Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please help with Top and SIZE of process Post 76091 by satraver on Friday 24th of June 2005 11:02:37 AM
Old 06-24-2005
Thanks RishiPahuja, but when I try top -b it says "top: illegal option --b"
I am on an HP UX machine using a ksh
uname -a shows HP-UX b.11.11

Thanks for your help, any other suggestions? I thought maybe top -d 1 > /tmp/file, then cat /tmp/file | grep process_name | awk but that seems like it takes too long.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top shows stopped process

When I run the top command, it shows 1 process as being Stopped. This is not a zombie, but simply a stopped process. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tell which process this is, nor why it is in a stopped state? Any way of finding this out? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IrishRogue
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Top running process

Hi, I have an oracle process running on top for a week now, but I couldnt see the same process with in oracle. how do I know what this process is? -GK P.S: when I say i didn't see within oracle, what I mean is I didn't see this process through oracle utility which shows all the oracle process (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: caprikar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix shell script for finding top ten files of maximum size

I need to write a Unix shell script which will list top 10 files in a directory tree on basis of size. i.e. first file should be the biggest in the whole directory and all its sub directories. Please suggest any ideas (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

to understand stopped process in top

Hi, top process is shows like this in solaris server oracle 8i running: load averages: 5.01, 3.35, 2.82 18:24:45 344 processes: 332 sleeping, 5 running, 2 stopped, 5 on cpu CPU states: 22.2% idle, 29.6% user, 14.7% kernel, 33.5% iowait, 0.0% swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Shortlived Process Don't Appear in 'top' or 'ps'

We are running a field specific middle tier application server on HP-UX. We've recently been experiencing performance problems with it and the database back end (Oracle on a separate HP-UX box). We resolved a few issues on the DB server (some kernel parameters to free up RAM that was extremely... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display top ten directories by size

Hi, I am new to Unix. I want to display top 10 folders by size. I tried with du -ksl * | sort -nr | head -10 command .But I am getting the following error -bash: /usr/bin/du: Argument list too long Can some one help me. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Programatically read 'size' shown in top?

How can the 'size' of a process, that is shown by 'top', be read programatically? I'm fixing a memory leak in a large (20,000 lines) program. (The main.cpp is itself 7400 lines!). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: douglaskbell
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Monitor a Process with Top.

Hi, I have written a script to monitor a Process with the help of top command. This is my script. ====================== #!/bin/sh DATE=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` HOME=/home/xmp/testing/xmp_report RADIUS_PID=`xms -xmp sh pr | grep "RADIUS.iamsp02ldv" |awk '{ print $3 }'` PSE_PID=`xms -xmp sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill top 5 memory uses process

Hi All, how to kill 5 top memory used process in my hp-ux. Thanks, Kki (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kki
9 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)