Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Nested while read line loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Nested while read line loop Post 76012 by Rakker on Friday 24th of June 2005 03:26:14 AM
Old 06-24-2005
Sorry for the short info Smilie : im using the ksh on a sun/solaris and the input data is as following:

To describe the input data is quite complicated, but in a nutshell : I have a a flat-ascii file which contains directory-names. This file I want to read and with every red file, I'm reading the directories on an ftp-site. Then conditionally, after executing an Oracle-database package another text file is written (by this package). This is also a flat file with every line containing a path-name and jpg-filename. In the second read I have to create the path and copy the jpg-file. I hope its a little more clear now. The sollution of Jim is perfect, but I was just curious if I could make a nested while loop reading files...

Thanx for your replies and greetings,
Rakker

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while read loop w/ a nested if statement - doesn't treat each entry individually

Hi - Trying to take a list of ldap suffixes in a file, run an ldapsearch command on them, then run a grep command to see if it's a match, if not, then flag that and send an email alert. The list file (ldaplist) would look like - *********** o=company a o=company b *********** **... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alternative for a while read line loop

HELLO all :), I have been trying to use a simple while loop to read a file " templist", line by line and perform an action. See the code below. The reason for not using a while read line loop is the for the use of the if condition that wouldn't work. I would appreciate some ideas as this has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kabs
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line in a for loop

Hi All, How can we use read line using the index value of a FOR loop? eg: pt_mstr,pt_status,8 pt_mstr,pt_buyer,8 pt_mstr,pt_sfty_stk,8 pt_mstr,pt_ord_pol,3 pt_mstr,pt_capacity,8 pt_mstr,pt_plan_ord,3 pt_mstr,pt_ord_mult,8 From this file i want to read the line2, 3 and 4 only using a FOR... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajim
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read line loop

Hi I'm writing a bash script which will read an input file and look for occurrences of the current user ($USER) executing the script. When i find the occurrence of the username I take that line and append it to a file with a line number and bracket display next to line. The input file has been... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: BundBash
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop read line Issue

Hi I am using while loop, below, to read lines from a very large file, around 400,000 rows. The script works fine until around line 300k but then starts giving incorrect result. I have tried running the script with a smaller data set and it works fine. I made sure to include the line where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkumar198
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop read line not working

Hi, I am trying to read a file line by line inside of a while loop. This while loop is part of a here document. while read line do ssh -t $2@$remotehost <<REMOTE ls path/to/dir > $path_to_dir while read line1 do echo "LINE --- $line" done... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file using while loop not reading last line

I have written a script to read the file line by line. It is reading and printing the lines. But it is coming out of loop before reading last line. So I am not able to print last line. How do I solve it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while read line loop question

#!/bin/bash count=1 while read line do if (($count > 4)); then awk -v var1="$count" '{printf "%3s%8s%11s%11s%11s\n",var1,$2,$3,$4,$5}' else echo $line fi count=$((count+1)) done < posre_sub.itp > test cat test INPUT: ; position restraints for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF awk in a while read line-loop

Hi As a newbe in scripting, i struggle hard with my first script. What i want to do is, bringing data of two files together. file1: .... 05/14/12-04:00:00 41253 4259 5135 5604 5812 5372 05/14/12-04:10:00 53408 5501 6592 7402 7354 6639 05/14/12-04:20:00 58748 6037 7292 8223... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read line loop

Based on text file: PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title1 FILE:/media/cache/281662-14.jpg PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title2 FILE:/media/cache/281662-15.jpg PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title3 FILE:/media/cache/281662-16.jpg PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title4 FILE:/media/cache/281662-17.jpg... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
12 Replies
line(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           line(1)

NAME
line - read one line SYNOPSIS
line DESCRIPTION
The line utility copies one line (up to and including a new-line) from the standard input and writes it on the standard output. It returns an exit status of 1 on EOF and always prints at least a new-line. It is often used within shell files to read from the user's terminal. EXIT STATUS
Exit status is: 0 Successful completion >0 End-of-file on input. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 line(1)