Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Will Old Files Be Removed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Will Old Files Be Removed Post 76231 by matrixmadhan on Monday 27th of June 2005 12:24:33 AM
Old 06-27-2005
hi

when i said its a non-Dos partition, i meant that the partition is not native to Windows.

though it is not native to windows, u can still install windows OS in a NTFS partition, but the thing is you cannot go for an allocation like C:, D:, E: different drives in windows

if partition type is NTFS only one drive -> entire hard disk space would come under primary drive

as you are installing unix, type of partitions you can make use of is ext2fs, ex3fs, swap etc

the partition types that i have mentioned above are few in numbers. There are many other types of partitions particular to an OS.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bring back removed files

Dear People I have removed some of my files and directories( by using rm and rmdir commands) by mistake. I wish to bring them back. How is it possible?( I am using solaris 2.6) best regards Reza Nazarian:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recovering files removed with rm

Hello, I was reading the manual on rm and it states that when you use 'rm' the files are usual recoverable, how is this done? Does it assume that a backup system is in place? Cheers Jack (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack1981
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How UNIX admin set up this? how files of 744 of other owner can be removed by another owner?

Hi all, We have some files are under 744 permissions and the the owner is say owner1 and group1. Now we have another user owner2 of group2, owner2 can remove files of the owner1 and the permission of those files are 744, unix admin told us he did some config at his side so we can do that. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rebuild/update fuppes database if files are added/removed from directory

The title says it all. I have a upnp server running fuppes that is connected to my xbox360. In order to see the files on the xbox360 i have to manually update and rebuild the database anytime i add or remove files. I have tried cron jobs to do it every 20 min which works, but if I am streaming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tr6699
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can I view removed/deleted files

I have a script that have deleted some files, and I need to know which files were deleted. Is there a log file in linux that shows deleted files? I use ubuntu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging few files into one, duplicates are removed

Hello, I have few file such as below: abc.txt def.txt ghi.txt jkl.txt n.txt I would like to merge all these files together into one file. At the same time, any duplicates will be removed. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alegnagrp
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Can all files under /tmp be safely removed

I wanted to know whether all files under /tmp can be safely removed. I guess that /tmp may also have temporary files for applications currently being worked on, so at the most those applications may just shut down. I hope that my question is clear whether all files under /tmp can be safely... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File Management: Removing of files from Server2 IF the same file is removed from Server1.

Hi Folks, I have a requirement of file management on different servers. Source Server is SERVER-A. Two servers will fetch files from SERVER-A: SERVER1 and SERVER2. 4th SERVER is SERVER-B, It will fetch files from SERVER1. If SERVER1 goes DOWN, SERVER-B will fetch pending files from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
2 Replies
FDISK(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  FDISK(8)

NAME
fdisk - partition a hard disk [IBM] SYNOPSIS
fdisk [-hm] [-sn] [file] OPTIONS
-h Number of disk heads is m -s Number of sectors per track is n EXAMPLES
fdisk /dev/hd0 # Examine disk partitions fdisk -h9 /dev/hd0 # Examine disk with 9 heads DESCRIPTION
When fdisk starts up, it reads in the partition table and displays it. It then presents a menu to allow the user to modify partitions, store the partition table on a file, or load it from a file. Partitions can be marked as MINIX, DOS or other, as well as active or not. Using fdisk is self-explanatory. However, be aware that repartitioning a disk will cause information on it to be lost. Rebooting the sys- tem immediately is mandatory after changing partition sizes and parameters. MINIX, XENIX, PC-IX, and MS-DOS all have different partition numbering schemes. Thus when using multiple systems on the same disk, be careful. Note that MINIX, unlike MS-DOS , cannot access the last sector in a partition with an odd number of sectors. The reason that odd partition sizes do not cause a problem with MS-DOS is that MS-DOS allocates disk space in units of 512-byte sectors, whereas MINIX uses 1K blocks. Fdisk has a variety of other features that can be seen by typing h. Fdisk normally knows the geometry of the device by asking the driver. You can use the -h and -s options to override the numbers found. SEE ALSO
part(8). FDISK(8)