Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using a script to modify the crontab Post 77366 by blowtorch on Thursday 7th of July 2005 01:11:36 PM
Old 07-07-2005
It is not necessary to use crontab -e to edit crontabs. You can directly do this:

echo "<entire_line_that_is_required_including_the_timings_and_commands>" >> /var/spool/cron/<crontab_file>

You will have to give the cron daemon a HUP signal after this. So if you are not someone who has root access, you will have to find someone that does.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify Perl script to work with txt - Permissions script

Hi I have this code, and i want work with a ls -shalR output in .txt What i need read to do this?? Where start? #!/usr/bin/perl # Allrights- A perl tool for making backups of file permissions # Copyright (C) 2005 Norbert Klein <norbert@acodedb.com> # This program is free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joangopan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help to modify my script

Hi, I have a script which connect to ATM's and pull two files from the ATM. The which i try to pull is like PIC20085200001*.JPG First 7 digit consist of year montn and date as well After todays execution i want to change the date to next date I add few lines in the script but it is not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify crontab file on many hosts...

Hi everyone taking a second to read this :D, I need to modify a line from the root crontab file... Usually, if I need to do this I use the crontab -e, which opens up the file with Vi, then I edit it and there's no problem. Now, I need to do this but on many servers at the same time... Like in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Casey
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk for modify hour in a crontab AIX

Hi, I want to modifiy the hour in the crontab AIX 5.3 for this line: Input: 00 22 * * * /outillage/script_exploit/bin/SavOffline.ksh > /dev/null 2>&1 Output: 30 20 * * * /outillage/script_exploit/bin/SavOffline.ksh > /dev/null 2>&1 With the awk or sed function through a ssh -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can I modify this script.

hello forum members, I have a script which is used find the Uname and passwords and redirects into a output.txt file.I hardcoded a string "ciadev" but iwant search two more strings also "absdev" and "absprod" So modify this script please. I am lookinmg forward from you, please find the below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to modify my script in stdout

please help me to modify my script #! /bin/bash while read line do echo "$line" >>/tmp/result && mysql -ss -e "use $line; select count(*) from users where type='admin' and deleted = 0;" > /tmp/result; done < /tmp/db_data cat result alan_hardwsdefs 2 bgrmods 2 claudiatdsefs 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimaxlin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify sed script

I'm trying to take out strings from log files and add them to a csv. For example, in the directory now, there are 2 log files. I get the following results: sed -e '/custodian/b' -e '/packaged by/b' -e '/package name/b' -e '/Total Data (MB) Read/b' -e '/Begin Time/b' -e d * packaged by =... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify the file by script

Hi All, I have an input file like below, 6984 1225 6989 1220 6994 1214 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify hour crontab UNIX

Hello, I wish to modify the day of launch of a "batch" in the crontab on several servers with awk or sed. Can you help me ? Beforehand thank you 00 18 * * 1 /box/Pra/bin/systeme_reverse.ksh -s >/dev/null 2>&1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify python script

How can I modify this so it uses Seamonkey and goes to Yahoo Advanced Web Search #!/usr/bin/python3 import os import urllib google = os.popen('zenity --entry --text="Enter what you want to google: " --title="google.py"').read() google = urllib.quote(google) os.system('firefox... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
8 Replies
bcrontab(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bcrontab(1)

NAME
bcrontab - Manage users crontab files SYNOPSIS
bcrontab [ -u user ] file bcrontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
bcrontab interfaces with the bcron-spool daemon to manage crontab files in the privileged spool directory. OPTIONS
-u user Tell bcron-spool that we are acting on behalf of the named user. bcron-spool will only accept the username if bcrontab is running as either root or the same user ID as the named user. -l List the cronab crontab to standard output. -r Remove the user's crontab. -e Edit the current crontab. ENVIRONMENT
VISUAL If this is set, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. EDITOR If $VISUAL is not set and this is, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. If neither are set, /bin/vi is used. BCRON_SOCKET The path to the named socket used to communicate with bcron-spool. Defaults to /var/run/bcron-spool. LOGNAME USER These two variables are used, in order, to determine the user name invoking the program. One must be set if the -u option is not used. FILES
bcrontab tries to writes a temporary file into the current directory, and then into /tmp if that fails, in order to edit the current crontab. SEE ALSO
bcron-spool(8), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca> bcrontab(1)