Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: smart question
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users smart question Post 76796 by zylwyz on Thursday 30th of June 2005 02:58:06 PM
Old 06-30-2005
Question smart question

eg. : there is a file - 322 bytes,
how can I (or you) view just a half of file (161 bytes)?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Real smart question

hello My question is whats the difference between LP and LPR to print Sun Solaris ? lp -dprintername postscriptfile.ps or lpr -Pprintname postscriptfile.ps (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

smart script?

First, I know that's a bad title. I couldn't think of anything short enough. ... I wrote the following script to let me know when various parts of the network are down. It used to look like this before last weekend when I got over 500 emails about 1 host being down all weekend: this is in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the difference between the commands cd ~smart and cd ~/smart

Is it possible for both commands to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need smart script !

Hi, I need a script to assign variables the below paths /appl/user_projects/domains/<xxx>/servers/<yyy>/logs Where <xxx> can be any number and name of directories. <yyy> can be another set of any number of names and directories. I want to neglect all the <xxx> and <yyy>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
elf_rawfile(3E) 														   elf_rawfile(3E)

NAME
elf_rawfile - retrieve uninterpreted file contents SYNOPSIS
[flag... ] file... [library] ... DESCRIPTION
returns a pointer to an uninterpreted byte image of the file. This function should be used only to retrieve a file being read. For exam- ple, a program might use to retrieve the bytes for an archive member. A program may not close or disable (see elf_cntl(3E)) the file descriptor associated with elf before the initial call to because might have to read the data from the file if it does not already have the original bytes in memory. Generally, this function is more efficient for unknown file types than for object files. The library implicitly translates object files in memory, while it leaves unknown files unmodi- fied. Thus asking for the uninterpreted image of an object file may create a duplicate copy in memory. (see elf_getdata(3E)) is a related function, providing access to sections within a file. If ptr is non-null, the library also stores the file's size, in bytes, in the location to which ptr points. If no data is present, elf is null, or an error occurs, the return value is a null pointer, with zero optionally stored through ptr. Note A program that uses and that also interprets the same file as an object file potentially has two copies of the bytes in memory. If such a program requests the raw image first, before it asks for translated information (through such functions as and so on), the library ``freezes'' its original memory copy for the raw image. It then uses this frozen copy as the source for creating translated objects, with- out reading the file again. Consequently, the application should view the raw file image returned by as a read-only buffer, unless it wants to alter its own view of data subsequently translated. In any case, the application may alter the translated objects without chang- ing bytes visible in the raw image. Multiple calls to with the same ELF descriptor return the same value; the library does not create duplicate copies of the file. SEE ALSO
elf(3E), elf_begin(3E), elf_cntl(3E), elf_getdata(3E), elf_getehdr(3E), elf_getident(3E), elf_kind(3E). elf_rawfile(3E)