Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris problem in changing the NIS passwd Post 76547 by syzhh on Wednesday 29th of June 2005 04:20:17 AM
Old 06-29-2005
try to do the followings

after change the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadows, try to do the followings:

1、 cd /var/yp
2、/usr/ccs/bin/make

these 2 steps can update the "nis maps", try to do so. Call ,and tell me the result. bye!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Changing With NIS

SCO OpenServer 5.05 Has anyone ever received this error when attempting to change/assign a user password? #ypasswd ======================================= yppasswd: (host name) is not running yppasswd daemon Password request denied. Reason: Remote password change request denied.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Problem in changing password in NIS

Hi, I need help urgently. I've been running NIS for 4 years without problem. And just two weeks ago, all my users are unable to change their password which never happens before. When we issue passwd or yppasswd, this is what we get passwd : Changing password for Jennifer Enter existing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer
2 Replies

3. Solaris

NIS Problem

I'm having an issue with NIS. I run the following: ./nisclient -i -d XXX.XXXX.XXX -h XXXX-XXXX Everytime I do this with both my master and slave servers up and running and I go to reboot my client the client will hang after starting RPCBIND, and NIS Cachemanager. If I take my slave NIS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buckhtr77
1 Replies

4. AIX

new password not available on nis client for up to 10 minutes after yppush passwd

Hi, We are currently in the process to move the user authentication for our AIX clients to a Windows 2003 server to authenticate them against the active directory entries. What we have so far: - NIS master server on Windows 2003 Server with the unix-subsystem installed -> This is managing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: candyflip2000
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Passwd Changing Acting Strange

Hello. I'm getting very odd behavior when I try to change a user's password in Solaris 8. The shell, where it used to ask for a new passwd and a confirmation, now asks FOUR times, with two success message. This is what happens every time: # passwd myusername New Password: xxxxxxxx New... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockusa
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Changing Password in NIS

Friends I want to know whether i can change the password of a user logged in thru NIS from a client machine after stopping the YP services in NIS server. Note - The Slave server is up and running. I tried doing this. But i got the reply "Permission Denied". I stopped the YP services in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: efunds
7 Replies

7. HP-UX

Openspool problem when changing /etc/passwd permissions

My goal is to protect the /etc/passwd from unauthorized viewing. I wish ti change the permissions of the file to : -r--r----- 1 root bin so only root or accounts of the "bin" group could query this sensitive file. All our other processes have been ajusted to not need any info from... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartinGravel
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing Passwd on Many servers that is not NIS

Hi Expert, I have environment where password is locally managed, not NIS, not LDAP, not Centrally managed. In order to access to this environment I have to use Jump Box, and only from jumpbox I can login to every host. I can't login direct from inside one host within that environment to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regmaster
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Impact on existing users when changing passwd defaults

Hi Administering Solaris Systems - Solaris 10 mostly. If I change the /etc/default/passwd settings - E.G. to increase minimum passwd length, then what happens to existing users with passwords shorter than this. presumably they are not affected until next time they want to change password. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Changing windows xp passwd doetn't change smbpasswd on server

Hi All we have small network which is in work group environment.We have one Samba server for sharing data on network.My Problem is when user change his/her password on windows machine i have to manually update his smb passwd on Samba server.I want password should change automatically on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
2 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd, ypchfn, ypchsh - change your password in the NIS database SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [-f] [-l] [-p] [user] ypchfn [user] ypchsh [user] DESCRIPTION
In the old days, the standard passwd(1), chfn(1) and chsh(1) tools could not be used under Linux to change the users NIS password, shell and GECOS information. For changing the NIS information, they were replaced by their NIS counterparts, yppasswd, ypchfn and ypchsh. Today, this versions are deprecated and should not be used any longer. Using the command line switches, you can choose whether to update your password -p, your login shell -l, or your GECOS field -f, or a com- bination of them. yppasswd implies the -p option, if no other option is given. If you use the -f or -l option, you also need to add the -p flag. ypchfn implies the -f option, and ypchsh -l. When invoked without the user argument, the account information for the invoking user will be updated, otherwise that of user will be updated. This option is only available to the super-user. If the yppasswdd daemon on the server supports it, you can give the root password of the server instead of the users [old] password. All tools will first prompt the user for the current NIS password needed for authentication with the yppasswdd(8) daemon. Subsequently, the program prompts for the updated information: yppasswd or -p Change the user's NIS password. The user is prompted for the new password. While typing the password, echoing is turned off, so the password does not appear on the screen. An empty password is rejected, as are passwords shorter than six characters. The user will then be requested to retype the password to make sure it wasn't misspelled the first time. ypchsh or -l Change the user's login shell. The user is prompted for a new shell, offering the old one as default: Login shell [/bin/sh]: _ To accept the default, simply press return. To clear the shell field in your passwd(5) file entry (so that the system's default shell is selected), enter the string none. ypchfn or -f Change the user's full name and related information. Traditionally, some applications expect the GECOS field (field 4) of the passwd(5) file to contain the user's real name (as opposed to the login name) plus some additional information like the office phone number. This information is displayed by finger(1) and probably some other tools, too. When setting the full name, ypchfn displays the following prompts, with the defaults in brackets: Name [Joe Doe]: Location [2nd floor, bldg 34]: Office Phone [12345]: Home Phone []: To accept a default, simply press return. To clear a field, enter the string none. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), finger(1), passwd(5), passwd(1), ypcat(1), yppasswdd(8), ypserv(8), ypwhich(1) AUTHOR
yppasswd is part of the yp-tools package, which was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. YP Tools 2.9 June 2004 yppasswd(1)