Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Decompression with Cygwin
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Decompression with Cygwin Post 77272 by noob1021 on Wednesday 6th of July 2005 04:33:49 PM
Old 07-06-2005
Decompression with Cygwin

I am having some trouble decompressing a tar.bz2 with Cygwin. Is it even possible to do this? I am new to Unix so I have no idea.

I downloaded GCC on my Windows machine (gcc-3.4.4.tar.bz2) and I've been trying to decompress and install it. Is cygwin this best way to decompress on a windows machine? Are there better ways?

Thanks,
Matt

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decompression utility

I am looking for an unzip application that can handle Unix .z files, but from a Windows environment AND has a command-line prompt. Anybody know of anything? TIA, H2M3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: H2M3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU tar automatic gz detection/decompression

I stumbled on this feature on a SLES10 system yesterday... if you tar tf filename.tar.gz or tar xf filename.tar.gz it automatically gunzips the data for you. Has this feature been around for a while? I have 1.12 on my system, which doesn't, but the 1.20 manual mentions it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Annihilannic
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compression and decompression in the same script

Hi Guys, I'm just wondering how to compress and decompress a file in the same script using multiple programs, and can it be done in one line? e.g gzip file && gunzip file bzip2 file && bunzip file I tried this and a few other combinations but it doesn't seem to work. Any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spaulds
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone else use Cygwin?

I started to gather some stats from our windows servers through the use of cygwin and sshd :) is anyone else doing this sort of thing? interested in some other indicators I should be checking for... thanks, manny the following is only an example of the type of data I am able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

opening new instance of cygwin from withing cygwin

I'm using cygwin on win7, What I would like to do is something like this: cygstart cygwin tail -f /foo/test.log | perl -pe 's/error/\e I know I can start a new instance using either of these: mintty -e ... cygstart tail ... But neither of those open in ANSI mode, so I can't do... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Port VPM Decompression Algorithm to PHP and then to Dive Computer

Hello! I'm about to embark on a new project to port the VPM (Variable Permability Model) for decompression diving from some old BASIC code (attached, "VPM.txt") to PHP. Then, I plan to create a plugin for this site where folks can run VPM on the web. Then, I plan to improve VPM based on... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
15 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Port VPM Decompression Algorithm to PHP (Main Loop) - Part 2

Continued from here. Port the main loop C code to PHP. Here is the C code for the main loop: /* =============================================================================== */ /* Begin MAIN proc (see endofpgm for alternate entry) */ /*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies

8. Solaris

ZCAT xxx.Z|tar -xvf - decompression slow ?

I have recently built a new server and patched Soalris 10 up tp latest bundle etc... When I run a decompress using the format zcat fred.Z |tar -xvf - it runs at a very slow rate. A similiar server which is less powerful runs over twice as quick. Is there any work arounds to configure decompress... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smcart
4 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

VPM decompression algorithm +++for NEO+++

Hi Neo, i have followed your porting of the VPM algorithm to C+. Did you ever finish this exercise? I am playing around with some ARM chips and would love to run the algorithm on them... would you care to share the final results? Thanks for your help. Greetings Carsten (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carsten
0 Replies
Inline-Support(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Inline-Support(3)

NAME
Inline-Support - Support Information for Inline.pm and related modules. DESCRIPTION
This document contains all of the latest support information for "Inline.pm" and the recognized Inline Language Support Modules (ILSMs) available on CPAN. SUPPORTED LANGUAGES
The most important language that Inline supports is "C". That is because Perl itself is written in "C". By giving a your Perl scripts access to "C", you in effect give them access to the entire glorious internals of Perl. (Caveat scriptor :-) As of this writing, Inline also supports: - C++ - Java - Python - Tcl - Assembly - CPR - And even Inline::Foo! :) Projects that I would most like to see happen in the year 2001 are: - Fortran - Ruby - Lisp - Guile - Bash - Perl4 SUPPORTED PLATFORMS
"Inline::C" should work anywhere that CPAN extension modules (those that use XS) can be installed, using the typical install format of: perl Makefile.PL make make test make install It has been tested on many Unix and Windows variants. NOTE: "Inline::C" requires Perl 5.005 or higher because "Parse::RecDescent" requires it. (Something to do with the "qr" operator) Inline has been successfully tested at one time or another on the following platforms: Linux Solaris SunOS HPUX AIX FreeBSD OpenBSD BeOS OS X WinNT Win2K WinME Win98 Cygwin The Microsoft tests deserve a little more explanation. I used the following: Windows NT 4.0 (service pack 6) Perl 5.005_03 (ActiveState build 522) MS Visual C++ 6.0 The "nmake" make utility (distributed w/ Visual C++) "Inline::C" pulls all of its base configuration (including which "make" utility to use) from "Config.pm". Since your MSWin32 version of Perl probably came from ActiveState (as a binary distribution) the "Config.pm" will indicate that "nmake" is the system's "make" utility. That is because ActiveState uses Visual C++ to compile Perl. To install "Inline.pm" (or any other CPAN module) on MSWin32 w/ Visual C++, use these: perl Makefile.PL nmake nmake test nmake install Inline has also been made to work with Mingw32/gcc on all Windows platforms. This is a free compiler for Windows. You must also use a perl built with that compiler. The "Cygwin" test was done on a Windows 98 machine using the Cygwin Unix/Win32 porting layer software from Cygnus. The "perl" binary on this machine was also compiled using the Cygwin tool set ("gcc"). This software is freely available from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ If you get Inline to work on a new platform, please send me email email. If it doesn't work, let me know as well and I'll see what can be done. SEE ALSO
For general information about Inline see Inline. For information about using Inline with C see Inline::C. For sample programs using Inline with C see Inline::C-Cookbook. For information on writing your own Inline Language Support Module, see Inline-API. Inline's mailing list is inline@perl.org To subscribe, send email to inline-subscribe@perl.org AUTHOR
Brian Ingerson <INGY@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2000, 2001, 2002. Brian Ingerson. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.12.1 2010-01-27 Inline-Support(3)