Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Making sense of df -k & format verify output Post 76939 by gonzotonka on Friday 1st of July 2005 02:31:37 PM
Old 07-01-2005
I'm not sure I understood all your questions for me from the last reply. I do agree that that df -k and bdf are very simular, I was just confused by the mirroring and why some of the system type info is list the way it is. Could you explain one last point for me...
I see that /proc, fd, mnttab & swap are listed in the df -k. And I can see that /proc, fd & mnttab don't actually have any space allocated to them. I know that mnttab is used by the system to keep track of mount points. What is the purpose of /proc & fd? And why does swap have two listings and mounted at /var/run & /tmp?
thanks guys!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process calls - making sense of truss results

Can someone point me at resources for system calls? Specifically, I am trying to make sense of what I am seeing in a truss command. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to make sense of rsync output...

I'm running the following rsync command to sync a directory between the 2 servers: rsync -az --delete --stats /some_dir/ server_name:/some_dir I'm getting the following output: Number of files: 655174 Number of files transferred: 14221 Total file size: 1138531979331 bytes Total... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

manipulate & format the output of spool command

Hi All, I am spooling the data some sql queries into a single file but wanted to know how to format the data of the file generated by spool. #!/bin/sh unset -f USAGE USAGE () { clear echo "############################USAGE#######################\n" echo "Incorrect number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does fibonacci sequence script stop making sense at 92nd iteration?

So, Just for practice, I wrote a simple fibonacci sequence script in bash. (03:08:02\$ cat fib #!/usr/bin/bash ret () { echo -ne "\n" sleep .5 } a=1 b=2 echo -n $a #1 A ret echo -n $b #2 B ret (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

incrementing lines in the file & format output.

Hi All, I need read the file and out put format as below using ksh, I wrote below script its keep on repeating first line in the file. may i know the best way to get the below out put while incrementing line in the file. cat b.txt |awk '{print $0}' |while read line do aa=`cat $line |head -1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashanabey
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sar -d output... does not make sense

Can someone explain the correlation between how sar names the disk drives and how the rest of the OS names the disk drives? sar lists my disk drives as sd0, sd1, sd2, etc..... while format lists my disk drives as c1t0d0, c1t1d0, c1t2d0,etc... And also why sar shows 8 disks but format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
2 Replies

7. Programming

This Makes NO sense. I'm making a game and getting an error, need help.

Okay so I'm making a simple text based game that branches into different scenarios. By branching I mean branching off into whole different files with that part of the game in it. I got tired of working on scenario 1 so I'm working on scenario 2. As I get started and try to test it, I get an error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lemonoid
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Sense key unit attention & iostat hardware and transport errors on SAN disks

Hello, I'm trying to get to the bottom of SAN disk errors we've been seeing. Server is Sun Fire X4270 M2 running Solaris 10 8/11 u10 X86 since April 2012. SAN HBAs are SG-PCIE2FC-QF8-Z-Sun-branded Qlogic. SAN storage system is Hitachi VSP. We have 32 LUNs in use and another 8 LUNs not brought... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Beadm create -p on another pool - making sense of it

Hi all, I am trying out Solaris 11.3 Realize the option of -p when using beadm that i can actually create another boot environment on another pool. root@Unicorn6:~# beadm create -p mypool solaris-1 root@Unicorn6:~# beadm list -a BE/Dataset/Snapshot Flags... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javanoob
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script that verify output after make

Hi I write below script to show if expected file exist in /etc/library/ , print success else failed. But it will print full path I just need to print module name in output. And if it possible show time that spent to compile each module. FYI 1: First run another script just go to the paths... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indeed_1
1 Replies
mountall(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      mountall(1M)

NAME
mountall, umountall - mount, unmount multiple file systems SYNOPSIS
mountall [-F FSType] [-l | -r] [file_system_table] umountall [-k] [-s] [-F FSType] [-l | -r] [-n] umountall [-k] [-s] [-h host] [-n] DESCRIPTION
mountall is used to mount file systems specified in a file system table. The file system table must be in vfstab(4) format. If no file_sys- tem_table is specified, /etc/vfstab is used. If - is specified as file_system_table, mountall reads the file system table from the standard input. mountall mounts only those file systems with the mount at boot field set to yes in the file_system_table. For each file system in the file system table, the following logic is executed: if there exists a file/usr/lib/fs/FSType/fsckall, where FSType is the type of the file system, save that file system in a list to be passed later, and all at once, as arguments to the /usr/lib/fs/FSType/fsckall script. The /usr/lib/fs/FSType/fsckall script checks all of the file systems in its argument list to determine whether they can be safely mounted. If no /usr/lib/fs/FSType/fsckall script exists for the FSType of the file system, the file system is individually checked using fsck(1M). If the file system does not appear mountable, it is fixed using fsck before the mount is attempted. File systems with a - entry in the fsckdev field are mounted without first being checked. umountall causes all mounted file systems except root, /usr, /var, /var/adm, /var/run, /proc, and /dev/fd to be unmounted. If the FSType is specified, mountall and umountall limit their actions to the FSType specified. There is no guarantee that umountall unmounts busy file sys- tems, even if the -k option is specified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -F Specify the FSType of the file system to be mounted or unmounted. -h host Unmount all file systems listed in /etc/mnttab that are remote-mounted from host. -k Use the fuser -k mount-point command. See the fuser(1M) for details. The -k option sends the SIGKILL signal to each process using the file. As this option spawns kills for each process, the kill messages might not show up immediately. There is no guarantee that umountall unmounts busy file systems, even if the -k option is specified. -l Limit the action to local file systems. -n List the actions that would be performed for the specified options, but do not actually execute these actions. Repeating the command without the -n option executes the listed actions, assuming that the /etc/mnttab file has not changed in the interval prior to repeating the command. -r Limit the action to remote file system types. -s Do not perform the umount operation in parallel. FILES
/etc/mnttab Mounted file system table /etc/vfstab Table of file system defaults /usr/lib/fs/FSType/fsckall Script called by mountall to perform the file system check of all file systems of type FSType ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), fuser(1M), mount(1M), mnttab(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
No messages are printed if the file systems are mountable and clean. Error and warning messages come from fsck(1M) and mount(1M). SunOS 5.10 28 Oct 2002 mountall(1M)