Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change to a new working directory... Post 76676 by reborg on Wednesday 29th of June 2005 06:40:37 PM
Old 06-29-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagannatha
Hi vino,

Thanks heaps I tried your advise, but I keep getting -bash: ../stpth: No such
Look carefully at the previous posts there was a space between the two '.' in the post.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time change not working...

Hi, I am pretty new to the Solaris world. Just installed the version 8 and found that the time is off. I am in the Central time zone. In the beginning, the date and time was off by a day. After changing the /etc/default/init, there is no avail. The date is now correct but the time is still 5 hours... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: conflansun
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change working directories in perl?

i am new to perl. i am writing a perl script. i want to know how to change the working directories? for ex. i have a perl script in c:\proj\ . i want to run this script in this directory but i need my script to change its working directory to D:\xyz\ dynamically in the script. your help is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change current working directory for dbx on UNIX?

How to change current working directory for dbx on UNIX? means I'll run pgm from one directory , but getcwd() should return path which I want to be, which is not d current dir :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: login0001
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do I change the minimum working frequency ?

The file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_frequency reads a value of 800 Mhz . The powertop tool also suggested that 800 Mhz w3as the minimum frequency being used . I changed the above-mentioned file to 1.6 GHz and monitored powertop tool again . To my surprise, it still said that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
3 Replies

5. Linux

DST Time Change for positive timezones not working

I was doing timezone and DST testing which is required for some of my products Here is the strange behaviour i observed First i did set the timezone to PST 2010 (which is less than GMT basically negative timezone) zdump -v /etc/localtime |grep 2010 /etc/localtime Sun Mar 14 09:59:59... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravindra1103
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP mget * not working after change directory -cd

Hi everyone, I have an Linux FTP script to get files from different AS400 mailboxes and store in different local directories. I had to use mget * option becuase there is no fixed destination file name means filename can change. The following FTP script is working fine if we have single file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oravikiran
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change database directory to another directory?

Hi, I Installed mysql on my CentOS 6.2 Server. But when I tried to change the location of /var/lib/mysql to another directory. I can't start the mysql. Below is what I've done yum install mysql mysql-server mysql-devel mkdir /path/to/new/ cp -R /var/lib/mysql /path/to/new chown -R... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganitolngyundre
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Change delimiter is not working using awk

I have file 2.txt and I want to change the delimiter form , to : Not sure what is the problem with below command cat 2.txt 1,a 2,b 3,d awk 'BEGIN {FS=",";OFS=":";} {print $0}' 2.txt Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsi.valiveti
11 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)