Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls with wildcards
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ls with wildcards Post 76597 by benu302000 on Wednesday 29th of June 2005 10:18:58 AM
Old 06-29-2005
I think it has something to do with the * character, because I just tried

ls *.dat > file_names.txt

and I know there are .dat files in there
is there an escape character I need? or some special formatting, or what?

this works on the command line, just not in the script file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Makefile wildcards

Using a makefile I want to compile all .c files in the current directory without specifying them directly and then link their associated .o files into a library. How do I do this ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcscott
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and wildcards

I am using this code to locate and modify one particular ID in a file containing thousands of entries sed 's/^>OldID/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile How can I modify the code so I can rename all old IDs to a new unique ID? I tried this sed 's/^>*/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile but it did not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ln -s accept wildcards?

Does ln -s accept wildcards? It doesn't seem like it is working when I use wildcards. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop with wildcards

Hi, I've got a ksh for loop with wildcards specified, and I want the wildcards to be preserved when inside the loop. Instead, it is expanding the wilcards and identifying filenames in the current directory #!/usr/bin/ksh list="a* b*" for i in ${list} do echo 'Loop value =' ${i} done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Wildcards in scp

to scp using windcards you use the following : scp 'hostname:/home/username/diff_201110*' . Enjoy ! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards and exceptions

Hello: I have a very basic question. I'd like to select all files except for one file. For example, say I want to move all of the files in my current directory to a subdirectory called archive, I would use mv ./* archive/ But what if I want to move all files except for README.txt? Is there an... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny.Boy
19 Replies
update-fontlang(8)					       Debian User's Manual						update-fontlang(8)

NAME
update-language, update-fmtutil, update-fmtlang - update various TeX-related configuration files SYNOPSIS
update-language [options] update-fmtutil [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page explains briefly the usage of the three TeX configuration update programs update-language and update-fmtutil. The update-fontlang script should not be called directly, but only via the two described links. For a more in-depth description, please see the document TeX on Debian in /usr/share/doc/tex-common/TeX-on-Debian.txt.gz (also available as HTML and PDF). The programs update-language and update-fmtutil create or update the configuration files language.dat and fmtutil.cnf, respectively. These files define the hyphenation patterns to be loaded into LaTeX-related TeX formats (language.dat), and the list of formats to be created (fmtutil.cnf). These programs can be used either in system-wide mode if called by root, or in a user-specific mode if called by a user without super-user privileges. OPTIONS
-c DIR, --conf-dir=DIR directory where the user-specific configuration files are looked for in user-specific mode (default TEXMFCONFIG/language.d for update-language and TEXMFCONFIG/fmt.d for update-fmtutil, where TEXMFCONFIG is usually $HOME/.texmf-config). -o FILE, --output-file=FILE file to write the output to. Per default, in system-wide mode, update-language writes to /var/lib/texmf/tex/generic/config/lan- guage.dat and update-fmtutil writes to /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf. --checks perform sanity checks on the generated config file. Don't use this in maintainer scripts. --quiet don't write anything to the standard output during normal operation --help print a summary of the command-line usage and exit --version output version information and exit USAGE
In system-wide mode, both programs merge those files ("configuration snippets") with a specific extension in the respective configuration directories to produce the final file. These configuration directories and extensions are language.d and .cnf for update-language, and fmt.d and .cnf for update-fmtutil. In system-wide mode, these directories are those under /etc/texmf/. Both TeX add-on packages and local administrators can add files to these directories. If a package that provides such snippets is removed but not purged, including the snippet will likely break the system. To prevent the inclusion in these cases, snippets installed by packages have to contain a magic header: # -_- DebPkgProvidedMaps -_- which local administrators should not remove. From the files with a magic header, only those files which are also listed in one of the files in /var/lib/tex-common/language-cnf/ for update-language, and /var/lib/tex-common/fmtutil-cnf/ for update-fmtutil, are actually included into the final output file. This way, local changes to the configuration can be preserved while the package is in state 'rc' (that is, the package is removed, but its configuration files are still present). For details about this mechanism, package maintainers should consult the Debian TeX Policy. As a special case, the files for JadeTeX and xmlTeX are only included if there is already a file for the LaTeX format (see TeX on Debian for details). The user-specific mode provides a way for a non-admin user to override system-wide settings. In this mode, update-language writes to TEXM- FVAR/tex/generic/config/language.dat, and update-fmtutil writes to TEXMFVAR/web2c/fmtutil.cnf, where TEXMFVAR is usually $HOME/.texmf-var. Furthermore, files present within the user-specific configuration directories are included in addition to the files present in the system- wide configuration directories. In case the same filename exists in the system-wide configuration directory and the user-specific configu- ration directory, the user-specific file is used instead of the system-wide one. The user-specific configuration directories are TEXMFCON- FIG/language.d for update-language and TEXMFCONFIG/fmt.d for update-fmtutil, where TEXMFCONFIG is usually $HOME/.texmf-config. The system- wide configuration directories have the same names, but are located in /etc/texmf/ instead of TEXMFCONFIG. Note that changes introduced by updates of packages are not propagated to the user's configuration files. This has to be done by hand. FILES
/var/lib/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat This file is generated or updated by update-language in system-wide mode and contains a list of the hyphenation patterns loaded into LaTeX-based formats by fmtutil-sys. /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf This file is generated or updated by update-fmtutil in system-wide mode and contains a list of formats to be generated by fmtutil- sys. /etc/texmf/language.d/name.cnf Input files for update-language /etc/texmf/fmt.d/name.cnf Input files for update-fmtutil /var/lib/tex-common/language-cnf/package.list Lists the file(s) installed by package in /etc/texmf/language.d/. /var/lib/tex-common/fmtutil-cnf/package.list Lists the file(s) installed by package in /etc/texmf/fmt.d/. SEE ALSO
fmtutil(1), fmtutil-sys(1) The programs actually using the generated configuration files (language.dat and fmtutil.cnf). TeX on Debian Documentation to be found in /usr/share/doc/tex-common/TeX-on-Debian.txt.gz (also available as HTML and PDF), describing in more detail how to setup and maintain a TeX system in Debian. It also includes details on user-specific configuration. Debian TeX Policy to be found in /usr/share/doc/tex-common/Debian-TeX-Policy.txt.gz (also available as HTML and PDF), describing the internals and the TeX Policy established on the Debian TeX mailing-list (debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org). Intended audience is mainly developers packaging TeX-related resources for Debian. dh_installtex(1) a debhelper-like script for managing the installation of files into the system-wide configuration directories; this script helps to write Debian packages containing TeX-related resources that conform to the Debian TeX Policy. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Norbert Preining <preining@debian.org> for the Debian distribution (and may be used by others). It was later updated by Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr>. Debian 2006-12-11 update-fontlang(8)