Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pager message from UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Pager message from UNIX Post 7625 by edog on Friday 28th of September 2001 11:33:44 AM
Old 09-28-2001
Do your pagers have the capability of pages through email. or is it via phone only? We use pagenet for exactly what you want to do, often I know when a script has failed before the autosys operator. Here is what we use with pagenet pagers.

#!/usr/bin/ksh
. ~/.profile
#
# Usage is DoPager PIN Subject Message
#

function DoProcess {
# echo "+++++ `date` $ProcName is processing"

MESG=$3

echo $MESG | mail -s "$2" 6085551116.$1@pagenet.net

i don't think there is a pager function in autosys but if you get a script to do the page you could set it up to be executed as a on failure command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process pager - by cell phone or just e-mail notify

hi all.. i need any help. i want to create in my crontab a simple script for verify any process and notify for the status in my e-mail or cell phone. anybody help me? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: squash
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need a unix script to let me know by email or pager when the filesystem is 80% full.

Does anyone have a script to check disk space usage. My backup directory keeps filling up with archivelog files and I need a script to let me know by email or pager when the filesystem is 80% full. Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jzjy0r
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix login welcome message

When I telnet to a unix server someone put a stupid message there: Last login: Mon Nov 15 16:59:13 from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic Patch October 2001 YO! <-- message Mon Nov 15 17:19:05 EST 2004 How did they do it and how can I find out who did it? ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: webtekie
17 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send message from Unix to PC

What is the best way to send message from Unix script to PC users connected to the box ? I tried "smbclient -M <machine>" but doesn't work. I prefer not to use Samba. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnagaya
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Error Message in unix

Hi all......I'm sorry if my english is not that good. Can somebody help me to about this error. I found it in message.log Jan 16 18:22:42 ASM imapd: get_balanced_partition: -- chosen Jan 16 18:22:50 ASM SUNW,UltraSPARC-III+: NOTICE: Corrected system bus (CE) Event detected by CPU1 at TL=0,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: komang
2 Replies

6. AIX

mail, aliases, pager

Hi, I have two aliases for two types of alert. /etc/aliases italert1: user1@company.com italertb: 123456@paging.isp.com The first alias containts only an email to go through the company exchange/mail server. Works fine. The second alias contains only a pager which also works fine.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

7. Programming

UNIX Message Queue

Hello !!!!! I have a simple question but i can't find the answer anywhere hope to meet it here. Why it is a bad idea to pass pointers through message queues ? Most structs i see all of their char types are arrays... Is it becase having pointers means we could possibily send wrong bytes ? For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qlyine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pager Alert

I want to check the log file continoulsy and to send a page alert if i see specific message like Reached Max Connrctions . Please suggest how to do this through script DO i need to enable the cronjob to run the script evey 5 min or what is the best way (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskalyani9
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Pager notification to mailx command.

Is it possible to add Pager Notification to mailx command?? :confused: Or by any other mean. ---------- Post updated at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:08 AM ---------- Hi just want to specify that by Pager i mean a message to the mobile number. Suppose i have following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

All output to terminal pager by default

How can I have all my output to a terminal pager by default. I want all output to pause once screen is full. Piping to more does not work if the app/script is interactive (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
2 Replies
MESG(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           MESG(1)

NAME
mesg - display (or do not display) messages from other users SYNOPSIS
mesg [option] [n|y] DESCRIPTION
The mesg utility is invoked by a user to control write access others have to the terminal device associated with standard error output. If write access is allowed, then programs such as talk(1) and write(1) may display messages on the terminal. Traditionally, write access is allowed by default. However, as users become more conscious of various security risks, there is a trend to remove write access by default, at least for the primary login shell. To make sure your ttys are set the way you want them to be set, mesg should be executed in your login scripts. ARGUMENTS
n Disallow messages. y Allow messages to be displayed. If no arguments are given, mesg shows the current message status on standard error output. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Explain what is being done. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT STATUS
The mesg utility exits with one of the following values: 0 Messages are allowed. 1 Messages are not allowed. >1 An error has occurred. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[pq]? SEE ALSO
login(1), talk(1), write(1), wall(1), xterm(1) HISTORY
A mesg command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The mesg command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 MESG(1)