Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password set to null
Operating Systems Solaris Password set to null Post 76174 by 98_1LE on Saturday 25th of June 2005 09:42:44 AM
Old 06-25-2005
That should work. Do you have any nonstandard PAM modules installed?

Was BSM (basic security module) enabled?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Set Password Never Expire

Hello I want to set the password for user never expire through the command line. For your information the box is running under Solaris 8 platform. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamsul
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can we set it so people can't use the same password twice?

If we have it so users accounts need a new password after 90 days is there a way to also say that after 90 days they need to use a new password and not let them use the same one twice? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Not able to (re)set the Password

I have installed Solaris 10 x86 in VMware 5.5.I logged in as root user and trying to create new user and also reset the password for existing user, i am getting "Permission Denied Error". I checked the /etc/shadow file, looks fine permission is 400. Earlier i was able to do it but suddenly it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khagendra
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

set password not to expire

Hi All, Is this true on chage command? -M, MAX_DAYS Passing the number -1 as MAX_DAYS will remove checking a password's validity. Does this means password will not expire anymore? Thanks for any comment you may add. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Set Password Account to NP or NL

Hi Everyone, my name`s Sergio. I need your help please. I have a problem using Solaris 9. I create an account with the command line "useradd", with this I have no problem. My problem is I need set the created account to NP (No Password or Non Login). For example: cat /etc/shadow ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roswell
2 Replies

6. Solaris

cant set password for user

hi everybody i cant set password for user (jam) i tried to #passwd jam enter newpasswd : after enter it showing passwd : cannot get default domain:internal yp server or client error i also check cat /etc/shadow file jam:*:LK*:........ user is locked ... and i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolboys
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to set the password from *LK* to *NP*

okay here I go again... I have created a script which adds new user to /etc/password and which inturn creating a locked password in /etc/shadow but I am expecting to have *NP* for that particular user.Can someone help me with a script which can set the password for a particular user to NP in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sintilash
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i set a password to a directory?

A situation where i need to create 10 directories and set its 10 passwords. Since each of the directories contents would be critical, only few users need to access. :wall: I need to write a script so that it creates 10 directories in no time. So, how can i explicitly set a password to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to set password in HP-UX 11.31

Hi, I am unable to set the password remotely. I am using the script as below: ep=`echo "$p" | /usr/lbin/makekey` ssh -t $i "/usr/local/bin/sudo useradd -c "$user_c" -m -d /home/$user_id -s /bin/ksh $user_id; /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/sam/lbin/usermod.sam -F -p $ep $user_id" The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Not able to set password

I have a Solaris-10 non global zone, on which I am not able to reset password, while counts are matching in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. I tried searching its solution in various forums, but nothing is working # id -a oemagent uid=56605(oemagent) gid=56595(tess) groups=56595(tess) # passwd -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
pwconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)