Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How do I search my history?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I search my history? Post 76111 by antiDerivative on Friday 24th of June 2005 01:29:09 PM
Old 06-24-2005
How do I search my history?

Hi,

I'm using secure shell, ssh.
How do I search for specific words in my history?

For instance, I want to search for a command I made a few days ago.
I can't get to the command with my arrow keys.
Let's say I want to find a command containing the word dapl.

Thanks,
Jillian

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search in command history

Hi Guys, This one is, seemingly, a very simple question. I am on HPUX1572. The shell used is ksh. I used to locate a command using esc-K '/' followed by a few letters of the command. I tried to search my command history using ESC-K, it works fine. But the old trick of esp+K '/' doesnt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: n_rajitr
0 Replies

2. Fedora

Desktop search and web history

Hi there, I'm back :D, I have a problem: even if I deleted my web history in mozilla, I noticed that I can still visualize web pages I visited two years ago by using Desktop Search (in FEDORA) :confused:... how could I delete completely my history? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!! ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search history without result running automatically

Hi I want to search the history of commands. for the last use of eg.$ service httpd reload $history = brings up the full list $!serv = runs service httpd reload, if thast was the last command used with the string $!?serv? = does the same as above I do not want to run the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dunsta
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ?

Hello , When using vim, can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ? Once I jump to one tag, I can use :tnext to jump to next tag, but how can I display the preview search result? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

8. Solaris

History search for specific command

How to find out history of specific command run by all users in solaris server ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piyus
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
history(n)					       Provides a history for Entry widgets						history(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
history - Provides a history for Entry widgets SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require Tk 8.4 package require history ?0.1? ::history::init pathName ?length? ::history::remove pathName ::history::add pathName text ::history::get pathName ::history::clear pathName ::history::configure pathName option ?value? bell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a convenient history mechanism for Entry widgets. The history may be accessed with the up and down arrow keys. ::history::init pathName ?length? Arranges to remember the history of the named Entry widget. An optional length determines the number of history entries to keep. This may be changed later with ::history::configure. History entries must be added with the ::history::add command before they can be seen. ::history::remove pathName Forgets all history entries for the Entry pathName and removes the history bindings. ::history::add pathName text This command is used to add history entries to an Entry that has previously had ::history::init called on it. This command should be called from your Entry handler with the contents of the entry (or whatever you wish to add to the history). ::history::get pathName This command returns a list containing the history entries for the Entry pathName ::history::clear pathName This command clears the history list for the named Entry. ::history::configure pathName option ?value? This command queries or sets configuration options. Currently the options recognized are length and alert. Setting the length deter- mines the number of history entries to keep for the named Entry. Alert specifies the command to run when the user reaches the end of the history, it defaults to bell entry .e bind .e <Return> [list ProcessEntry %W] ::history::init .e pack .e proc ProcessEntry {w} { set text [$w get] if {$text == ""} { return } ::history::add $w $text puts $text $w delete 0 end } KEYWORDS
entry, history history 0.1 history(n)