Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? How can I get some interesting books? Post 77157 by Perderabo on Tuesday 5th of July 2005 08:28:42 AM
Old 07-05-2005
"(3) Refrain from idle chatter that does not contribute to the knowledge base. "

That rule does not apply to any forum in "The UNIX Lounge". So there is nothing wrong with this question.

Superman Novel

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

interesting problem

After a server reboot for regular mainatanance we face the following situation: 1/ user accounts with ksh can't start the korn shell 2/ korn shell scripts do work however, if executed from bash 3/ normal users with bash can't run ksh 4/ root can run ksh 5/ if I switch the default shell to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some interesting questions

Hello All, I have some questions; 1) process1 | process2, A)now if I kill process2 what happens to process1? B) if I kill process1 what happens to process2? 2) Why kill -9 is a strong kill? If possible I would like to know what happens internally. 3) What a pipe actually do, in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: willhunter
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interesting question :-D

first off, i LOVE unix to death, but i really only like the text/console side of it. im not big into the XFree86/Xwindows side of things.. so with that known... im in search of really old *nix's.. like way outdated, floppy OS's from way back in the day. im kinda in search of the pure'r UNIX's.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 01000101
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Here is an interesting idea...

Does anyone know how to test if an ethernet interface is alive, or accepting connections? Here is the scenario - I have rsc and sc console interfaces on some Suns. There are some sporadic vulnerability scans that send them out to lunch when they run the scans. I have to login to the host and reset... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lm_admin_dh
0 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitMatchVars(3pm) User Contributed Perl DocumentationPerl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitMatchVars(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitMatchVars - Avoid "$`", "$&", "$'" and their English equivalents. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Using the "match variables" "$`", $&, and/or "$'" can significantly degrade the performance of a program. This policy forbids using them or their English equivalents. See perldoc English or PBP page 82 for more information. It used to forbid plain "use English;" because it ends up causing the performance side-effects of the match variables. However, the message emitted for that situation was not at all clear and there is now Perl::Critic::Policy::Modules::RequireNoMatchVarsWithUseEnglish, which addresses this situation directly. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006-2011 Chris Dolan. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::Variables::ProhibitMatchVars(3pm)