Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers text formating/Text space padding Post 76558 by vino on Wednesday 29th of June 2005 06:49:08 AM
Old 06-29-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul123_libra
echo " Name Time Size "

Inside the for loop try this :-

ls -lrt $file | awk '{print $9; print $8; print $5}' | tr '\n\ ' '
echo " "

where file is the file retrieved from the loop
Why the tr after the awk and also the multi - print's?

Code:
ls -lrt $file | awk '{print $9 "\t" $8 "\t" $5}'

Thats a tab-delimited output.

Not tested tho'.

vino

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formating text from a script into a log file

Using a for loop I am able to get the following log file below. I would like o change the format a bit as is indicated lower down. I have looked at awk and sed but somehow is not getting any joy. I am a bit new to ksh scripting. Please assist. This is the format of my current log file after the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Formating mailx text file for Lotus Notes users

We use AIX mailx or sendmail. How can I format a text file so that lotus notes users can see diferent fonts and highlighting. Or can a gif file (company logo..) be sent along with a text file and the Lotus notes user would see the logo and text displayed at the same time and not as an attachment? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lidoiwo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

batch formating filenames with zero padding

My little script for producing pseudo random file names works OK; but I need the file names to be formatted with zero padding, probably %05d here's the script so far #!/bin/bash ls *.jpg > list for i in `cat list` do rnd=$RANDOM mv "$i" "$rnd" done I've been trying printf but can't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: platz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

TEXT formating using script

Dear All I am facing problem while extracting data from below mention input file. My op should be like this.Required field display in red in file. Request you all to help. OP: RXOTX-46-5 1B4 RXOTX-46-4 2B5 INPUT FILE: <RXMFP:MO=RXOTX-46-5; RADIO X-CEIVER ADMINISTRATION... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formating

Dear all I had input file as mention below and want op as mention. Kindly let me knw possible ways. Regards Jaydeep INPUT: RXOTX-48-1 2A 34 2B 35 RXOTX-499-2 2C 32 RXOTX-4-1 2D 23 OUTPUT: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formating issue

Hi, I am trying to format the output of my script in a tabular format using the html code in my shell script. I am using html code for the first time in a shell script.I am trying to execute this script in Ksh but it is not getting executed. Can you please help me in figuring this out.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaacsam
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

fixed length text file padding issues in AIX

Hi, I have a fixed length text file that needs to be cut into individual files in aix and facing padding issues. If I have multiple blank spaces in the file it is just making it one while cutting the files.. Eg:- $ - blank space filename:file.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a text file with irregular spacing into a space delimited text file?

I have a text file with irregular spacing between values which makes it really difficult to manipulate. Is there an easy way to convert it into a space delimited text file so that all the spaces, double spaces, triple spaces, tabs between numbers are converted into spaces. The file looks like this:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text Formating or Modifying

Hi Experts, I have a text exactly like below in a file: id item_id item_date prin_mkt_val --------------------------- --------------------------- ------------------------------- ------------------------ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apatil65
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies
PRINT(3)								 1								  PRINT(3)

print - Output a string

SYNOPSIS
int print (string $arg) DESCRIPTION
Outputs $arg. print is not actually a real function (it is a language construct) so you are not required to use parentheses with its argument list. PARAMETERS
o $arg - The input data. RETURN VALUES
Returns 1, always. EXAMPLES
Example #1 print examples <?php print("Hello World"); print "print() also works without parentheses."; print "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; print "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; print "escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside a print statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; print "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $bar = array("value" => "foo"); print "this is {$bar['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value print 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just print variables print $foo; // foobar print <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon no extra whitespace! END; ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
echo(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group PRINT(3)