, I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 8.2 Bad magic number

I'll keep it fairly straight forward. I work with a Solaris server and magically today it decided to take a dump on me. At first it give a long list of files that couldn't be acessed before terminating the boot process and returning to the 'ok' prompt. Booting in single-user mode allowed me to run... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aon
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Bad magic number error

So we have a new to us v240 server with no OS installed. It has an outdated version of OB and ALOM so before we install the OS we want to update both. We have a DVD with the latest OB patch burned on it. We do the boot cdrom command but receive the Bad Magic Number Error. Does an OS need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunkpancakes
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Magic number error

hi . my " /usr " was full ,so i went into the failsafe mode in solaris 10 and used format utilily to adjust space for it and labeled it. But after that whenever i try to boot solaris normally ,it is giving "magic number error" I tried fsck -o b=32 /dev/dsk/c0d0s6 (for /usr) newfs -N... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushardul
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)