Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to concatenate two command in one line and get the display in one screen Post 76849 by matrixmadhan on Friday 1st of July 2005 04:34:33 AM
Old 07-01-2005
vino

in the script that u had provided

all the files under the first for loop (outer for loop) would be listed

and since there is a break statement in the second for loop
for all the files from the outer for loop only the first file would be printed from the second loop.

To put in more specific terms
ls /data/logs
1.txt
2.txt

ls /data/errors
3.txt
4.txt

output would be:
1.txt 3.txt
2.txt 3.txt

the file 4.txt will not be listed

but the required output is of the form
xx-xx-xx-xx abc.log xx-xx-xx-xx abc.err
xx-xx-xx-xx abc1.log xx-xx-xx-xx abc1.err
xx-xx-xx-xx abc2.log xx-xx-xx-xx abc2.err

plz let me know if i had misinterpreted anywhere .

you can try this... (this is not an efficient way)

ls -l | /data/logs | grep -v total | awk '{print $1, $9}' > t
ls -l | /data/errors | grep -v total | awk '{print $1, $9}' > t1

paste -d"\t" t t1

would give the required output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Display Printers via command line

Is there an easy way to view all printers on a local machine via command line or a script? I'm looking for the equivalent of clicking on "START, CONTROL PANEL, PRINTERS AND FAXES" to view the devices. I then want to cat it to a file where I would use it later. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
3 Replies

2. Solaris

screen saver command line on solaris10-intel

Hi All, I'm on Solaris10-intel and I'm on the classic GUI, CDE. Can't find the control for screen saver. Is there's a command line equivalent? Thanks in advance, itik (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need solution concatenate and display 2 lines as 1 with a condition for 2 line ?

I have 2 pattern of lines (SQL query and Time taken)in a log i need to capture all SQL queries with time taken >20 sec and need to display as one line. 2 lines from log: 2007-10-23 11:39:17,061 DEBUG - SQL Query : SELECT A.GROUP_CD , C.FN_CD FROM UP_GROUP A , PRD_GROUP_TO_FN B , PRD_FN... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vithala
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate and display 2 lines as 1 with a condition for 2 line ?

I have 2 pattern of lines (SQL query and Time taken)in a log i need to capture all SQL queries with time taken >20 sec and need to display as one line. 2 lines from log: 2007-10-23 11:39:17,061 DEBUG - SQL Query : SELECT A.GROUP_CD , C.FN_CD FROM UP_GROUP A , PRD_GROUP_TO_FN B , PRD_FN... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vithala
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

display warning messages on command line

I have made a script to print size of a slice if it reaches more then 80% which is working fine no problem in it. I want to add this script in crontab to print this message on command line every half hour if slice size reaches more then 80%. here is the line below i added on crontab 30 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danish Shakil
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display Specific line number using tail command

Hi , 1)i want to display specific line number using tail command. e.g. display 10 line from end. Please help... 2)Want to display line 10 to 15 (from end)using tail command) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Display SAM user list at the command line

Hello, I've been doing Linux and AIX administration for years, but I'm very new to HPUX. We have an old audit process which involves someone manually using sam to generate user lists. I'd like to kill that old process with fire... But... After working a bit in the morning to try and pull... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celt1977
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to display certain line of file only using head or tail in 1 command?

First month learning about the Linux terminal and it has been a challenge yet fun so far. We're learning by using a gameshell. I'm trying to display a certain line ( only allowed 1 command ) from a file only using the head or tail. I'm pretty about this answer: head -23 history.txt | tail -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forzatekk
1 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)