Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password set to null
Operating Systems Solaris Password set to null Post 76180 by zazzybob on Saturday 25th of June 2005 10:05:59 AM
Old 06-25-2005
Hmm.... i'd say put the string NP in the 2nd field of the shadow file....

From the Sun Solaris 8 Sys Admin Guide (Part One)
Quote:
password Might contain the following entries: a 13-character encrypted
user password; the string *LK*, which indicates an inaccessible
account; or the string NP, which indicates no password for the
account.
Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Set Password Never Expire

Hello I want to set the password for user never expire through the command line. For your information the box is running under Solaris 8 platform. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamsul
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can we set it so people can't use the same password twice?

If we have it so users accounts need a new password after 90 days is there a way to also say that after 90 days they need to use a new password and not let them use the same one twice? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Not able to (re)set the Password

I have installed Solaris 10 x86 in VMware 5.5.I logged in as root user and trying to create new user and also reset the password for existing user, i am getting "Permission Denied Error". I checked the /etc/shadow file, looks fine permission is 400. Earlier i was able to do it but suddenly it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khagendra
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

set password not to expire

Hi All, Is this true on chage command? -M, MAX_DAYS Passing the number -1 as MAX_DAYS will remove checking a password's validity. Does this means password will not expire anymore? Thanks for any comment you may add. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Set Password Account to NP or NL

Hi Everyone, my name`s Sergio. I need your help please. I have a problem using Solaris 9. I create an account with the command line "useradd", with this I have no problem. My problem is I need set the created account to NP (No Password or Non Login). For example: cat /etc/shadow ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roswell
2 Replies

6. Solaris

cant set password for user

hi everybody i cant set password for user (jam) i tried to #passwd jam enter newpasswd : after enter it showing passwd : cannot get default domain:internal yp server or client error i also check cat /etc/shadow file jam:*:LK*:........ user is locked ... and i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolboys
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to set the password from *LK* to *NP*

okay here I go again... I have created a script which adds new user to /etc/password and which inturn creating a locked password in /etc/shadow but I am expecting to have *NP* for that particular user.Can someone help me with a script which can set the password for a particular user to NP in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sintilash
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i set a password to a directory?

A situation where i need to create 10 directories and set its 10 passwords. Since each of the directories contents would be critical, only few users need to access. :wall: I need to write a script so that it creates 10 directories in no time. So, how can i explicitly set a password to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to set password in HP-UX 11.31

Hi, I am unable to set the password remotely. I am using the script as below: ep=`echo "$p" | /usr/lbin/makekey` ssh -t $i "/usr/local/bin/sudo useradd -c "$user_c" -m -d /home/$user_id -s /bin/ksh $user_id; /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/sam/lbin/usermod.sam -F -p $ep $user_id" The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Not able to set password

I have a Solaris-10 non global zone, on which I am not able to reset password, while counts are matching in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. I tried searching its solution in various forums, but nothing is working # id -a oemagent uid=56605(oemagent) gid=56595(tess) groups=56595(tess) # passwd -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
PASSWD(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd - the password file DESCRIPTION
/etc/passwd contains one line for each user account, with seven fields delimited by colons (":"). These fields are: o login name o optional encrypted password o numerical user ID o numerical group ID o user name or comment field o user home directory o optional user command interpreter The encrypted password field may be blank, in which case no password is required to authenticate as the specified login name. However, some applications which read the /etc/passwd file may decide not to permit any access at all if the password field is blank. If the password field is a lower-case "x", then the encrypted password is actually stored in the shadow(5) file instead; there must be a corresponding line in the /etc/shadow file, or else the user account is invalid. If the password field is any other string, then it will be treated as an encrypted password, as specified by crypt(3). The comment field is used by various system utilities, such as finger(1). The home directory field provides the name of the initial working directory. The login program uses this information to set the value of the $HOME environmental variable. The command interpreter field provides the name of the user's command language interpreter, or the name of the initial program to execute. The login program uses this information to set the value of the $SHELL environmental variable. If this field is empty, it defaults to the value /bin/sh. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow optional encrypted password file /etc/passwd- Backup file for /etc/passwd. Note that this file is used by the tools of the shadow toolsuite, but not by all user and password management tools. SEE ALSO
crypt(3), getent(1), getpwnam(3), login(1), passwd(1), pwck(8), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), shadow(5), su(1), sulogin(8). File Formats and Conversions 06/24/2011 PASSWD(5)