Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers text formating/Text space padding Post 76588 by hugow on Wednesday 29th of June 2005 09:49:43 AM
Old 06-29-2005
This is the format of my current log file after the script has run.

/edi/iTracTEST/sessions/otherreceive/nohup.out @ 08:19:46 from 63 - 63
/edi/iTracTEST/sessions/payroll/nohup.out @ 08:19:46 from 52395 - 63
/edi/iTracTEST/sessions/payrollmsg/nohup.out @ 08:19:46 from 56931 - 63

As from the first record/line.
The path and file name is already in a variable from a the for loop in the script.
The "@" is echoed.
The time is coming from the date command.
The "from" is echoed.
The first 63 is the initial file size in bytes as from a variable in the for loop.
The "-" is echoed.
The second 63 is the current/new file size as from a variable in the for loop.

I would like the log file to look like this. !!!Notice I have swapped the sizes!!!

/edi/iTracTEST/sessions/otherreceive/nohup.out 08:19:46 63 63
/edi/iTracTEST/sessions/payroll/nohup.out 08:19:46 63 52395
/edi/iTracTEST/sessions/payrollmsg/nohup.out 08:19:46 63 56931

This just make the log file more readable.
Here is some of the code, thus far.

sess_path=/edi/iTracTEST/sessions/
ls -pl /edi/iTracTEST/sessions/ | awk '$1 ~ /^d/ $9 ~ /\/$/' | awk '{print $9}' > `pwd`/temp/`date +"%C%y%m%d"`.tmp
for nohup_loc in $(cat `pwd`/temp/`date +"%C%y%m%d"`.tmp)
do
nohup_loc2=$sess_path$nohup_loc"nohup.out"
if test -s $nohup_loc2
then
cur_fsize=`ls -l $nohup_loc2 | awk '{print $5}'`
echo !!! Reset nohup.out file at `date` !!! > $nohup_loc2
new_fsize=`ls -l $nohup_loc2 | awk '{print $5}'`
echo $nohup_loc2 @ `date +%H:%M:%S` from $cur_fsize - $new_fsize >> `pwd`/log/`date +"%C%y%m%d"`_nohup_reset.log
fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formating text from a script into a log file

Using a for loop I am able to get the following log file below. I would like o change the format a bit as is indicated lower down. I have looked at awk and sed but somehow is not getting any joy. I am a bit new to ksh scripting. Please assist. This is the format of my current log file after the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Formating mailx text file for Lotus Notes users

We use AIX mailx or sendmail. How can I format a text file so that lotus notes users can see diferent fonts and highlighting. Or can a gif file (company logo..) be sent along with a text file and the Lotus notes user would see the logo and text displayed at the same time and not as an attachment? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lidoiwo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

batch formating filenames with zero padding

My little script for producing pseudo random file names works OK; but I need the file names to be formatted with zero padding, probably %05d here's the script so far #!/bin/bash ls *.jpg > list for i in `cat list` do rnd=$RANDOM mv "$i" "$rnd" done I've been trying printf but can't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: platz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

TEXT formating using script

Dear All I am facing problem while extracting data from below mention input file. My op should be like this.Required field display in red in file. Request you all to help. OP: RXOTX-46-5 1B4 RXOTX-46-4 2B5 INPUT FILE: <RXMFP:MO=RXOTX-46-5; RADIO X-CEIVER ADMINISTRATION... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formating

Dear all I had input file as mention below and want op as mention. Kindly let me knw possible ways. Regards Jaydeep INPUT: RXOTX-48-1 2A 34 2B 35 RXOTX-499-2 2C 32 RXOTX-4-1 2D 23 OUTPUT: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formating issue

Hi, I am trying to format the output of my script in a tabular format using the html code in my shell script. I am using html code for the first time in a shell script.I am trying to execute this script in Ksh but it is not getting executed. Can you please help me in figuring this out.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaacsam
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

fixed length text file padding issues in AIX

Hi, I have a fixed length text file that needs to be cut into individual files in aix and facing padding issues. If I have multiple blank spaces in the file it is just making it one while cutting the files.. Eg:- $ - blank space filename:file.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a text file with irregular spacing into a space delimited text file?

I have a text file with irregular spacing between values which makes it really difficult to manipulate. Is there an easy way to convert it into a space delimited text file so that all the spaces, double spaces, triple spaces, tabs between numbers are converted into spaces. The file looks like this:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text Formating or Modifying

Hi Experts, I have a text exactly like below in a file: id item_id item_date prin_mkt_val --------------------------- --------------------------- ------------------------------- ------------------------ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apatil65
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies
NOHUP(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty SYNOPSIS
nohup COMMAND [ARG]... nohup OPTION DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If standard input is a terminal, redirect it from an unreadable file. If standard output is a terminal, append output to 'nohup.out' if possible, '$HOME/nohup.out' otherwise. If standard error is a terminal, redirect it to standard output. To save output to FILE, use 'nohup COMMAND > FILE'. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nohup, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's doc- umentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nohup translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nohup> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nohup invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NOHUP(1)