Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Nested while read line loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Nested while read line loop Post 76012 by Rakker on Friday 24th of June 2005 03:26:14 AM
Old 06-24-2005
Sorry for the short info Smilie : im using the ksh on a sun/solaris and the input data is as following:

To describe the input data is quite complicated, but in a nutshell : I have a a flat-ascii file which contains directory-names. This file I want to read and with every red file, I'm reading the directories on an ftp-site. Then conditionally, after executing an Oracle-database package another text file is written (by this package). This is also a flat file with every line containing a path-name and jpg-filename. In the second read I have to create the path and copy the jpg-file. I hope its a little more clear now. The sollution of Jim is perfect, but I was just curious if I could make a nested while loop reading files...

Thanx for your replies and greetings,
Rakker

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while read loop w/ a nested if statement - doesn't treat each entry individually

Hi - Trying to take a list of ldap suffixes in a file, run an ldapsearch command on them, then run a grep command to see if it's a match, if not, then flag that and send an email alert. The list file (ldaplist) would look like - *********** o=company a o=company b *********** **... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alternative for a while read line loop

HELLO all :), I have been trying to use a simple while loop to read a file " templist", line by line and perform an action. See the code below. The reason for not using a while read line loop is the for the use of the if condition that wouldn't work. I would appreciate some ideas as this has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kabs
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line in a for loop

Hi All, How can we use read line using the index value of a FOR loop? eg: pt_mstr,pt_status,8 pt_mstr,pt_buyer,8 pt_mstr,pt_sfty_stk,8 pt_mstr,pt_ord_pol,3 pt_mstr,pt_capacity,8 pt_mstr,pt_plan_ord,3 pt_mstr,pt_ord_mult,8 From this file i want to read the line2, 3 and 4 only using a FOR... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajim
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read line loop

Hi I'm writing a bash script which will read an input file and look for occurrences of the current user ($USER) executing the script. When i find the occurrence of the username I take that line and append it to a file with a line number and bracket display next to line. The input file has been... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: BundBash
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop read line Issue

Hi I am using while loop, below, to read lines from a very large file, around 400,000 rows. The script works fine until around line 300k but then starts giving incorrect result. I have tried running the script with a smaller data set and it works fine. I made sure to include the line where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkumar198
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop read line not working

Hi, I am trying to read a file line by line inside of a while loop. This while loop is part of a here document. while read line do ssh -t $2@$remotehost <<REMOTE ls path/to/dir > $path_to_dir while read line1 do echo "LINE --- $line" done... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file using while loop not reading last line

I have written a script to read the file line by line. It is reading and printing the lines. But it is coming out of loop before reading last line. So I am not able to print last line. How do I solve it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while read line loop question

#!/bin/bash count=1 while read line do if (($count > 4)); then awk -v var1="$count" '{printf "%3s%8s%11s%11s%11s\n",var1,$2,$3,$4,$5}' else echo $line fi count=$((count+1)) done < posre_sub.itp > test cat test INPUT: ; position restraints for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF awk in a while read line-loop

Hi As a newbe in scripting, i struggle hard with my first script. What i want to do is, bringing data of two files together. file1: .... 05/14/12-04:00:00 41253 4259 5135 5604 5812 5372 05/14/12-04:10:00 53408 5501 6592 7402 7354 6639 05/14/12-04:20:00 58748 6037 7292 8223... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read line loop

Based on text file: PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title1 FILE:/media/cache/281662-14.jpg PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title2 FILE:/media/cache/281662-15.jpg PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title3 FILE:/media/cache/281662-16.jpg PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title4 FILE:/media/cache/281662-17.jpg... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
12 Replies
MRENAME(1)						      General Commands Manual							MRENAME(1)

NAME
mrename - program to rename files SYNOPSIS
mrename 'pattern' prefix [option] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the mrename command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. mrename is a tool for easy and automatic renaming of many files. The 'pattern' is the pattern to search files to rename (quoted to avoid that bash resolve it), and prefix is the prefix that will be added to the name of each file. The two alternative options for copying or moving files in the new name are explained below. All parameters are needed, and you have to stay and launch the script in the same direc- tory of the files to be renamed. The program should be able to write in this directory. OPTIONS
There are only the following three options. -c The option -c will copy each file with the new filename. -m The option -m will move each file in the new filename. -h Display help. EXAMPLE
If you have a directory with two jpeg images prof.jpg and forp.jpg and you want to add them a prefix like item0, item1 etc.. (that is item0prof.jpg, item1forp.jpg etc..) do this: cd /path/to/the/images mrename '*.jpg' item -c to copy each matching file into another with the new name mrename '*.jpg' item -m to rename each file without keeping a copy with the previous name Word-Wide-Web: http://alfalinux.sourceforge.net/mrename.php3 AUTHOR
: Giancarlo -rofus- Erra e-mail: rofus@mindless.com This manual page was written by Dr. Guenter Bechly <gbechly@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). It is distributed under the GPL just like mrename itself. October 22, 2000 MRENAME(1)