Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing files automatically from a directory after 30 days. Post 76064 by Just Ice on Friday 24th of June 2005 09:54:19 AM
Old 06-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelbeat
There are a fw problems with that find.

1. "*.act and *.log" will not match anything
2. It will start an rm process per file

Something like the following would be better:

Code:
find /path/to/dir -type f \( -name "*.log" -o -name "*.act" \) -mtime +30 -print0 |
xargs -r0 rm

Note I don't understand the OPs comment about mtime not working.
Note mtime is initialised with the date the file was created.
mtime is changed if the file is modified after the creation date ... you could have a file that has been there 5 years but modified twice daily so it's mtime will always be "-1" ...

IMUO --- the only difference in most cases between using "|xargs" as compared to "-exec" is the use of 2 commands instead of 1 ... in a directory with a small number of files, the use of either form is dictated more by the user's preference than anything else ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing files that are 60 days old

Hello guys I'm writing a script and I need some help. I'm almost done but I think I have a problem with my ffind command. I need the scripts to delete files are 60 days old and then append the filenames to a text file on the days they were deleted. If someone can help me I would be thankful. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls latest 4 days or specify days of files in the directory

Hi, I would like to list latest 2 days, 3 days or 4 days,etc of files in the directory... how? is it using ls? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing files older than 7 days

Script help, I need to delete files that are older than 7 days. I do that automatically but I know that a cron job can do the job for me. Any help is greatly appreciated, as you can see, I am a DOS or WINDOWS guy. Little on UNIX. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: texasoeb
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically Load data from all files in directory

I'm new in Unix shell scripting and i need someone to help me to make Script that run all time watching my directory that files uploaded to it via FTP (/mydir/incoming_files), if any files exists in it then (if many files exists, then sort files and load them ascending) it‘ll checks the size of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m_fighter
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with removing files which are n days old

Hi , I need to remove files from a specific directory which are 7 days old using folowing find comand as: find /home/dir1/log -name "run*.log" -mtime +6 -prune -exec rm -f {} \; but my script should traverse to /home/dir1/log and them delete the specified files in the directory. i.e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navatha
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

removing files older than n days

Hi, on AIX 6.1, is there any commande line to remove the files older than n days in a directory ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

7. AIX

Deleting files older than 14 days automatically

Hi In my aix server under the location "/usr/sap/SAPXI/extract", I have a lot of log files. I need a script which is to be added in crontab so that the files and directories older than 14 days should get deleted automatically from the location "/usr/sap/SAPXI/extract". Please advise me.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing certain files after certain days..

Hi guys.. Currently me using AIX 5.3.0.0 I have these files generated by Oracle in /tmp folder.. # date Mon Sep 26 11:53:31 BEIST 2011 # pwd /tmp # df -g . Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/hd3 10.00 3.65 64% 62479 7% /tmp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mushr00m
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help in reading N days files from a Directory & combining the files

Hi All, Request your expertise in tackling one requirement in my project,(i dont have much expertise in Shell Scripting). The requirement is as below, 1) We store the last run date of a process in a file. When the batch run the next time, it should read this file, get the last run date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for Deleting files older than 14 days automatically

we need to have periodic clean up implemented in our sap directory \\sapds\PR1\int\scm\snp\outbound\snapshot. which needs unix script for Deleting files older than 14 days automatically in sap system unix os. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kvkreddy_b2w
1 Replies
crontab(5)							File Formats Manual							crontab(5)

Name
       crontab - clock daemon table file

Syntax
       /usr/lib/crontab

Description
       The  command  executes  at  specified dates and times according to the instructions in the file. The file consists of lines with six fields
       each.  The format for a line is as follows:

minute hour day month weekday command

The following list defines each field in the line:

minute (0-59)  The exact minute that the command sequence executes.

hour (0-23)    The hour of the day that the command sequence executes.

day (1-31)     The day of the month that the command sequence executes.

month (1-12)   The month of the year that the command sequence executes.

weekday (1-7)  The day of the week that the command sequence executes. Monday = 1, Tuesday = 2, and so forth.

command	      The complete command sequence variable that is to be executed.  Note that the command string must conform  to  Bourne  shell
		      syntax.

The first five integer fields may be specified as follows:

o   A single number in the specified range

o   Two numbers separated by a minus, meaning a range inclusive

o   A list of numbers separated by commas, meaning any of the numbers

o   An asterisk meaning all legal values

The sixth field is a string that is executed by the shell at the specified times.  A percent sign (%) in this field is translated to a new-
       line character.	Only the first line of the command field, up to a percent sign (%) or end of line, is executed by the  shell.	The  other
       lines are made available to the command as standard input.

Examples
       The following example is part of a file:
       # periodic things
       0,15,30,45 * * * * (echo '^M' `date`; echo '') >/dev/console
       0,15,30,45 * * * * /usr/lib/atrun

# daily stuff
       5 4 * * * sh /usr/adm/newsyslog
       15 4 * * * ( cd /usr/preserve; find . -mtime +7 -a -exec rm -f {} ; )
       20 4 * * * find /usr/msgs -mtime +21 -a ! -perm 444 -a ! -name bounds
	    -a -exec rm -f {} ;

# NOTE: The above line is wrapped.

# local cleanups
       30 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name df-exec rm {} ;
       35 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name tf-exec rm {} ;
       40 4 * * * find /usr/spool/rwho -type f -mtime +21 -exec rm {} ;
       #

# redirecting error output
       0 17 * * 1,3,5 /bin/tar -cv /usr/sysads/smith > /dev/console 2>&1
       #

Files
See Also
       sh(1), cron(8)
       Guide to System Environment Setup

crontab(5)