Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers recover DIsk and make bootable Post 77154 by d11wtq on Tuesday 5th of July 2005 08:02:32 AM
Old 07-05-2005
What method of backup are you using?

Also, what happens when you try to boot (you say it wont boot but what's the error you see?).

Cheers,

d11

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bootable disk

I have a SCO Openserver 5.0.6 running Raid 5. and want to make a bootable disk but the boot image is 5MB ie unix file on root is around 5M and the size is obviously too large for a floppy diskette. Please help on how I can make any bootable device. The aim is to change the filesystem size. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshokunbi
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to recover Hp-ux O/S Disk from Mirro Disk

Hi All of my unix forum friends. I mirrored my hp-ux o/s disk with the help of LVM on a disk array. Can any one tell me the procedure if the O/S disk fails then how could i recover the system disk from mirrored disk Regards' Alam (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: waqaralam
5 Replies

3. Solaris

How to make a bootable disk?

The second disk that I'm trying to make bootable is to hold another version of Solaris (9). I've created the partitions with format and labeled the disk - created the filesystems with newfs - created and mounted the directories. ...but I think I've missed something out like using fdisk to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
16 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Make non-bootable scsi drive, bootable

In our HP/Unix system, our master scsi drive was bootable and our mirrored drive was non-bootable. Are any of these alternatives possible: 1) Make the non-bootable scsi drive bootable? How? 2) Create a bootable scsi drive, then copy the mirrored data to the newly created scsi drive? I seek... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bfisk
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Creating a bootable disk in 9.10

I am trying to copy a HP-UX disk. Both the OS and H/W are quite old HP-UX hpeval3 B.09.10 A 9000/382 080009789a46 I have a 1.5Gb disk and a new 2Gb disk. I have been using the following method to create the copy, which must be a bootable disk. #mediainit /dev/rdsk/cEd1s0 (2Gb disk) cEd0s0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcqv
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

How Can i recover Bootable File Through a Cdrom

Hi To All, I Have Unfortunately Deleted my Grub,Initrd,Vmlinuz files. And am adding these files By using Rescue Mode, But it is not properly working. Give Me a Solution. Iam looking forward from any one. Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
1 Replies

7. Linux

Linux make bootable archive

Can anybody suggest me software to backup Linux server and to make them boot able (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
1 Replies

8. Fedora

make bootable usb from iso

I need to boot the ultimate boot cd from an usb stick. Do I just copy the iso image to the usb key? How do I make the usb stick bootable? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to make pxe file bootable

hi, i recently built a pxe file the problem is I don't know how to add it in the pxe server. I was wondering if you guys know how to add my pxe file in the pxe server so that when I run the device we're using, I can go lan boot then at boot: I will just type a text and it will boot the built... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Make an iSCSI LUN clone bootable

trying to do this for a DR situation. I've cloned an iSCSI LUN to another server. I've created an LDOM on it. set the LDOM to auto-boot=false and exported the LUN as a raw disk to the new LDOM. After starting the LDOM and telnetting to it. I can get to the OK prompt and see the disk but when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
2 Replies
BOOT.CONFIG(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    BOOT.CONFIG(5)

NAME
boot.config -- Configuration file for the boot blocks DESCRIPTION
The boot.config file contains options for the FreeBSD boot block code. When the FreeBSD boot loader runs, it searches the ``a'' slice of the boot partition for a boot.config file (as a result, slices which are missing an ``a'' partition require user intervention during the boot process). If the boot.config file is found, its contents are used as the default configuration options for the boot block code and are echoed to the system console. A valid format of this file is to put BIOS drive number, a controller type, a unit number, a partition, a kernel file name, and any other valid boot(8) option on a single line, as it is done at the ``boot:'' prompt. The options related to the boot image selection described below and all the other options available for boot.config are documented in detail in the boot(8) manual page. FILES
/boot.config parameters for the boot blocks (optional) EXAMPLES
The command: # echo "-P" > /boot.config will activate the serial console of FreeBSD. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader" > /boot.config will instruct the second stage of boot(8) on the first disk to boot with the third boot(8) stage from the second disk. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader -P" > /boot.config will do both of the above. SEE ALSO
boot(8), loader(8) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
May 13, 2007 BSD