Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DNS daemon named
Special Forums IP Networking DNS daemon named Post 7728 by Optimus_P on Monday 1st of October 2001 09:16:51 AM
Old 10-01-2001
that book is a great place to start. Another fine book from the boys and girls @ oreilly.

I would also check your syslog for daemon errors. this will start pointing out problems w/ and daemons.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't find named.conf to configuration DNS

Help me! I have problem. I can't find named.conf file in /etc (Solaris 5.6,SPRAC) Please! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nghia77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a Named Daemon

I have a PHP CLI script that runs as a daemon. I have a cron job that checks every 5 minutes if that script is running. PHP slowly builds up memory and then eventually dies. I want to write a Bourne script wrapper around it to prevent this. However, I can't get my monitor script to search properly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edua
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named (DNS Name Server) question

As suggested by the forum I'm posting in, I'm very new at this, so bear with me please. I'm using a Virtual Dedicated server (Linux) from GoDaddy and using Simple Control Panel. A few days ago, the sites running off of it stopped working, and I did manage to troubleshoot it to some extent where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KevenM
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

separate "named daemon" message from /var/adm/messages

Hello group, How can I separate "named daemon" messages to the other file instead of /var/adm/messages. I still want all other daemons log the messages to /var/adm/messages. i.e. named => /var/adm/named.message other daemons => /var/adm/messages. I searched unix.com, and google but I still... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dannytrinh
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Named - DNS Server - within Firewall

I spent hours trying to create a system where the name server returns a value of 192.168.100.5 locally, but 209.137.nnn.nnn for requests outside of the firewall. If I run "nslookup mail.mydomain.com" from a machine inside the firewall, the 192.168 number is returned, but if I do "nslookup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

DNS A-Record point to another DNS

Hi, I have a question on how to point the DNS server-1's A-record to second DNS server, which is DNS server-2. So, the computer can access other domain which only listed in the DNS server-2. The scenario is as follow: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6333/12234.png How to configure this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
SYSLOG(8)                                                         System Logging                                                         SYSLOG(8)

NAME
syslog-ng, syslogd DESCRIPTION
There are different syslog daemon implementations supported as the system's syslog service, currently syslogd, syslog-ng and rsyslogd The first installed daemon activates itself for the syslog service. Starting with openSUSE-11.2, it is rsyslogd, before it was syslog-ng. But this depends on the software selection during the installation. The name of the daemon used as syslog service is specified in the SYSLOG_DAEMON variable in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The yast2 sysconfig module provides a comfortable way to switch to another installed daemon and restart the service. The /etc/init.d/syslog init script is able to handle all supported daemons. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Juergen Weigert <jw@novell.com> Marius Tomaschewski <mt@novell.com> SEE ALSO
sysklogd(8) syslogd(8) syslog.conf(5) syslog-ng(8) syslog-ng.conf(5) rsyslogd(8) rsyslog.conf(5) syslog May 2008 SYSLOG(8)