Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers trying to delete a file named -e Post 76923 by steelrose on Friday 1st of July 2005 01:02:40 PM
Old 07-01-2005
Thank you

Thank you. I didn't notice it in the archives when I looked.
steelrose

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipe contents to a file

I want to copy the contents of a named pipe to a file. I have tried using: cat pipe.p >> transcript.log but I have been unsuccessful, any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

How to delete a file named "~" ???

When i 'ls' the bin folder, there was "~" tilde in the list. How to delete this safely as this symbol represents home folder. Kindly help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to file named with date

I would like to pipe (redirect ? - what is the right term?) the output of my script to a file named with the current date. If I run this at a command prompt: date +'%Y%m%d" ...it returns "20110429" OK, that's good... so I try: ./script.sh > "'date +%Y%m%d'.csv" I get a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant able to delete file named '\'

Hi folks Please help to delete the file -rw-r--r-- 1 sri sri 157 Dec 13 04:42 \ here unexpectedly "\" is created. if am deleting using > rm \ --i cant able to delete by using the command ******* here is the output i got **** sri:> cat \ > please help me how to delete ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolboy98699
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a file named " \ " ?

How do you delete a file named "\".... please help as i am unable to delete it.. Thanks & Regards Harish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harish369
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a file list via named pipe

I have a ksh93 script I use that processes a file list in the order that they exist in the list. I would like to speed up processing of the list by having multiple processes handle it at once. I was thinking that perhaps a good way to handle this would be to write the list to a named pipe and some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: benalt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting file named *

Hi, There is a file by name '*' in a hp-ux box. How can i delete the same? -rw-r--r-- 1 wleadm dba 1531 Jul 24 08:49 * need to delete this file named * without deleting any other file. Please help. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Remove oddly named file

I accidentally saved a txt file in vi with the name ":q!". no amount of regex tomfoolery I can think of will allow me to remove the file. anyone got any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test named pipe file?

Hi ALL, How can I test a given file name exists and if it is a named pipe file in shell script ? Thanks............ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mycode.in
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete oldest folder based on folder named as date

Hi, I have a script doing backup to synology server, the script create new folder each day with the date as being folder name i.e. 2018-07-30. Just before creating the new folder I want the script to find the oldest folder from the list and delete it including its content. for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
3 Replies
ARCHIVE_WRITE_FORMAT(3) 				   BSD Library Functions Manual 				   ARCHIVE_WRITE_FORMAT(3)

NAME
archive_write_set_format_cpio, archive_write_set_format_pax, archive_write_set_format_pax_restricted, archive_write_set_format_shar, archive_write_set_format_shar_dump, archive_write_set_format_ustar -- functions for creating archives LIBRARY
Streaming Archive Library (libarchive, -larchive) SYNOPSIS
#include <archive.h> int archive_write_set_format_cpio(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_pax(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_pax_restricted(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_shar(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_shar_dump(struct archive *); int archive_write_set_format_ustar(struct archive *); DESCRIPTION
These functions set the format that will be used for the archive. The library can write POSIX octet-oriented cpio format archives, POSIX-standard ``pax interchange'' format archives, traditional ``shar'' ar- chives, enhanced ``dump'' shar archives that store a variety of file attributes and handle binary files, and POSIX-standard ``ustar'' ar- chives. The pax interchange format is a backwards-compatible tar format that adds key/value attributes to each entry and supports arbitrary filenames, linknames, uids, sizes, etc. ``Restricted pax interchange format'' is the library default; this is the same as pax format, but suppresses the pax extended header for most normal files. In most cases, this will result in ordinary ustar archives. RETURN VALUES
These functions return ARCHIVE_OK on success, or ARCHIVE_FATAL. ERRORS
Detailed error codes and textual descriptions are available from the archive_errno() and archive_error_string() functions. SEE ALSO
tar(1), libarchive(3), archive_write(3), archive_write_set_options(3), cpio(5), mtree(5), tar(5) BSD
February 2, 2012 BSD