Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: smart question
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users smart question Post 76796 by zylwyz on Thursday 30th of June 2005 02:58:06 PM
Old 06-30-2005
Question smart question

eg. : there is a file - 322 bytes,
how can I (or you) view just a half of file (161 bytes)?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Real smart question

hello My question is whats the difference between LP and LPR to print Sun Solaris ? lp -dprintername postscriptfile.ps or lpr -Pprintname postscriptfile.ps (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

smart script?

First, I know that's a bad title. I couldn't think of anything short enough. ... I wrote the following script to let me know when various parts of the network are down. It used to look like this before last weekend when I got over 500 emails about 1 host being down all weekend: this is in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the difference between the commands cd ~smart and cd ~/smart

Is it possible for both commands to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need smart script !

Hi, I need a script to assign variables the below paths /appl/user_projects/domains/<xxx>/servers/<yyy>/logs Where <xxx> can be any number and name of directories. <yyy> can be another set of any number of names and directories. I want to neglect all the <xxx> and <yyy>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
READ(2) 							System Calls Manual							   READ(2)

NAME
read, readn, write - read or write file SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> long read(int fd, void *buf, long nbytes) long readn(int fd, void *buf, long nbytes) long write(int fd, void *buf, long nbytes) DESCRIPTION
Read reads nbytes bytes of data from the offset in the file associated with fd into memory at buf. The offset is advanced by the number of bytes read. It is not guaranteed that all nbytes bytes will be read; for example if the file refers to the console, at most one line will be returned. In any event the number of characters read is returned. A return value of 0 is conventionally interpreted as end of file. Readn is just like read, but does successive read calls until nbytes have been read, or a read system call returns a non-positive count. Write writes nbytes bytes of data starting at buf to the file associated with fd at the file offset. The offset is advanced by the number of bytes written. The number of characters actually written is returned. It should be regarded as an error if this is not the same as requested. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/9syscall /sys/src/libc/port/readn.c SEE ALSO
intro(2), open(2), dup(2), pipe(2) DIAGNOSTICS
These functions set errstr. READ(2)