Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read after pipe problem OSX10.4 Post 77404 by r2007 on Thursday 7th of July 2005 08:56:46 PM
Old 07-07-2005
Quote:
Test result (ksh):

$ print "abc cde efg" | { read k l ; print "k=$k, l=$l" ; }
k=, l=
I am in puzzle about this. Can somebody tell me why?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem in read() from a pipe

Hi, Can any one please help me with this. Am struggling hard to get a solution. I am doing telnet through a C program and getting the stdout file descriptor of the remote machine to pipe. read() function is getting data, But whenl it receives SOH character ie. ^A ( Start of heading = Console... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JDS
2 Replies

2. Programming

pipe read and write with many forked children

I know how to read and write if i have a forked process with only one child. However what is involved with reading and writing with many forked processes. Say one parent that forks 5 children, and needs to communicate with all 5 in half duplex. int temp, counter=0; do{ pipe(temp); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveneliuk
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 5.3 - There is no process to read data written to a pipe

I have the following code which works on AIX 4.3 but fails at times on AIX 5.3 with: cat: 0652-054 cannot write to output. There is no process to read data written to a pipe. validator="${validator_exe} ${validator_parms}" cmd_line="${CAT} ${data_file} | ${validator}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigsgb
6 Replies

4. AIX

Tape drive problem - no process to read data written to a pipe

Hi Everyone, The machine I'm working on is an AIX 5.3 LPAR running on a P650. oslevel -r shows 5300-08. I'm trying to take a backup to a SCSI tape drive, which has been working up until this point. I know of nothing that has changed recently to cause this problem. But when I try to take a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from a pipe or die in perl

I have a perl program that I want to read from a file passed as an argument or from a pipe. If their is no pipe or arguments, I want it to output a help message. I am stuck on how to prevent perl from reading from the keyboard if it isn't fed any file names or data from a pipe. The only things I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No process to read data written to a pipe on AIX

We use SAP application cluster on AIX. Communication between 2 of its instances is failing randomly with the following error: java.net.SocketException: There is no process to read data written to a pipe. The above error causes a cluster restart if an important communication fails. Can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] nawk FS using pipe read variables from file

I have a file data_1.out which contains: 1|abc mail|mail subject|mail body 2|def mail|mail subject|def mail body I am trying to read the variables from data_1.out and use them to print to 2 different files based on the id (first_column) The problem is I am not able to read the file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read pipe data

Hello, I need to read the pipe data as:- cat abc.txt | uuencode abc.txt | mailx -s hi xyz@xyz.com I will override the mailx function so that when mailx is called, it calls my version of maix and in that function I want to read the file which is attached in progional mailx function- abc.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubh05
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read pipe input issue

Hello, I have an ffmpeg bash script which is working nice and I need to do the same for other sources. To create new scripts and to deal with multiple bash files sounds not logical. It is a bit hard to manage for me.. I wondered if it was possible to make my input file as variable. Then I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baris35
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Pipe -Exit when there are no bytes to read

Hi All, I'm creating a program which reads millions of bytes from the PIPE and do some processing. As the data is more, the idea is to read the pipe parallely. Sun Solaris 8 See the code below: #!/bin/sh MAXTHREAD=30 awk '{print $1}' metadata.csv > nvpipe & while do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
3 Replies
pdebuild-user-mode-linux(1)					     pbuilder					       pdebuild-user-mode-linux(1)

NAME
pdebuild-user-mode-linux - pbuilder-user-mode-linux way of doing debuild SYNOPSIS
pdebuild-user-mode-linux [pdebuild-user-mode-linux options] -- [pbuilder-user-mode-linux options] DESCRIPTION
A convenience program for pbuilder-user-mode-linux which invokes pbuilder after obtaining appropriate root privilege in a Debian source directory. One must be inside the source tree containing the debian directory, in order to make it work. PDEBUILD OPTIONS
--buildsourceroot [fakeroot] The command used to gain root privilege for invoking dpkg-buildpackage --auto-debsign Invoke debsign at the end of pdebuild process. --debsign-k [key-id] Pass -k option to debsign to specify which keyid to sign. --buildresult [Directory for build results] The place which build result is stored. --configfile [Extra config file to use] The configuration file is used, but not passed on to pbuilder-user-mode-linux. --debbuildopts [options to pass to dpkg-buildpackage] The space-delimited list of options are passed to dpkg-buildpackage. This option appends to pbuilder option --debbuildopts and may also be used to reset the list of options by passing the empty string. --use-pdebuild-internal Uses a different implementation of pdebuild, which calls clean and build inside the chroot, using bind-mounts. pdebuild-internal tries to run debian/rules clean inside the chroot. To achieve the goal, the working directory is passed on inside the chroot, in the form of bind-mounting and debuild is run. This option will not protect the working directory and its parent directories from the build scripts. -- [pbuilder options] After the -- symbol, an arbitrary number of pbuilder options can be specified. See pbuilder-user-mode-linux.1 for full list of options. There is an exception that --buildresult needs to be specified as pdebuild option before the -- to be effective. FILES
/etc/pbuilderrc The configuration file for pbuilder-user-mode-linux, used in pdebuild-user-mode-linux. /usr/share/pbuilder/pbuilderrc The default configuration file for pbuilder-user-mode-linux, used in pdebuild-user-mode-linux. ${HOME}/.pbuilderrc Configuration file for pbuilder-user-mode-linux, used in pdebuild-user-mode-linux, overrides what is written in /etc/pbuilderrc AUTHOR
Initial coding, and main maintenance is done by Junichi Uekawa <dancer@debian.org>. The homepage is available at http://pbuilder.alioth.debian.org SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/pbuilder/pbuilder-doc.html, pbuilder-user-mode-linux(1), pbuilderrc(5), pbuilder-uml.conf(5) Debian 2006 May 24 pdebuild-user-mode-linux(1)